1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does Lowry come off the bench throughout the playoffs?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OremLK, Mar 25, 2012.

Tags:
  1. OremLK

OremLK Member

It is sounding like Kyle may not make it back until the last week of the season. That's very troubling, but it may be a simple fact; he probably won't be back until the first week of April, then he has to work back into game shape. That almost guarantees he will spend the final stretch of the regular season coming off the bench as he eases back into the offense.

This puts the Rockets in a tough situation come playoff time, should we make it (knock on wood--no small task, that). Do you keep bringing Lowry off the bench, or do you let him go ahead and retake the starting spot?

What say you, CF?

2. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

you start your best player

3. OremLK

OremLK Member

Don't think that's necessarily true if your best player isn't 100% on health/conditioning or if he isn't clicking with the offense as well.

It's also a cop-out... which guy is the best player?

4. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

What exactly is his "bacterial infection"? Seems like there was really not more info about this or did I miss it?

5. OremLK

OremLK Member

I think it was a gut infection of some kind... not very specific but I guess somewhere in his digestive tract?

6. fallenphoenix

i don't think his conditioning will be a problem. if anything he would start with limited minutes. if he isn't healthy enough to start, he probably won't play at all. why wouldn't he "click"? he is still the same player and the only difference in the starting lineup is courtney lee (which is an improvement). dragic can go back to being our 6th man and bringing our bench player to a higher level.

i don't consider it a cop-out, almost everyone will agree that lowry is our best player.

7. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I bet he lost a lot of weight. I wonder how he will play.

8. OremLK

OremLK Member

Why don't you think his conditioning will be a problem? It's not a black and white issue--being able to play doesn't necessarily mean you can play 35 minutes at full effort. He's been sick a long time and not allowed to do physical activity. He might be able to give us 20 quality minutes then poop out... you just don't know.

He's the same player, but this offense is not being run the same way with Dragic as it was with Lowry. The kinds of sets and passes being used are a bit different.

9. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Idk but I saw the documentary on Magic and they said he had the flu for weeks before the big announcement was made. :rolleyes:

I hope that he's ok. This is one of the weirdest things I've seen. I wouldn't mind him off the bench bc Dragic is straight ballin. See DD, it's easy to see what's best for the team and not nut hug a player just because you have a man crush on him. :p

10. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

he caught staph from scola's dirty mop.

1 person likes this.
  11. fallenphoenix

he hasn't even been out a month yet, and he will start practicing and engaging in physical activity before he is cleared to play a game. by then he'll be able to be effective, even if it's in limited minutes like i said. it's not like lowry doesn't know what offense they are running. he's a smart player, who i bet can adapt to different offenses.

it's true you don't know what kind of shape he will be in, but he will be evaluated during practice and won't be put in a game until they decide he is ready to contribute effectively.

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

The scope procedure they did to determine the problem requires no running for 10 days for normal people. For an athlete, seems reasonable 2-4 weeks is required to recover from it prior to going back onto an NBA court.

So, my thinking is the scope procedure is the issue, not the recovery time for a bacterial infection.

13. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Lowry at the 1 Dragic at the 2. The surprise line-up will give us an advantage in the playoffs if we practice it enough beforehand.

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

safe to say they will both get 30mpg.

But we have to make the playoffs, first. :(

15. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

It doesn't matter who comes off the bench or who starts. What really matters is who's on the floor at the end of the 4th.

16. scottie brooks

You dance with the one who brung ya.

17. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

It would be a good idea to both preserve his health, reduce minutes and increase production off the bench.

We already know Lowry can produce off/on bench. Dragic has struggled as a reserve but is exceptional so far as a starter. Makes sense to let Lowry work his way back to the starting lineup.

18. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

No reason to prematurely insert Lowry into the starting lineup given how well Dragic is playing. Let Lowry play himself back into shape from the bench. If Dragic slumps and Lowry is playing well, then maybe he can start.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

At this point, assuming we even make the playoffs.

I would settle for Kyle playing at all, we could use him off the bench or starting, just get him healthy.

DD

20. Yao11

Yao11 Member

Bill Worrell is that you?