1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does Harden Still Need a Stretch Forward?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ghettocheeze, Jun 29, 2017.

1. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

I know the data on this was absolutely true looking back when we didn't have one in the lineup. Harden was far more effective with a forward on the floor who can spread the defense.

However, in the light the Chris Paul acquisition and also Ryan Anderson basically getting paid $20 million to show up for half of a season while on the road, do we still need this type of player as a must-have in this offense?

I mean Paul is going to run the offense a lot and Harden can now attack the basket off the ball without drawing 3 defenders to him. I just feel like we need more thrashers and punishers at the forward position. Players who can rebound, defend the rim, and occasionally climb a ladder on those ridiculous Chris Paul lobs.

I'm not trying to start a disguised hate thread for Anderson. Even if he's traded, do we still want a similar player at the spot minus the rebounding and rim protection a traditional forward provides in the paint?

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

yes to maximize your offensive versatility as well as balance on the floor a stretch 4 is needed. nothing about that changes with the addition of a cp3.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  3. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

4. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

According to @Mr. Motiejunas we need something not only girthy and lengthy but black as well

5. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

MDA's offensive system is all about spacing. We don't need a deadeye shooter like Ryno, but we do need someone who can hit the 3 accurately enough that the D has to respect him for it.

ghettocheeze and BHannes2BHonest like this.
  6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

You know, the Warriors somehow get away with Green playing PF, Livingston playing PG whom are both bad 3PT shooters.

But yes I'd always want our PF's to have a respectable 3PT shot.

7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Chris Paul's presence will command attention, and of course so will Harden. This should make it easier for Anderson to hit his shots, and for Ariza too.

8. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

[​IMG]

Pen15clubber likes this.
  9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Absolutely. If you aren't getting a shooter for Ryan Anderson you are crippling the team. D'Antoni needs a stretch 4 at ALL COSTS.

10. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Green is NOT a poor 3PT shooter. He had a down year last season, but typically he is more than reliable from deep.

11. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

Good ? I initially thought we should move him for a milsap etc... BUT after thinking about CP3 now, I feel like we need Ryno even more....w Harden and CP3 running pick and rolls and slashing cutting .. moving the ball side to side from one to another the spacing becomes more critical. This may be a hot take on this board but I feel Ryno will actually live up to his contract next year if he's still here....

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

that's bc he's really their C not pf.

13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Patrick Patterson will fit the bill in this department, but I would like Tucker instead who can do a bit of everything on both ends of the floor. He can be a good 3. Probably, a bit better than Ariza. This can take pressure off from Trevor, and help him focus on 3's and on D.

14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

He's doesn't have a reliable jumper, only one good season out of his 5 years. Point is he isn't a knock down stretch 4, he's more like Dekker was for us when it comes to shooting.

15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

He plays 80% of his minutes at PF.

16. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Man, I was hoping for a Millsap or Ibaka type piece next to Capela. Anderson is too big of a liability on defense to be worth the 42 good games he provides every year. I can't stand getting outrebounded by Gasol and Aldridge while also having Harden play them on defense. Please let's do something to fix this.

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Not necessarily a starter but spacing is always welcome

Speights off the pine......

18. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Reliable jumper =/= Knock down stretch 4

He has also improved every season until last year. Also, Dekker is a SF that can dabble in PF. He SHOULD have a much better 3PT shot.

19. chenjy9

Supporting Member

I wouldn't mind 2Pat for the MLE.

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

if you believe zaza and mcghee play 80% of the game then you're easily mistaken. DG has always been GS's primary C

Elephant810 likes this.