1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Doc Rivers Not Sure If He'll Coach LA Clippers Next Year SO COME TO Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pokemon, Apr 28, 2014.

1. Pokemon

Pokemon Member

2. FOBolous

FOBolous Member

Doc Rivers is overrated. His celebrated defense wasn't very celebrated until Thibs became his assistant. Bring JVG back...he has finals experience, is defense oriented, has 0 tolerance for crap, and his experience coaching HOF Centers.

3. ross84

ross84 Contributing Member

I would love to see JVG with an offensive minded co-coach.

4. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Maybe, but for what ever reason both Blake and DeAndre are having their best seasons by far.

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

He is over-rated but is head and shoulders above McFail.

I have a hard time seeing him not coaching the Clippers next year. I definitely understand him not wanting too, but I suspect the league does something to Sterling that makes people "happy" in some way.

6. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Doc Rivers is a fraud.

You can bet he will be coaching the Clippers.

He just wants to protect his image right now. He is saying the things he is saying to separate himself from Sterling.

Keep in mind that Sterling has had a history of racism. Everyone in the league knew it. Doc Rivers chose to come to Clippers despite knowing this.

Now that the Sterling situation is blowing up, Doc Rivers in in damage control mode. That is all.

7. 1510 Polk St

1510 Polk St Member

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

9. OremLK

OremLK Member

Rivers might be overrated, but he's still a far sight better than McHale.

10. tada

tada Member

According to Morey, Coaches has very little effect on the wins... Therefore, expect to see McHale against next year.

11. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Would love to have him as coach. He knows how to get players prepared, focused and motivated for a championship, and IMO every other task of a coach can be handled by more technically gifted assistants. Clippers are completely different. Look at how he'd turned DeAndre Jordan into a massive asset, Griffin is more serious about his career, and the stars on the team are gelling.

OTOH, I can see McHale succeeding if we beef up the bench with better assistants. McHale is a coach that people seem to like to play for, and he has valuable experience.

12. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

He won't come to Houston unless he gets a similar position here as he has with the Clippers now i.e. basically being the Coach and GM of this team. Why should he give up power for not doing anything wrong? I don't know if he will stay with the Clippers but unless Morey and Doc can coexist, Doc isn't coming here.

Would love to have him though. He would actually run plays, keep players in check and use real judgement in terms of lineup and playing time. Plus, everyone respects him, save Bill Simmons. So we can easily attract free agents. Last night, we went to Howard post ups for the first 3 minutes of overtime. It wasn't until we go down by 7 that we changed our strategy. What a joke.

The coach I want is Rick Carlise. He is without question the 2A to Thibs' 2B in terms of coach rankings, Pop is 1. He could do wonders for us.

13. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

SVG, then Doc Rivers would be my choices.

Otherwise go completely young but talented, like Nevada Smith of the Vipers. Creative coach

14. OremLK

OremLK Member

Bill Simmons respects Rivers, he's just pissed at him for leaving his Celtics, lol

15. ZJP3

ZJP3 Member

Bring em both in. Jeff and Stan coaching together.

16. SunsRocketsfan

Doc is still greater than McFail

Plus harden needs a coach a hard nosed coach that wont put up with his lazy effort and D

17. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

Doc is an excellent coach and at this point I would take him over Mchale who has been a disappointment to say the least.

I don't want a coach who gets along with the players, I want a coach who puts the team in a position to win.

18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Umm... the NBA is about to make a pretty big announcement tomorrow about the Sterling thing that will probably make a pretty big impact both on Doc staying, free agents leaving, front office personnel resigning, and big name players asking for trades.

The NBA wants no part of that, and will force Sterling out unofficially or officially maybe before they let the atomic bomb that will happen if they let Sterling be attached to anything that happens this Summer in free agency, draft, etc.

Lets wait and see what the NBA does with Sterling first before we jump the gun with Doc coming to the Rockets threads, or trading for Blake & CP3 threads.

If the NBA pushes Sterling out of the picture, or he sells the team, Doc, CP3, Blake, etc. aren't going anywhere. If anything the league will rally around them even more and make playing in LA that much more appealing.

If Silver does little to nothing other than just a mild suspension than we can start with the Clippers coming to Houston threads, but I doubt Silver wants anything to do with Sterling soiling one of the most profitable franchises he has in his league that will either be a cash cow (if Sterling is x-communicated) or a black cloud to the league and professional sports.

My guess is Doc isn't going anywhere after this gets sorted out.

19. Tuan

Tuan Member

Doc isnt going anywhere because he is still getting a paycheck.

20. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

This is just PR by Rivers. He knows he has to remove himself from Sterling completely, and this is how he's doing it. There is absolutely, positively no way he leaves the Clippers.