1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does anyone take stuff in the D&D personally?

Discussion in 'ClutchFans Feedback' started by RedRedemption, Mar 27, 2012.

1. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Just a curious question since tensions are always high in there.
    After the debacle that is the Trayvon Martin thread I'm kind of curious if anyone takes anything said in there personally.

I know that we all can't resist spewing ad hominem in order to get our point across, but I sincerely hope nobody has ever harbored grudges from things I or anyone else for that matter has said in that forum.

I've called people idiots and have had people call me an idiot in there but I always assume its just a heat-of-the-moment thing and the fact that politics, religion, and moral debate always brings out the most passionate and worst of us.

As much as I hate the ideology of right-wing fundamentalism and even moderate conservatism I don't really direct that hatred towards the man or poster, but rather towards his or her beliefs and views... however, I digress.

Long story short just wondering if anyone harbors grudges or really just hates anyone outside of the D&D. Hopefully not... right?

2 people like this.
  2. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

There's a few posters that get very personal with insults. The key is to elevate yourself, maintain self control, and dominate. That's my play book.

3. RedRedemption

Its getting too personal in there. "You're an idiot. You're racist. Etc." All that crap is just heat-of-the-moment stuff... that whole attacking people with disorders thing that CaseyH is doing in (apparently) doing in there is just wrong.

4. Rox11

Rox11 Member

From what ive seen you guys always want to smell blood, and never come in a nice side to debate. But always from a humiliation standpoint.

5. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

There is no bigger pissing contest than a debate. I seek only to do what I've always done in the there: agitate the agitaters.

6. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

"Agitaters". Is that like a tater tot? Or a baked tater?

My thoughts on you, Moes -- you'll do anything for a rep.

I sleep well knowing I share my true, unfiltered opinions and messages.

1 person likes this.
  7. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

yes, I'm a rep w****, my first wife left me, and the Oakland Raiders suck something fierce.

You got me!

8. CCorn

CCorn Member

This thread and all of your opinions are stupid. I hate all of you.

9. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

your vagina stinks.

10. Jontro

Jontro Member

I got picked on and beat up in school today. Time to go to the D&D and show who's boss.

11. RedRedemption

Thug life?

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Calling people names is personal, but doesn't seem like a big deal to me. I think people take much harder and bear grudges over perceived prejudices, which tend to shut down debate. That's why the Trayvon thread got so raw, because of the racial stuff. I remember TJ finally getting on my ignore list years ago, not because he was a troll who would never engage in honest debate, nor because of any of the personal insults, but because of prejudiced things he said about the French. And so it is especially with black posters in the Trayvon thread when you have a poster denigrating (oh-so-subtly, he thinks) the blacks. You can't help but take offense to race-baiting like that.

13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Yeah, it can get seeweous in there. I like the D&D for info, but I avoided posting in the Trayvon Martin thread like the plague after reading a few pages.

Not much more "politics" to discuss, imo.

Less thug life
    More hug life

14. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

I'm trying hard to move more towards lurker status in there.

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Not even when I'm wished dead.

16. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I don't take anything from the D&D personally. There is a reason why that stuff is relegated to its own section.

I do get pissed at the rabid vindication, ad hominem, gang banging, and grandstanding that occurs in 95% of the threads, but then I think to myself 'why am I reading this?' and step out into the real world.

1 person likes this.
  17. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

Life's too short to take it personally.

1 person likes this.
  18. hairyme

hairyme Member

I agree. Bigtexxx does a great job of staying on discussion and not responding in a personal context. Here is his general template:

bigtexxx: [Inflammatory one-liner]

other_poster: [counterpoint]

bigtexxx: You can't hang with me brah!! Go get your weak arguments out of here! Who do you think you are?

[​IMG]

19. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

That is probably the craziest thing I ever read. Reps for breaking my mind.

20. RedRedemption

I just can't tell if the radical fundies in there are trolling or legitimately believe in half the crap they spew out of their mouths... :(