1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

....does anybody want to talk about what Kim Ogg did?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Dankstronaut, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

our city is soon to be a better place. Taking emphasis off potheads and placing it on violent criminals.

It's almost too good to be true. Is this real life? Someone with influence making the world a better place? Common sense?

Brilliant.

And yes, I do hope it's the first step towards legalization of mar1juana. I rarely feel so strongly about politics but I almost can't believe how good this is. There is nothing to tear down here unless you're willingly ignorant or plainly ignorant. Maybe that's why it was lacking a thread.

2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I see it as sort of problematic. We have a teen in our neighborhood that is a drug dealer. The entire neighborhood has been calling the cops on this little ass for well over a year now. We've had HOA go to the Sheriff's office. All we get is a bunch of BS. The number of different cars driven by teens I've seen parking at that house is freaking staggering. I don't see how this is going to deal with that besides give them the green light to continue with the government's blessing. There are more consequences to the law than what responsible, recreational pot smoking adults want to do in their own homes on the weekend.

Nook likes this.
  3. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

I'm right there with you, man.

I love Kim Ogg. I'm serious.

AkeemTheDreem86 and Dankstronaut like this.
  4. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Needs to go further but I guess we have to crawl before we can walk. Bravo DA Ogg!

Dankstronaut likes this.
  5. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

How do you know he's a drug dealer? When I was younger I had all sort of people go in and out of my house, hell my parents were gone 2/3's of the year and I basically left my front door unlocked the entire time. I wasn't selling drugs, though. Doing drugs? Maybe...but that's a different issue. Just because you see a lot of different cars parked outside someones house all the time doesn't mean that they're a drug dealer. And if the kid is selling weed, so what? Kids smoke pot, it's not a big deal or anything.

6. RocketWalta

RocketWalta Member

Had to look this up because you potheads were being vague and I don't live in Houston. ;)

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-t...ecriminalize-mar1juana-in-Harris-10935947.php

It's time to look for better solutions to reducing crime and taxes used for cannabis possession within Texas cities. We've come from 99 years for having two joints, to the 2007 law that cites rather than arrests, to decriminalization in the biggest city.

Statewide medical and decriminalization would fit well in this state but hey we'll get there, albeit slower than most.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  7. Exiled

Exiled Member

Worked like a charm in Vancouver.

8. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I'm all for decriminalizing mar1juana. It's less deadly than cigarette smoking and alcohol consumption. Plus, there are actual legitimate medical use for it. There is little downside - if anything, use portion of the revenue (once legalize) to educate about the use and side effects.

9. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

LOL, I can hear it now. "You're going to do what with my taxes!?!" :)

10. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Green light indeed!

Hey bud, let's party! /Jeff Spicoli

Nook likes this.
  11. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

If he is selling pot and they legalize it he will be out of business... problem solved.

12. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

It's perfectly obvious.

13. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

It's nice to have a DA who cares about things beyond conviction rates. Targeting mar1juana users and dealers is an easy way to run up the score on your conviction percentages but in the larger scheme, its a fairly ineffective and inefficient use of resources when it comes to improving overall public safety. You have to focus your resources on the people that are causing the biggest problems, not the people that are the easiest ones to prosecute.

Combine that with a sheriff that is prioritizing reforming jail and prisoner management processes and you're seeing some very promising changes to the justice system in Harris County.

AkeemTheDreem86 likes this.
  14. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

Dan Patrick isn't a fan.

http://www.chron.com/news/politics/...poses-Ogg-s-mar1juana-rule-other-10937974.php

15. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Sounds like good policy, but it doesn't affect me at all. Much like the immigration thing, the Texas Governor is the biggest threat to good policing policy we face.

dmoneybangbang and Dankstronaut like this.
  17. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

It does. Less of your tax $ wasted on these "crimes"

18. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

What Ogg is doing won't really protect him though. Maybe the kids he sells to...

Talk about staggering, the numbers she threw out were quite staggering and well explained to even the most adamant, dan Patrick obsessed, stuck in the mud nincompoop. 26+ million a year, 10,000 cases a year trying to enforce something that is only gaining steam. A quarter billion in the last decade. You read that right. Don't tell me our schools, roads, enforcement of violent crime, god knows what all else wouldn't have been a more beneficial recipient of that money. It's so simple it's kind of amazing it's taking this long and moving so slow.

Dan Patrick can eat ****. I've seen nothing where he isn't trying to keep Texas in the dark ages. This isn't even a red/blue issue. This is we've elected a wolf in sheepskin. If you can't see the "sanctuary city" retort for what it is I honestly feel sorry for you because you've got the backbone and brain of a worm. A shock jock posing as politician telling lies, fear mongering to influence the herd and deflecting attention away from issues that will probably actually affect their lives. Wake up, god damn, wake up. If you live in Texas and think your biggest problems are weed and Mexicans, it's time for you to open your eyes.

19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

So they can waste it on something else instead.

20. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

That is a very insensitive response, considering CometsWin has to suffer through watching teenagers come and go from his drug dealing neighbor's house.

BruceAndre likes this.