1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Documentary] It Might Get Loud

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BMoney, Jul 21, 2009.

Tags:
  1. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

I just saw this new documentary tonight about guitar playing featuring Jimmy Page, The Edge and Jack White. It's good stuff! Two great moments in the film- watching Jimmy Page as he grooved along to Link Wray's "Rumble" and the look on Jack White's face as he watched Page crank up "Whole Lotta Love." Highly recommended. Here is a trailer:

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Rl9iS2egnC0&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Rl9iS2egnC0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

2. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Where does Jack White find the time?

3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

thats something i need to see thanks

4. J-Mac

J-Mac Member

Saw the trailer a few weeks back and am definitely seeing it.

5. Southern Select

The Edge seems out of place, not really a blues guy. I would like to see Billy Gibbons there instead.

6. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

It's not a "blues" movie, it's about the electric guitar.

Where did you see it BMoney? I'm going to kick myself if I missed a sneak preview.

7. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think this movie is more about guitarist-producer types - guys who love creating sounds (using the guitar) as much as straight playing. You'll never ever hear any of these guys say that gear doesn't matter or claim to be a strict adherent of the guitar-cord-amp philosophy.

That being said, Billy Gibbons probably also fits into that mold and would have been an interesting addition.

8. droxford

droxford Member

Not trying to sound like an elitist, but Page is on a whole other level from those two.
    &nbsp;

9. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

this looks great.

10. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

New Zealand Film Festival, Auckland. I think it starts in the theaters in August.

11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I have to see this. I think it's also about 3 different generations. Page from the 60's/70's, Edge from the 80's/90's, White from today. All 3 are amazing musicians. This should be pretty damn cool to see.

12. bmthint

bmthint Member

I'm not a fan of U2 but I will definitely see this just for Page and White.

13. subtomic

Supporting Member

Maybe than Jack White, given his much shorter resume. But the Edge is one of two most influential guitarists of the past 30 years (the other being James Hetfield) and is clearly the defining musical force of U2, one of the biggest bands of the past 30 years. Maybe Page has better chops (in the traditional sense) as a guitar player, but he and Edge are clearly in the same league as musicians.

Now if you're talking about who has the most twisted groupie stories, then you're right - Page is in a league of his own.

14. \/|()L/\T()R

\/|()L/\T()R Member

I'd go so far as to say the following were also very influential...

Charlie Christian
    Django Reinhardt
    Les Paul
    Jimi Hendrix
    B.B. King
    Segovia
    T-Bone Walker
    Chuck Berry
    Maybelle Carter
    Chet Atkins
    Satriani
    Vai
    Eddie Van Halen
    Nuno
    Clapton

I also feel that Buckethead, while not widely known is a seriously underrated guitar player...

15. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

this looks epic...

16. subtomic

Supporting Member

I don't agree with all of these (I don't really think Joe Satriani or Nuno Bettencourt could ever be called influential, regardless of their talent) but the ones I do, most of them have been around more than 30 years.

17. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Uh, I would hav to say that Jack White is a better guitar player than the Edge.

And why James Hetfield when he plays rhythm and Kirk Hammet plays lead?

18. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If we are talking about using the Electric guitar and equipment to produce amazing sounds we shouldn't forget Stuart Adamson.

Nobody really had done that with guitar before. He didn't have a setting or effects peddle that could just automatically do it. The harmonizers back then couldn't just be set to a note either. They also had to be fine tuned after they were tuned. Also note use of the Ebow.

The music may seem dated, now but it was innovative, and really is all about getting the guitar to produce new and different sounds. I'm not saying he deserved to be in the movie because of it, but felt that it was worth a mention.

Sadly embedding is disabled.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zizz...CE8A0967C&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=4

19. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/D7dCXL7Q7Dc&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/D7dCXL7Q7Dc&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/O2VWEA_Se5g&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/O2VWEA_Se5g&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

20. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Motherf#@ker this looks awesome... never heard of it.

Jimmy Page is on a complete other level than the other 2 and it's not even close. Possibly not as a musician or composer, but his work impacted rock far more than the edge ever will. That's not an insult to U2, that's just a fact. Nonetheless The Edge's style is so strikingly different that it makes for a more interesting documentary to put them together.

Though I'm not a White Stripes fan, Jack White has serious ability and if it weren't for the fact that Page already took all the good riffs, White would probably write them now.

Sure it'd be nice to have a Townsend, Page, Van Halen documentary, or maybe just follow Eddie around as he's getting hammered, but this will still be sweet.