1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does Harden have the potential to be better than T-Mac in his prime?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by haiti1804, Dec 20, 2012.

1. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

Chucker has nothing to do with efficiency.

Typically this also describes a player who doesn't make the shots he jacks up, but it's not vital to the definition.

You don't even know what the words you're even attempting to split hairs with mean. You're just sure it means something and running with it, as though people will forget you just inferred that Tracy McGrady was better than Tim Duncan, of all people, and in Duncan's prime no less.

I guess I should thank you, in a way, because if people always knew what words actually meant or made intelligent, holistic evaluations of player talent, then I'd have nothing to talk about. We'd just be agreeing with each other all day, instead of you giving me the joy of laughing at you for thinking that Tracy McGrady was better than Tim Duncan.

2. thekad

thekad Member

Tim Duncan's efficiency = shooting indiscriminately. Top 15 in AST% = doesn't see teammates.

You really shouldn't post concerning things you've got no clue about.

You seem to be bad at reading. I've never said T-Mac was "the same" as Duncan, nor even suggested it. I said he shot as efficiently from the field as your MVP while scoring at a much higher volume - ie the opposite of a chucker.

I know, I know, facts are annoying, but try to bear with me.

3. thekad

thekad Member

Chucking, in the game of basketball, is the act of attempting an inaccurate, ill-advised or poorly-timed shot at the basket.

4. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

It can't possibly be as annoying as a poster who doesn't know what a slang term means, but will still make 4 consecutive posts based on his incorrect understanding while arrogantly refusing to educate himself about the word's actual meaning, arguing instead on behalf of his own personal definition.

As annoying as that? No, nothing could be more annoying as that.

5. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

Yet even now you still think whether the shots go in matter. Look at this. Look at you.

6. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

I've never before seen a poster post a definition of slang term all smugly before like "aha checkmate!" that proves he doesn't know what the word means. Like he's arguing against himself with his own exasperated copy-paste.

That was very funny. I legitimately laughed. I've seen everything now. BeeBeard out. :)

7. thekad

thekad Member

I suppose that's as grateful as you will ever concede. I'll try not to rub it in.

8. kaitanuva

kaitanuva Member

Artest was never our 1st option / go-to guy in the same way that Harden is for us now and McGrady was for his teams. In that series specifically it was a total team effort from all the starters (Battier, Brooks, Scola, Yao, Artest) that helped us get past the first round. No single guy dominated the ball and nobody really drew the double team (Yao just got fronted to hell).

9. RoxD

RoxD Member

Harden has a long way to go before he achieves what T-Mac has achieved already. Here is a list of achievements and highlights of T-mac, Yao, and Harden, to serve as a benchmark:

Achievements and highlights of Tracy McGrady
    NBA Most Improved Player (2001)
    7× NBA All-Star (2001–2007)
    2× NBA scoring champion (2003–2004)
    2× All-NBA First Team (2002–2003)
    3× All-NBA Second Team (2001, 2004, 2007)
    2× All-NBA Third Team (2005, 2008)
    22-game winning streak, 2nd longest in NBA history
    13 points scored in the final 35 seconds to turn a game around
    3rd youngest player in NBA history to reach 14,000 points and 4,000 rebounds
    "Top 75 Players of All-Time", SLAM Magazine, 2003
    9th overall in the 1997 NBA Draft

Achievements and highlights of Yao Ming
    8× NBA All-Star (2003–2009, 2011)
    2× All-NBA Second Team (2007, 2009)
    3× All-NBA Third Team (2004, 2006, 2008)
    NBA All-Rookie First Team (2003)
    2002 FIBA World Championship All-Tournament Team
    22-game winning streak, 2nd longest in NBA history
    1st overall in the 2002 NBA Draft

Achievements and highlights of James Harden
    NBA Sixth Man of the Year (2012)
    NBA All-Rookie Second Team (2010)
    3rd overall in the 2009 NBA Draft
    the 2012 NBA Finals

10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Can we compare Harden to a winner like LeBron or Kevin Durant or Kobe?
    Players who show leadership skills and that teammates would love to play with and coaches would love to coach?

11. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Harden is on the smaller, shorter end for what he does. And that's going to limit him quite a bit. He's easily 4 inches or more shorter than T-Mac with alot less reach... TMac has Hardens speed but the length to make it impossible for defenders in his prime.. Harden will never be able to guard a Dirk the way TMac did..... That alone sums up why Harden won't quite be there.... I don't think Harden's even as athletic as Wade at his best...

12. tinman

Supporting Member

James Harden

Won 1st round playoff series
    Won 2nd round playoff series
    Won Conference Finals
    Made NBA Finals

He didn't have to far to do that .

13. tinman

Supporting Member

Correct-a-mungo

Anyone who thought Tmac was ever the best player in the NBA has never heard of the following players that played when Tmac played:

Shaq
    Kobe
    Tim Duncan
    LeBron James
    Dwayne Wade
    Dirk

14. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

This is about 02-04 McGrady, Wade&Bron were fresh in the league. This is a pretty dumb statement you made there.

15. Orange

Orange Member

WRONG Tmac did not play in all 22 games so you cant say that win streak is part of his accomplishments since he never won 22 games in a row. He was part of that Orlando team that lost 19 in a row we can give him that.

16. Orange

Orange Member

This. James has real accomplishments not Statistics.

17. VBG

VBG Member

I don't think Harden can quite reach the peak of Tracy McGrady. The 2002-03 season was one of the best seasons by a perimeter player in the 2000s. It was still in the semi hand checking era as well.

If he gets anywhere close to that level individually the Rockets will be an awesome team.

It's kinda sad how people will hate on him and refuse to admit that he was an insanely good basketball player but whatever.

I mean this is just insane. And even if you say apparently he didn't make his teammates better (I have no idea how he didn't since he was a gifted playmaker and an efficient perimeter scorer who drew tons of double teams. I mean watch one of the prime T-Mac games. They would leave Magic players wide open and T-Mac would make the right basketball play and pass and they would miss. It was just ridiculous).

And RAPM is a measure of the teams performance. Offensively, he led the NBA that year.

I would agree that defensively Duncan/Garnett made up the difference and were more valuable overall but offensively I think T-Mac was the best player in the NBA that year.

18. tinman

Supporting Member

LeBron took his team to the Finals in 07, did tracy mcgrady play in 07? i think he did.

Oh, that was LeBron's 4nd year in the league, taking a team in the L'eastern conference to the finals.

Tracy was in the l'eastern conference too. I remembered it, when the Rockets with Francis/Mobley smacked his Orlando team up.

So in 02-04 McGrady was the best player?

2003-04 NBA Kevin Garnett (V)
    2002-03 NBA Tim Duncan (V)
    2001-02 NBA Tim Duncan (V)

#118 tinman, Dec 20, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  19. tofu--

tofu-- Member

Threads like this fully convince me that it's a younger guard of fan that prowl these boards.

T-Mac in his prime was the greatest offensive juggernaut of our generation and only Kobe was close to, but not matching, what he could do with his raw talent. Harden can't compare not just because they have different playstyles and games, but because T-Mac was the epitome of god-given skill in this sport. If you had seen T-Mac during Orlando and even early Houston, you should know better than to make a comparison like this. It's better to compare Harden to a prime Ginobili.

20. VBG

VBG Member

Uhh, Lebron did not make the playoffs in his 2nd year in the league.