1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does Morey need to make a move?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OTMax, Dec 16, 2017.

1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Mirotic can give shooting and some shot blocking I'm not sure if Marvin Williams can be a difference maker, he does have an all round game though. Tobias is nice for spacing the floor, his defense is weak. Morey shouldn't trade for any of them. A Tyson Chandler buyout is fine with me, and Mirotic too.

2. saleem

Unfortunately that's most unlikely. Referring to acquiring Jonathan Simmons for a cheap price.

3. Sino rocketfan

I agree ! I'm just totally sick of Bobby Brown or Jackson..... As soon as they take the ball in garbage time, they shoot as quickly as they fire in the hole or something like that....They would rather shoot in traffic than pass the ball to their teammates.

ghettocheeze likes this.
  4. riko

riko Member

Man he would be great. Solid 3p shooter and good defender . He would be great for 8 to 14 minutes a night and will help reduce EG's minutes( keep him fresh for the playoffs)

Pen15clubber likes this.
  5. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Bobby Marks said on the Mannix Podcast that the Nets would likely be looking to trade Joe Harris for a good 2nd rounder (Harris is an unrestricted FA after this year).

6'6", 220lbs, high-volume 3PT shooter, and capable of playing some scrappy defense. He'd be a real nice fit.

D-rock likes this.
  6. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

lol pretty good breh

Pen15clubber and RasaqBoi like this.
  7. cebu

cebu Member

Barbosa is definitely an upgrade from Brown.

D-rock likes this.
  8. Madclownpacasum

9. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I agree.

I wouldn’t trade for any of them. Disrupting the current chemistry of rotational players would not be recommended.
    Rockets have few assets. D Jackson, B Weber, Bobby Brown, Chinanu, Troy Williams, Zhou Qi.

Troy Williams and Zhou Qi are the only ones I would consider trading (only guys with some value). I might
    include T Black for Tyson Chandler. All T Black needs is game time practice to improve in this system.
    I believe in T Black; but can also go along with bringing in Tyson Chandler. His numbers this year with
    Phoenix are fantastic, and will have greater efficiency with Houston. Tyson buyout joining Houston
    probably gets Black released.

I have confidence in Troy Williams given more mins. Problem is the Rockets don’t have assets outside
    of him and Zhou Qi. The trade would be for a relatively smaller contract like the Lyles contract for
    example. Would SVG still be interested in Ryno? Tobias is shooting 44% from 3 last time I looked.

IMHO. Rockets are 3 deep at most positions except one: power forward.
    PG: CP3/Harden/E Gordon
    SG: Harden/E Gordon/CP3/Ariza (if Ariza is asked to guard shooting guards; then he can play SG)
    SF: Ariza/Luc MaM/Tucker.......Troy Williams
    PF: Ryan Anderson
    C: Capela/Nene/T Black

I good with a small-ball lineup of using a SF at PF for short periods; but I’m not a fan of using the small-ball lineup
    in the event Ryan Anderson gets injured in the PO’s. This position is our Achilles heel. A Gerald Henderson or Barbosa
    addition works for me. Tobias Harris or Marvin Williams are the type of PF’s that are a notch above Tucker
    and Luc MaM offensively. Then it becomes running the big power forwards off the court with Marvin Williams
    or Tobias Harris. It can work. I wanted a bigger counter to the LMA/Pau Gasol combo or the Cousins/A Davis
    combo. I can see the concept with Harris or Marvin addition. It will be about the plus/minus.
    Can the points created for Houston with either Harris or Williams on the court be > than the points allowed
    by a Cousins/A Davis type combo provided to the opposition.

10. saleem

What is his shooting percentage like?
    He needs to realize that he won't get much minutes here. I'm sorry I haven't looked at his contract, so I would appreciate your assistance in this matter.

11. saleem

I like your post. My thoughts are that Black won't get much minutes unless Nene is out for a very long time, and that would be a blow for us. Tyson is better, more experienced and a quick
    plug in, if he agrees to a buyout. I would go for Henderson instead of Barbosa, because of the younger age factor. However, I'm not sure if Gerald is fit after hip injury.

Capela, Nene, Tyson can work. The Rockets would be able to have a competent center at all times on the court. This is important going forth, especially with the need for added defense, and some extra offense from this spot. Tyson can hit the occasional double digits like Nene.

Ryan has been better this year for sure, Tucker is a better defender at the 4 than as a scorer, so adding a different type of 4 to complement Ryan's spacing would be useful.
    Tobias is more athletic, but his strength is scoring/ spacing. Can Marvin provide the defense and complementary scoring in a pinch whenever needed, to reduce pressure off Tucker? PJ, Luc and Ariza would be free to continue to wreak havoc on our opponents. Troy would have to go, Tarik too, and even unfortunately Zhou for this to happen I think. Please feel free for your comments and suggestions.

The Rockets have a golden opportunity to take further steps in order to win a NBA Championship in 2018. I hope that we will succeed with hard work, team commitment and some luck.

Go Houston Rockets!

12. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Ryan Anderson was underrated last season but these season he's become overrated. There are multiple games where he basically scores less than 10 points and doesn't contribute much on the defense so D'antoni pulls him. The last game where he had 0 points while playing 20 minutes, you can replace him with any tweener 4 who can shoot and we'll be better off.

13. saleem

I admit I don't know if the above suggestions that I made can even fit in with the current cap situation. So please forgive my ignorance in this matter. I hope that Bima or any other capologist could chime in here.

14. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Going back to last year he's shot .434 FG% / .378 3P% on 4.7 3PA/G (7.4 3PA/36min) on a Nets team without a lot of talent. He makes $1.5MM this year, then he's an unrestricted free agent, which is why the Nets would presumably be looking to trade him.

saleem likes this.
  15. saleem

Yes, I looked at his contract numbers on Spotrac just before reading this post of yours. He is strong, 26 years old, with depth from the 3 point range. Cut Jackson, and add him. He will have to adapt to getting fewer minutes here .

#95 saleem, Dec 18, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  16. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I agree with you in many ways saleem. I was not aware of Gerald Henderson hip injury. From what I googled
    his surgery was around August 4th (this past summer). Isaiah Thomas from what I gathered was late August
    to early Sept. Not all hip surgeries are equal. Looks like Thomas was a torn hip labrum....perhaps more.
    Isaiah will play in January; no need to bring in Henderson and take a chance. Barbosa is listed as 35 y/o.
    Ginobli was listed as 39 y/o last year and blocked Harden from behind. Barbosa is savvy in much the same
    way. Ginobli is shooting like 28% from 3 this year at age 40. The comparison would be better between
    Barbosa & Bobby Brown. Will Harden allow a Bobby Brown move?

Getting to the crutch of the matter. As I mentioned before, my concern is big center with big power forward.
    In most cases the Rockets can play both Capela and Nene on the court at the same time. With Pels
    that’s a bit tricky. Both Cousins and Anthony Davis shoot 3’s; while neither Nene nor Capela shoot 3’s
    with any regularity. Advantage New Orleans. Put Tucker or Ariza or Luc on A Davis or Cousins can
    be a problem. Now Ryan actually played well vs Pels Cousins recently. Ariza played well recently
    against Pels Cousins. But A. Davis didn’t play.

17/18
    Anthony Davis: 35% (3P%), 25.2 pts/gm
    Cousins: 36% (3P%), 26.2 pts/gm

E’Twaun Moore: 48% (3P%), 13.2 pts/gm
    Rondo: 38% (3P%), 7.8 pts/gm
    Jameer Nelson: 38% (3P%), 5.9 pts/gm
    Ian Clark: 32% (3P%), 4.7 pts/gm.......capable of higher marks as per with GSW’s
    Jrue Holiday: 33% (3P%), 18.1 pts/gm

So my concern is that the Pels are 7th seed currently. Cousins/Anthony Davis concern me
    more than LaMarcus Aldridge/Pau Gasol because of the 3-Point shooting ability of Boogie/A Davis.

But what if Boogie says he is moving on in free agency and the Pels move Boogie to San Antonio
    for LaMarcus Aldridge (because I don’t think LMA and Leonard can coexist). Boogie with Pau Gasol
    and 3-pt shooters surrounding them and Kawhi Leonard mixed in.?!

Small lineups are ok in the regular season, but for an entire playoff series might be asking too much.
    Dropping Capela, Nene, T Black, Tyson Chandler to Power Forward loses the 3-point threat
    (If Ryan Anderson is hurt).

Again what if Boogie says he is out this summer; OKC and Pels work out a deal for a rental of Melo.
    Boogie (PF) with Steven Adams (C)? This would not worry me so much because of the lack of 3-pt shooters
    with the Thunder. Last year they picked up T Gibson and the Buckets kid from the Bulls. Could they
    add Cousins & a shooter?

IMHO. All New Orleans needs is another 3-D player. What if Detroit moves Avery Bradley to Pels, instead
    of losing him for nothing this summer. It’s my belief he is a unrestricted free agent. Maybe Pels pick
    up two good 3-point shooters to go with Unibrow and Cousins. That and the 3-pt shooters they have
    might be trouble. Why, because the Rockets Achilles Heel is power at Power Forward, and the Pels
    strength is power at Power Forward. [Avery Bradley is 41% (3P%), 15.7 pts/gm]

Warriors don’t worry me as much Pels actually. Rockets and Warriors are built similarly. You know the
    Warriors are going to force defensive switches in a matchup Durant or Livingston on CP3. Harden/E Gordon
    helps counter that. Rockets might want one more 3-D combo player at SG/SF in the deep bench in
    case Ariza/Luc/ or Tucker gets hurt. Troy Williams can play if given more minutes. Vet would give
    more of an insurance policy though if we (Rockets) are going all in this season.

#96 ApacheWarrior, Dec 18, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  17. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

Why......... did he buy a new house ?

18. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

con’t from post #96

Houston may have the depth on a Pels team; but the playoffs offer no back to backs.

Starters can log some big minutes.

19. edwardc

edwardc Member

Wait till Johnson is bought out and sign him for the final run.

20. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

He’s starting to remember that he sucks. Start Tucker and trade Ryno for two depth players.