1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does Bill Worrell annoy anyone else?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by RunninRaven, Sep 11, 2002.

1. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is in the Other Sports forum, so that is to say, does he annoy anyone else when he is a commentator for the Astros? For whatever reason, he doesn't bother me as a Rockets announcer, and I think that is largely because he just lets Calvin blather on and on and then tells him how crazy he is, and makes fun of his suit.

But as an Astros color guy, he seems to never shut up, and uses EVERY possible chance he can get to point out that the advice he just gave (or in some more comical cases, might give) was right. For instance, last night, he kept saying that the Astros should stop trying to pull Neagle's pitches, and go the other way with them. Well, not long after that, several Astros hitters do just that. Then Bill busts out with the "Now, see, that is what I was talking about. " Or perhaps, "Like I was saying earlier, you can't pull everything..."

Then, later on, when Brian Hunter and a few others start to pull Neagle's stuff, Bill again congratulates himself on his strategy that he didn't bother to tell us this time. "See, like I said, now that they are going the other way, Neagle tries to come inside and they can start pulling him like I was talking about." I know I am not exactly quoting him, but it seems like 50% of what Worrell says at Astros games is just verbal masturbation and him doing his damndest to point out to everyone that he was right, damnit.

I don't know...maybe it's just me, but I really think he should stick to basketball.

2. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Agree 100%.

Perhaps it's because he's already a Rockets announcer, that I don't really respect his baseball opinions. I'd prefer Jim Deshaies to do every home game as well. What does JD do during home games? Radio? Anything?

3. Timing

Timing Member

YES!!! I've been saying that for two years! Bill is terrible on the Astros broadcasts. Give us Dierk or JimmyD for the home games. I think the main reason Bill does the home games is that he's an executive with Fox Southwest, it sure as heck isn't because he's the best around.

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Bill Worrell has been saying idiotic things for years. Examples:

- "He's consistent, just not all the time"

- Bill Doran was just named player of the month for April. In the 3rd inning of a 2-1 game in early May (Astros losing), he failed to score a runner from 3rd. Worrell says: "Doran would give up everything he did in April to have gotten that runner home."

- Just the other night, Vizcaino up with 0 outs and a runner on second. Vizcaino pops out to the right fielder (too shallow to advance the runner). Worrell in praise of Vizcaino says " He did his job, he hit the ball to the right side of the field."

Raven Lunatic - You are right on the mark regarding his comments last night. Whatever the Astros did was due to what Worrell thought they should do even though htting to right and pulling the ball are contradictory actions.

As much as I dislike Worrell, I am thankful that we don't have to put up with Chip Carey and Joe Carter of the Cubs. They are the absolute worst.

5. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed. I can't stand the Cubs announcers...but if it meant getting the kind of national coverage the Cubs get, I think I could put up with them. It sure would be nice to be able to see as many Astros games as I get to see Cubs games...those bastards.

6. bobrek

When the Cubs and Astros played the last time, Jim McMahon sang during the 7th inning stretch. Afterwards, he was in the booth and they were chatting. Somehow the conversation turned to holding a grudge or something of the sort. Carter says, "Jim, how are you and Pete Rozelle getting along nowadays". McMahon replied, "Pete's been dead for a couple of years now...". Carter didn't say much the rest of the night.

7. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Bill Worrell also has a bad habit of ruining great plays with negative what-if speculation. For example: When an Astros player hits a ground-rule double with a man on first base, Bill will spend the next 2 minutes talking about how if the ball hadn't bounced over the wall, it would have scored the runner from 1st. Then he will continue to harp on it if the game remains close... "Brownie, if that ball had just stayed in the ballpark, then the Astros would be winning this one". It's even worse if an Astro hits a ball that bounces off the outfield wall. Then Bill will talk about how if it had 2 feet more elevation, it would have been a homerun.

And don't get me started about Bill's jinxing of Aramis Ramirez at-bats. Every single time Ramirez steps up to bat, Bill goes on and on about how he is an Astro killer. ENOUGH ALREADY. WE KNOW THAT.

8. bobrek

The frustrating thing about most announcers (Jon Miller appearing to be one notable exception) and fans is that they think if something had occurred differently everything else would have remained the same.

For example, a guy gets caught stealing and the batter then hits a Home Run. Announcers will invariably bemoan the fact that the runner tried to steal. More than likely, had the runner not been thrown out, the batter would have received a different pitch.

In the Texans game, had Lewis caught the bomb from Carr, the rest of the game would have been different. The Texans may have lost 20-17.

Most everything that happens directly affects the future of the particular game. To change the past event would most assuredly change the future. One of these days, announcers will learn that.

9. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Bingo.

That is what I've been saying in every sport. 1 play affects the entire outlook of the game, so you can't just assume that if the Texans had that TD from Lewis, that we would have won 26-10. Cowboys would have done things differently, and they might have won, or we might have beaten them even more.

Fact is, that the course of a game changes with 1 play. You can't just "add on" 1 play, to the rest of the game.

10. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Bill Worrell was the Sports Director for the now defunct HSE. HSE was a premium cable channel which showed all of the Astros and Rockets home games, starting in the mid 1980s. Prior to that home games were NEVER televised locally. Worrell conveniently put himself in the broadcast booth. HSE then was sold to Prime Sports...and then to Fox to become Fox Sports SW.

Now it all makes sense doesn't it? :)

11. Truth

Truth Member

He does suck on Astros broadcasts. He doesn't say anything that would give you insight or new about the game, he just states the obvious and trends that are occuring in the game.

Anyways, speaking of commentators(I'll try this again). Do you notice that Bill and Calvin have the same little anecdote for certain players aroung the league.Example: Kevin Garnett. Bill: " Garnett is a gym rat folks, after this games over with he'll go to to the gym and play another one". Example: Brent Barry. Calvin: "Bill, I remember when Brent used to be running around here as a ballboy".Example: Fans getting a chalupa when the Mavs get 100.
    Calvin: " I remember when we played, everynight we'd get 100 they'd give out chicken, and Mike Dunleavy Sr. would get score the bucket everytime, then we started calling him the chicken man". Can you guys think of anymore?

12. bobrek

The Rockets had to score 135 points for chicken! Those were the good old days. Dunleavy hit the 135th point at least 3 times.

13. Truth

Truth Member

Well, do you know what I mean?

14. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

I think the guy is fake as hell and looks like he has had a few plastic surgeries done to his face...

15. bobrek

Yep, I just wanted to point out that back in those days, it wasn't out of the question for a team to score 135 points. These days, 110 is an offensive explosion.

16. Truth

Truth Member

Bill is at it again. Basketball season hurry up and get here. This guy is killing me, where's JD when ya need him. One of his "self-made" terms would be welcome, such as "desert cart fastball". On second thought,:rolleyes: we're screwed either way.

17. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Damn, I can't believe all the hate for Bill, the guy who has called Rockets games through the championship years. I don't watch many Astros games, so I can't comment on baseball, but I love listening to him and Calvin during Rockets games. They have a great chemistry. Some of you seem to dislike him so much I think you'd be happy if he stopped calling Rockets games.

18. bobrek

I would be quite pleased if the Rockets had announcers other than Worrell and Murphy.

19. Timing

Timing Member

The problem with Bill doing baseball is that he's not doing the play by play but the color commentary. He's terrible trying to do color for baseball.

20. I h8 Logos

I h8 Logos Member

i met bill worrell a couple of years ago after a game (i stayed after to get antoine carr's autograph on a 96-97 season schedule when he was a member of the jazz; next year, he was a rocket....).

anyway, he was talkin to the jazz's sportscasters (as well as turbo, believe it or not) and i then interrupted them to get his auto. on my '95 championship hat (which is almost full; just need kenny and hakeem).

he sounds EXACTLY the same in person as he does on TV.

freaky

yeah, then i went last year before the game and met jim, gene, calvin, and bill. you mite think the tv guys have nothin to do w/ the radio guys, but nope, theyre like best buds. (i still dont know y they dont switch radio-tv announcers for 1 game)

u can easily meet all the guys if u felt so entitled.
    2 ways:
    1.) jus contact the rox at theyre site (i think the "webmaster" is andy ware), and tell em u would like to meet em. theyd be happy to do so; maybe give em a clutchcity.net t-shirt.
    when i went to meet gene and jim, i even got mentioned on air!! woo!!
    2.) stay after for a while; no one will kick u out;)