1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you want the Texans to reclaim the Oilers name and history?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by celebrevida, Mar 21, 2017.

?

Do you want the Texans to reclaim the Oilers name and history?

1. Wholeheartedly Support

61 vote(s)
    58.7%
  2. Marginally Support

7 vote(s)
    6.7%
  3. Indifferent

10 vote(s)
    9.6%
  4. Marginally Oppose

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  5. Wholeheartedly Oppose

22 vote(s)
    21.2%
  1. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

7 straight seasons of playoff appearances (87-93) is garbage? Ok man!

Yes, the Texans 9-7 division titles in the weakest division in the history of the NFL is really gold, Bobby.

I grew up with Oilers season tickets and during those years they were and exciting (and ultimately frustrating) team but I would hardly call them garbage. And they had a quarterback, though he may not have been as good as your boy Ryan Mallet. But as usual I am sure you think you know more than the rest of us.

deb4rockets likes this.
  2. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree completely! Records don't say it all do they? The Oilers had lots of character, and fun personalities. Billy White Shoes Johnson, Bum and his cowboy hat, Earl Campbell and the 34 inch thighs, Dan Pastorini, the Fab Four and Warren Moon, to Mathews, Munchak, and Childress. They were so exciting to watch, and the competition in our division was fierce back then with Cleveland and Kosar, Pittsburgh and Bradshaw, and Cincinnati and Boomer. Those days were battles, and the city united behind our team. We didn't have people burning jerseys, bashing the quarterbacks by putting syrofoam cups and signs on bridges to bash them to all in public and social media. We didn't have quarterbacks shuffling out as fast as a deck of cards in Vegas. We had our silly songs, and everyone sang in the spirit of it all, and the city was enjoying what they brought. You wouldn't understand it if you weren't part of that era, but it is history for many, that brings great memories.

Plowman likes this.
  3. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

This thread again. I want the history so we can celebrate the history. I'm indifferent to the name. It's whatever. The logo is fine to me. Everyone wants to trash the name and logo because the on field performance sucks. If they already won a super bowl, we would never have logo/name/jersey talk.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL like I said, nostalgia is what it is, clearly it's enough for some to convince themselves that a loser franchise that has gone down in history as the greatest chokers in NFL history was some kind of special thing.

The main difference between the Texans and Oilers is that the fans appreciated the OIlers even in defeat and those same people only live to hate on the Texans no matter what they do. String a few years of wild card berths together and the Oilers are amazing apparently yet in the same breath they dismiss a level of divisional dominance that the Oilers could only dream of.

Creepy Crawl likes this.
  5. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

I'm not going to lie, every, single, franchise in madden 16 I took the Texans and changed them to the oilers.... about 60 times in total. But those unis were bad to the bone, and I have always loathed the Texans name.

That being said, no. F**k bud Adams, we are not the oilers, and oil is not as prominent now as it used to be.

Right now, we are Texas' team, no reason to change that.

6. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Are you from Dallas, Pittsburgh or New York? You sound like an old Cowboys, Steelers, or Buffalo fan.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Nope just a former Oilers fan looking back clearly instead of through Colombia blue tainted glasses.

8. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Hahaha, but I love my Columbia blue tainted glasses. The grass looks greener with them on.

Yaosthirdleg and Bobbythegreat like this.
  9. charlieaustin

charlieaustin Contributing Member

That's because it's AstroTurf! :)

msn and deb4rockets like this.
  10. charlieaustin

charlieaustin Contributing Member

Renfro was in! Eff the Steelers!

Plowman likes this.
  11. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

McNair spent $700 million and 5 years to bring us another franchise, and the Texans have a better record in their first 15 years in the NFL than the Oilers did.

12. mick fry

mick fry Member

Eff the refs then and now!!

Plowman and charlieaustin like this.
  13. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

The hippies who work at Chevron global HQ or Pacific Gas & Electric?

14. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Are you seriously comparing the immediate success of the two teams against each other?

Weren't you 10 years old when the Oilers left?

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Nope, I'm older than that.

16. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

fair enough. I was about 11 when they left and I had been to a few games. However, I don't think that's old enough to really call myself a fan since I had no idea what was going on with the team. I did do a lot of research into the team when I got older and I like their history, logo and colors. I like that they had back to back championships in the AFL and were founding members. I like that they were the 1st professional sports team in Houston and had the only league championships for 34 years. I think that historical context matters especially when you compare it to the Astros who had only been to the playoffs 3 times in 35 years.

Just the name means a lot more to me. It REALLY bothers me that the "Texans" name belonged to a pro football team from Dallas. It's also by definition not specific to Houston even though no one outside of Houston really cares about the Texans (based on TV ratings). The Oil industry was so important to the city and one of the biggest reasons it's the size that it is and has as many corporations that it has.

I do agree with you that the Texans have been more successful at getting to the playoffs but they won't develop tradition until they at least get to the Super Bowl. It doesn't help that they are only +2 in W/L in the last 6 years and were so awful in their first 9 years. Until they get to the Super Bowl or even win, I think you'll have a lot of people who will have a hard time separating from the emotional connect to the Oilers.

I don't think there is a right answer here.

17. msn

msn Member

Exactly. And, true in most conversations which revolve around opinion. The discussion's still fun, though.

My favorite team: the Texans
    2nd favorite team: whoever's playing the Oilers

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I can understand your perspective, and I would have been all for sticking with the name if they were able to purchase the rights to the name when Houston got the new franchise but since that didn't happen, I want to let it die. Now if the Texans can purchase the history and merge it into the franchise, I'd be all for that because what guys like Earl Campbell and Warren Moon did was Houston history, not Tennessee history.....but at this point I feel like the Texans name has done well enough for itself that it deserves to stand.

msn and Yaosthirdleg like this.
  19. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

No, because 15 seasons is not immediate, in any context. Outside of Phillips and before Holovak the Oilers had some horrible years and leadership.

20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Maybe the Cowboys will request their original name back... The Dallas Texans.