1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does CD have incriminating photos of Hornets ownership?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Van Gundier, Jul 21, 2006.

1. Van Gundier

Van Gundier Member

Sure seems like the Hornets help the Rockets out quite a bit:

1. Wesley for Boki/Jim Jackson: Sure, people complain about Wesley now... and wondered why when they first got David (didn't want to get rid of the oh so promising Boki). But you can't deny this trade, along with the Barry trade and Sura's return started turning the season around. Also, as it turned out, Wesley has quite a bit more in the tank left than JJ did. DW wasn't great last season, but he played all the minutes they needed him to play.

2. Moochie for Lampe: Not that Lampe is a contributor, but the 4.2 mil TE is probably gonna come in handy sometime soon... and not having to pay Moochie is always a good thing. (They needed a PG and all... but weren't there better cheaper options out there?) I think that trade (along with the DA trade) might have also gotten the Rockets out paying the luxury tax last season.

3. Snyder for the exchange of 2nd rounder and Cash: I know... Kirk hasn't played a minute as a Rocket, but he was putting in 20 decent minutes a game last year.. They wanted to trade him, but if the guy he beat out for the starting spot got traded for 2 2nd rounders, couln't they have at least gotten that much for Kirk? I have a feeling that JVG is gonna enjoy his free Kirk Snyder next season.

In conclusion.. the Rockets still got a couple holes to fill and some uncertainty about how the young ones will pan out next season.. Whatever happens, though, the Rockets will always have their farm club in Oklahoma City to call up prospects from and dump mistake contracts to. That's a reassuring thought.

2. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

I think we will trade Juwan Howard for Chris Paul. we need a place to dump his contract. Then maybe trade Chris paul for an above-average PF.

3. tracymac

tracymac Member

The Hornets seem to do other teams favors as well. For example, they agreed to s&t for Peja even though they could have signed him outright. I think its mostly down to the fact that George Shin is a penny pincher though. Everytime he makes one of those deals where you have to scratch your head, he seems to recieve an undisclosed amount of cash, which is bound to be the maximum of 3 million and a couple 2nd round picks, which by the way are non gauranteed.

4. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

Dawson doesn't have the foresight or evaulation talent to make trades with teams with "upper echelon" management. Hence you see the trades with New Orleans, New York, Toronto. Even when we do get very good players like Battier, Francis, Ming, McGrady... it's almost always the other GM's who approach Dawson or the players themselves asking for a way out.

5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

well CD must be on good terms with this guy.

certain teams allways seem to be trading with eachother because the GM's happen to get along.

6. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

CD does have pictures; he's been busy photoshopping the ones Jerry West finally gave back to him.

7. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

ESPN radio mentioned this last week- they had Steve Philips on, former GM for the Mets, and he said that if two GMs get along, they will be more likely to complete a trade. Conversely, if two GMs dislike each other, you will never see those two teams trade with each other.

Weisbrod said several times that he enjoyed dealing with CD more than any other GM in the league; and CD and Rudy's efforts were a very significant factor in Yao deciding to declare for the draft when he did rather than the next year (matter of fact, they told the Rockets management two days before the draft that it would be highly unlikely Yao would be able to declare "this year" and took extra effort at the 11th hour to get it done, according to Yao's book).

He may have made a few mistakes, like other GMs (sure, Jerry West signed Shaq and made the Kobe deal, but what has he really done for Memphis? He's made quite a few not-so-good decisions himself), but for playing a key role in landing McGrady and Yao, you have to give him a great deal of credit for potentially turning this franchise around.

Even Hakeem's Rockets went through a stretch between 1987 and 1991 where they were average in the regular season and perennial first-round exits in the playoffs.

All this bunk about CD not being a good GM- well, unless you put all other 27 GMs up there with him (I give props to the Spurs and Mavericks, unfortunately, because they have done better than most, recently), he's no worse and much better than many.

8. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Please explain.

9. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Contributing Member

Hey Dandorotik

That was a very well thought out response and explanation which seems to be rare around here lately. You have flipped my opinion on CD pretty quickly. I think alot of people get caught up in the "what have you done for me lately?" mentality. Since the Gay/Swift for Battier episode is over CD has made some decent moves and I hopes moves us in the right direction.

J

10. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

...I just recently read somewhere on ESPN's site that Jordan didn't like Jerry Krause(Chicago Bullls GM) because he felt Krause broke up his Bulls dynasty.

....so when Krause offered him Elton Brand for Kwame Brown, Jordan wouldn't consider the deal.

Anyway, just goes to prove that point.

11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

So, you consider Vancouver (Francis) and Orlando (McGrady) "upper echelon" management?

Which GM apporached Dawson about the Rockets acquiring Yao?

Also, you should be consisitent in your writing style. You used the surnames of Battier, Francis and McGrady, but not the surname of Yao.

12. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

the funny thing is,

in my nba 2k6 franchise mode,

i dumped all the bad contracts onto the Hornets and hawks... and get picks for them...

13. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

I upped Stromile Swift's ratings in NBA live 2006 and traded him for Dirk Nowitzki, and it was accepted. Best trade I ever made.

14. H-Dub

H-Dub Member

I know its fun to go to the Hawks or something dump all their bad contracts and then make all the super star players free agents before you start the dynasty mode.

15. Honey Bear

Well done. Besides misinterpreting what I said, you also struggled to put together a grammatically correct paragraph.

Dawson is no rocket-scientist. He'll take good deals when they fall into his lap (Yao with the #1 was a no-brainer), and in the meantime strike up conversations for borderline players.

16. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

I was very mad about the Rudy Gay trade. But you have to be fair and give credit when it's due. Looking back now, Yao should have been a no-brainer. But he was far from being one back then before the draft. Half of the people were saying he would fail.

#16 RocketForever, Jul 21, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2006
  17. Honey Bear

The alternatives just weren't there for Houston. Taking Jay Williams with Steve Francis on the team wasn't happening. Trading down wasn't going to fetch adequate value. Yao was the consensus choice.

18. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

If I recall correctly, there were some alternatives. Here are just a few of them off my head...

'Deal with the Clippers for Odom and parts'

'Trade down to draft Dunleavy'

'Draft J Williams and deal him for a big time veteran player'

Be fair, they did have a not-as-easy-as-you-think decision to make.

19. Van Gundier

Van Gundier Member

Also, CD and the crew had to do a lot of hard negotiations just to make sure they'd have Yao available once he's drafted. It was far from certain that the Chinese government and Yao's old team wouldn't have forced Yao to pull a Fran Vazquez, especially considering what had just happened with Wang Zhizhi at the time.

20. Honey Bear

Negotiations are part of the drafting process. You don't pass on the size and skill Yao brought to the floor. The only mocks that had Houston passing on Yao were those insane beat writers who thought Golden State would do anything to please their "growing Asian community". Houston had other options available, but realistically they weren't passing on Yao. To think otherwise would be naive.