1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does anyone remember fishing pier on Bolivar Peninsula (Galveston) right by the ferry boat?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by houstontexans, Jun 6, 2017.

1. houstontexans

houstontexans Member

I used to go with my dad in 1990s to go to that fishing pier on Bolivar Peninsula just close to the ferry? He said that it was destroyed by the storm or hurricane. I was just a little kid. What is the name of that fishing pier? I had really good memories there and I was sad that it was destroyed by storm or hurricane. What is the name of the street that it was located in?

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Dirty Pelican or Meacom?

3. the11mingdynasty

the11mingdynasty Contributing Member

You're probably talking about the north jetty. It's still there. As soon as you get off the ferry, make a right at I believe 12th street. There's a bait shack there also. If you turned too early make a left once you've turned right off 12th at the last road to get to the jetty. If you over shot it, make a right at last road to get there. Either way, if you've gone past 20th you've gone too far.

4. heypartner

Yeah, I'm getting thrown off by the "just close to ferry" comment. OP was a little kid though

I'm thinking his dad is correct that it was destroyed, since all the piers were. And OP is just thinking it's "just close" to ferry stop. Hence Pelican or Meacom???

Or maybe he's thinking of Flagship Hotel pier on other side?

#4 heypartner, Jun 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  5. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

There is a great pier in Sea Wolf Park on the Galveston side of the Ferry too.

6. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

it's ferry landing, any there are no public fishing piers on bolivar side, just north jetty.

7. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

both long gone I believe.

8. heypartner

yeah, that's the point of the OP question. We are trying to name the piers that Ike destroyed, to help OP remember the one his dad used to take him to in the '90s as a kid.

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Anyone ever been dive bombed by nesting seagulls at San Luis Pass? About a million years ago, when we were waiting for it to get dark so we could go gigging for flounder (which is fun as hell - watch out for holes and tidal streams and stuff), a couple of friends and I went strolling on one of the sandy beach areas that went into the bay a bit back then. Had no clue that they were nesting areas. This was back in the 1960's. All of a sudden, hordes of seagulls attacked us. Know what they do? They dive at you, screaming all the time, and drop poop bombs. Thank god, I had a wide brimmed straw hat that I could rinse off in the water.

Had great luck that night getting flounder. Nothing like fresh caught flounder cooked on the beach. If anyone tries gigging, be sure to notice the difference between flounder mostly covered with sand on the bottom, and a stingray. They look very similar, but you figure out the difference after almost stepping on 2 or 3 of them. Gigging in the middle of the night out in shallow water, under a canopy of stars and surrounded largely by silence, is a trip and a half. Peaceful and exciting, as only night fishing can be.

10. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Is Galveston a thing now? They have HGTV shows out of Galveston. I swear if the water cleared up a tiny bit, Galveston could be such a bad ass place.

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

40-50 years ago, the water was, and more than a tiny bit. Back in the '50's, the beaches they have to replenish today were huge and sometimes the water was damned clear. It was rare at Stewart, but happened. West Beach and San Luis was much clearer. "Progress" is not always a good thing, not by a long shot.

#11 Deckard, Jun 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
    Kam likes this.
  12. cheke64

cheke64 Member

A good substitute is rollover pass. Just drive 10 miles more and your there.

13. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

thats what she said

14. heypartner

Won't happen.

The color has nothing to do with pollution but rather natural geology. The sand composition of the beach and island has relatively high levels of silt and mud compared to Florida. This is due to the source of the river deposits that created the island 5,000 yrs ago. Also much of the sand is from oyster shell vs quartz, relatively speaking vs Florida which is coming from limestone.

We just get a bad rap, because the finer silt and mud in the system, and oyster shell color of some of the sand stays suspended in the wave action and makes the water naturally murky similar to a mud bottom river vs a rocky bottom river.

15. SuraGotMadHops

I've always loved Galveston, even more so post-Ike when certain parts got rebuilt. The fishing is always strong, great places to eat, the charming historic district and St. Mary's Cathedral. It's actually all the non-beach aspects of Galveston that I enjoy the most. If you are there when a cruise is docked you see a lot more people out exploring the town, it almost feels like a tourist city. If you're in Houston, it's a great way to change up the atmosphere on the weekends without having to go too far.

16. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

SCIENCE b****!
    [​IMG]