1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does anyone have details about Hakeem's ceremony/tribute this Friday?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ClutchCityReturns, Apr 9, 2008.

1. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I just went out of my way to score tickets to Friday's game because I like to go to games that have a special meaning to them...the kind that I can tell my kids about someday. In this case, I just couldn't miss going to the game on the night that they unveil Hakeem's monument outside the toy box.

But, I'm wondering if anyone has heard anything else about the night's activities. Will there be any kind of ceremony outside before the game? Will Hakeem actually be there? (I know he was in San Antonio for the HOF announcement) Will there be a halftime presentation similar to Mutombo's?

So far all I've heard is that they're "honoring Hakeem with the unveiling of a monument". That's sort of a broad statement to me.

2. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Pretty sure Dream will be there.

As far as I know, the are having a ceremony before the game outside to unveil the monument and at half time they are retiring Dreams number and raising it to the rafters

3. ClutchCityReturns

His jersey isn't retired and hanging in Toyota Center yet? I could have sworn it was, and I see it listed on Wikipedia as a retired jersey. Have they just not raised it up yet?

If not, that is awesome because I'll be sitting in section 415, which is directly under the retired jerseys.

4. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

They're re-retiring his jersey.

How can you not be sure that Dream's jersey is retired? SHAME ON YOU :D

5. ClutchCityReturns

I KNOW that it's retired. I just wasn't sure if it was hanging. It confused me because in pictures I looked at, there were 5 jerseys, but I couldn't read them. I knew there was Malone, Murphy, Tomjanovich, and Drexler. But then I realized that Carroll Dawson got one, so Hakeem is not up there yet.

Shame on you for not knowing that I know that Dream's jersey is retired! :p

6. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

I've made a huge mistake.

7. ClutchCityReturns

No I think you just blue yourself.

8. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

This is what was mentioned on the e-mail I got from the Rockets, the playoff presale e-mail:

Friday, April 11
    Hakeem Olajuwon Tribute Night

Houston Rockets vs. Phoenix Suns

This Friday, we'll be celebrating the Hall Of Fame career of Hakeem Olajuwon at Toyota Center. Before the game at 6PM, a sculpture outside the LaBranch entrance of Toyota Center will be revealed, commemorating the career of 'The Dream'. At halftime, Olajuwon's retired jersey will be re-unveiled to the crowd during a special ceremony! Click Here For More On Hakeem and His Recent Hall Of Fame Selection!

9. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

the probably going to re reveal his jersey with "Hall of Fame 2008" on the bottom like they did for Drexler, Moses, and Calvin

10. ClutchCityReturns

Thanks. I just looked it up and saw that Hakeem's jersey was indeed retired and raised back at the Compaq Center. I should have known that, but around 2001-2003 I was off to college and was admittedly distant from the Rockets before jumping back into them full force in 2004.

So, now I just wonder what the "re-unveiling" means.

EDIT: Ahhhh....I see. Well that's cool, because my seats are for section 415. Directly under the retired jerseys :)

11. Barfo10

Barfo10 Member

I'm not really impressed with the monument. Thoughts?