1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does Kawhi Leonard have Depression?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rockets1995, Feb 16, 2018.

1. BackdoorHarden

If you have seen some of the large burrito and churros eating women in San Antonio, you would be depressed too- Sir Chuck

BigMaloe, AXG, MorningZippo and 5 others like this.
  2. BackdoorHarden

He's been trying to educate everyone on depression just like Ron Artest with his disorder. He's not hiding it. Rockets knew about his problems as he's very outspoken about it since he had to go through something we hope we never have to.

"
    On August 14, 2013, Ryan lost his loving girlfriend, Gia Allemand, to suicide. The event was dramatic to say the least and left Ryan disoriented and in a state of despair.

Since then, however, he has been working on healing himself by getting back into basketball and helping others who are going through similar situations, whether it be grieving for a loved one or suffering from internal desolation. He has taken his image as an NBA star and used it as a platform to promote “To Write Love on Her Arms,” a nonprofit movement devoted to offering hope and help for those battling depression, addiction, self-injury and suicide. Collaborating with the movement has helped Ryan overcome some of the pain and empowered him as he educates others to see the reality of those who are fighting a battle against themselves."

3. Rox11

Rox11 Member

If you really knew depression you’d know it’s hard to do something like the nba and actually be one of its top players. Look at sanders or that guy you guys always made fun of #bewell

4. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

yeah i've known that about Ryno since it happened and I do appreciate what he's done to educate people on mental health and normalize it more for our society. At most his depression or depressive mood is associated or linked to his grief. It makes sense to go through a depressive state after losing a loved one. There are people who suffer from depression without any trigger or obvious cause and that can be entirely discouraging because you don't know what it stems from. It takes a lot of work to dig and determine the cause.

But bi-polar is a different story all together, and it's one of the most overly used and misdiagnosed conditions out there. Can't tell you how many times I hear someone saying they've been diagnosed bi-polar when they're not. Anyway, just not a fan of throwing the labels and words out there lightly. There all serious conditions.

malakas likes this.
  5. Theking

Theking Member

Depression is for p*****s!

6. RocketsFan0

RocketsFan0 Member

Thank you. There is finally someone on this board that is aware. Mental health illnesses are real and people always downplay it or make it a joke. It really does hurt when people act this way towards mental health. It’s ignorant.

7. BackdoorHarden

yea, people shouldn't throw around words like Bi-polar because if you ever worked or been close to anyone with bi-polar, well damn...you know how it goes. It will make you depressed being next to someone that's bi-polar, I know, I worked with someone like that and it drove me mad. Happy and great one hour, next hour go off on you. A hour later, she acts like nothing happened and you go "WTF??? Didn't you just want to kill me one hour ago??"

8. Rox>Mavs

That actually sounds more like a personality disorder. Bipolar has a manic phase that lasts days or weeks even. When a person is full on manic you can tell. They aren’t necessarily angry, but you can tell they arent dealing in normal reality anymore. Like irrational grandiose self perception. You know you’re talking to someone that isn’t mentally well.

Personality disorders can feel highly manipulative. One minute you might feel like they’re engaging you normally and the next they might use anger or sexually seductive behavior to manipulate your response.

Anyway, again education on what these conditions are and how painful and destructive they can be to families and lives is always a good thing. The more people are aware the better.

malakas likes this.
  9. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

I think he's depressed that Harden is a better player than he is

rocketman84 likes this.
  10. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

If we weren't allowed to make fun of serious issues on the internets then half the internets would be tumbleweeds.

11. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Pop is known to treat his players like humans. He may be hard on them but the coach is concerned with their longevity. Greg Pop wants to win more than anybody else and if he feels that Kawhi is not ready to go, then he is not ready to go. They will still make the playoffs. Why not let Kawhi heal completely, detox from pain meds and then be 100% for the playoffs. Houston should eventually take those precautions. Harden, Paul, Ariza and Luc should all take time to completely heal. It must suck as a player that has a drive to win to watch and not be able to compete, but being 100% come playoffs is alot more important. Just because the doctor says it is "ok" to go doesn't mean it is truly 100% and there is completely no risk of reinjury. If I am Kawhi, I trust the man who has been in charge of a team that has been competitive since 99. He knows something about longevity.

12. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

it's 2018. who doesn't have depression?

rocketman84, zksb09 and eman like this.
  13. Rox>Mavs

and if we weren't allowed to correct misplaced and uninformed humor then change and progress would never happen

14. Fantasma Negro

I think he was told that Becky Hammon would be Popabitch's successor and he said "**** that trade me or I'm gonna fake an injury"

15. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

You're internalizing a joke. It was funny. I think you have lofty goals for the impact of your posts.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Did look like Duncan had depression throughout of his career.

He never smiles but his talent and superb fundamentals took him to multiple ships.

[​IMG]

17. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Where did you find this picture? so accurate.

#37 rockets1995, Feb 17, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    daywalker02 likes this.
  18. noppeper

noppeper Member

I am not making fun of mental health issues. I'm making fun of Ryan Anderson's up and down play by
    This thread is in a basketball forum, ergo we can talk about Anderson's bipolar play.

In any case, thanks for shedding light on how serious mental disorders can be. I surely didn't know that, hence why I used it as an analogy against a basketball player's trends and thus offending all wacky peeps across the land.

19. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

There are plenty of people on this board that not only understand depression, but cope with it on a day to day basis.

What’s actually offensive is how you instantly demonize people that make jokes about depression, and then assume that none of them understand it. You are generalizing not one, but two groups of people at the same time. Rather than encouraging conversation about the topic, you are scaring people into being silent, afraid they will say the “wrong” thing.

Please don’t create a PC zone for this topic. It demonizes the entire conversation, and instead of taking place outside in the open, the people that think mental disorders are actually bullshit stop talking at all, and their thoughts fester, unchecked and unchallenged, growing like a cancer.

Then when someone they actually know has depression, instead of making a joke, they say nothing at all, and the one chance they may have had to help that person and understand depression, disappears.

Nobody is going to take you seriously on a board, you aren’t going to change someone from writing a paragraph. The only effective thing you can do is bring the discussion to the limelight.

“Hey, your depression jokes are funny. It’s a pretty big deal though man, some real **** happened to Rhino that no amount of money or fame can solve.”

You can laugh, but still inform. You have to lead people to their own conclusions though. You’ll never succeed in spreading the message by force feeding your views down someone else’s throat.

20. Rox>Mavs

I understand people think its funny, that's the reason why something should be said about it. the fact that people are on here debating about it means at least part of the goal is accomplished.....not too lofty imo.

I mean really look at some of the comments in this thread....is it any wonder why crazy stuff happens, killings, shooting that are sourced somewhere in mental illness and family dysfunction? And when the conditions are marginalized and made fun of as a means to keep light of things or to make people not feel so uncomfortable with something they can't understand, it only serves to stigmatize it.

Listen I get it why people do it, I probably do it with other arenas of health or life. I'm here saying as a mental health professional I'm on the other side of it everyday. People don't come in, parents don't bring their kids in until it's often times too late. Things could have been easier to address much earlier on but there's the stigma of mental illness that keeps people from getting the help they should. Real pain and families destroyed by something that could have been dealt with a long time ago. And so I get it, it bothers me but I'm empathetic to why people joke about it. It's just most people don't see the ugly side of it and how far the destruction can go on a daily basis.

Anyway, to your original point. People can feel free to make jokes about sensitive issues on the internet. No one can expect it not to happen. But don't expect others with a different perspective to not call out the insensitivity and ignorance when it's said either. thats how debate and clarified ideas come about.