1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Documentaries] Favorite Ken Burns Doc?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by dharocks, Aug 28, 2012.

1. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Just finished The War and thought it was really, really well done (as usual with Burns). I know for a lot of people his work can be as exhausting to sit through as it is exhaustive, but I can watch 4-5 installments of Baseball in one sitting, same for The Civil War. My favorite that I've seen is probably the one on Jack Johnson, mostly because I didn't know anything about the guy going into it.

Haven't seen Jazz, Thomas Jefferson, Prohibition, Mark Twain, Brooklyn Bridge or the one on National Parks, but all look like they would probably hold my interest. Suggestions?

The Dust Bowl is supposed to come out some time this year, then something on The Central Park Five next year. But after those, what I'm really looking forward to is The Roosevelts (2014), Jackie Robinson (2015), and Vietnam (2016).

2. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Couldn't get all the way through National Parks due to lack of interest with the subject matter; but Peter Coyote's narration is terrific and it has a really catchy background score.

I think all of those except Prohibition might have been smaller scale projects or before he got bigger budgets, so they mostly feel like run of the mill American Experience episode.

Very excited to hear about the new projects, especially Vietnam. How the rest of television, movies or at least the god forsaken History Channel aren't like this I don't know.

3. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

You might also want to check out The West. I haven't heard the same level of praise for it, but subject and length wise it's on the same grand scale as his other biggies. The photo montage with Willie Nelson's Miners Life in the background is pretty cool.

Nook, FranchiseBlade and dharocks like this.
  4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I loved Baseball. That was his best that I've seen. (Baseball, Civil War, Jazz, Lewis and Clark) People that didn't like baseball before watching that documentary had a new appreciation for it after seeing it. It's a fantastic documentary whether or not you're a baseball fan.

5. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

I'm partial to National Parks and Jazz. Jazz is incredible in it's depth. National Parks is the story of America. (I also like National Parks because John F. Lacey, featured prominently in one of the episodes, is from my small town in Iowa)

Richie_Rich likes this.
  6. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Baseball and The Civil War were both phenomenal, and I can't imagine liking anything better. The Civil War made me choke up more than once, I must admit. Hell, baseball did, too. Made me think about my dad and how much he would've loved to watch something like that.

I have The War, Prohibition, and Jazz queued up on Netflix. Definitely looking forward to those. I fell asleep during the Thomas Jefferson one. That frankly surprised the hell out of me. I'll have to give it another go.

7. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I loved baseball and the Civil War so much that I purchased them via PBS. Just amazing story telling and images.

8. Agent94

Agent94 Member

I'm normally a huge documentary fan, but Burns' docs don't do it for me. I think it is the slow music along with the slow narration.

9. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I thought the Brooklyn Bridge was incredible, but I knew nothing about it before hand. I am not a huge fan of his style but that was a great one. On Netflix.

10. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Too slow to keep my interest. Rather would watch Planet Earth or something similar on BluRay.

11. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

As a Jazz buff, I thought "Jazz" was very narrowly focused. He did a good job with the origins of jazz but when he got to the swing era, he just stayed there. He spent too much on swing, only touched upon bebop, cool/west coast jazz and hard bop, and paid little more than lip service to anything that came afterwards. "Swing" would've been a more accurate title for that documentary. For what he did, he did well, but it shouldn't be presented as or thought of as a thorough history of jazz music.

MLittle577 and Richie_Rich like this.
  12. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

That is pretty typical. The only jazz I have much use for is bebop and hard bop but you never see it glorified.

13. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Baseball, Jazz and the Civil War are my favorites. I purchased the Baseball series.

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I liked Baseball but I wasn't very impressed with The War. It wasn't as all-encompassing as I'd hoped. There are a LOT of better WWII documentaries out there.

15. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

The Civil War was a landmark event, and changed the way modern documentaries are presented. It was so amazing, it coined the phrase The Ken Burns Effect, even though he didn't invent it. And the soundtrack is absolutely epic.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HxDP6q6C5mE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If you can listen to this and not tear up, you may be made of stone. I still choke up every time I hear the Ashokan Farewell.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2kZASM8OX7s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#15 BetterThanI, Aug 29, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  16. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

WWII in HD was much better IMO.

17. Kyakko

Kyakko Contributing Member

the Civil War.

18. droxford

droxford Member

I've only seen National Parks and Prohibition. While I liked them both, Prohibition was amazing (and I still have it hoarded on my DVR).

19. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

For me, I felt like the interviews were what set it apart. It at least felt like the vets were being far more candid about their experiences than what you're typically used to seeing from the people of that generation. I enjoyed the more narrow focus he applied, it made it seem more intimate and accessible, if that makes sense.

20. Buck Turgidson

Nook, FranchiseBlade and B-Bob like this.