1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you want the Rockets to renew JVG's contract?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by EGYPT, Jan 19, 2007.

1. EGYPT

EGYPT Member

Why keep arguing about it and constantly blame each other for being coach hatters, now is the time to find out whayt the ROX fans really want.

2. ind0fo0

ind0fo0 Contributing Member

1. you already made a thread about his ending contract
    2. if you want opinion, include a poll

3. windfern

windfern Member

If we can't persuade Bob Knight to coach us, I'll re-sign JVG. :D

4. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

I am most certainly not a coach hatter. I've never seen JVG wear a single cap ever.

(Although I think he did wear a construction cap...OH NO, I DON'T KNOW HOW TO VOTE)

5. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I voted that I want him to get extended because he's a good coach.

Look at the Rockets record since he got here, when healthy. Then try to make a case against him.

6. EGYPT

EGYPT Member

there is a poll :confused:

7. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I believe polls usually show up a little bit after the thread appears, so there can be confusion.

8. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

9. Mikeylu

Mikeylu Contributing Member

who would replace him?

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

There are several qualifiers you could have added to the poll, like "I don't know," only if it's for "X" number of years, only if he buys me a season ticket, only if he gets another point, etc.

Me? I don't know. There's a lot of things about him I don't like, but the record makes me smile.

11. cons

cons Member

i voted yes because it could be much worse

the great coaches are taken, so we might as well settle for a good coach and not take our chances

think about it, we could end up having guys like tony barone, or eric mussleman coaching our rockets

i say stick with JVG until phil jackson becomes available

12. goyao11

goyao11 Member

Renew jvg
    hire adelman as offensive coordinator

its important that a coach is a disciplinarian who has the respect of his players while being able to preach smothering defense because we all know that defense wins championships

but....
    we also need some offensive ingenuity because our offense seems rather slow and pointless; i often see the ballhandler, either Mac or Raf or Lucas, forces shots because he cannot find a good seam to pass or penetrate to due to a standstill offense.

Adelman is one of the better offensive coaches and he would do wonders being an assitant coach who basically controls most offensive schemes while JVG acts as the head coach and does what he does best and not have to worry about creating offense for the team

However im not sure if aldeman would, after being the coach of a formerly successful kings franchise, want to be demoted to the position of assistant coach....

13. jeremyang2002

jeremyang2002 Contributing Member

The poll should be:

If Yao and TMac are both healthy but still cant get through 1st round in the playoffs,

do you want to renew JVG's contract?

14. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I vote for:

Lets wait for the end of the season to determine whether he deserves an extension.

If Yao and Tmac are both healthy and we make it out of the first round and give a good fight in the second then I would not hesitate to extend him for another 2 years.

15. lastopsuburb

lastopsuburb Member

Can we find someone to replace him? If not, then i say keep him... Because if the new coach sucks, this forum will burn in flame.

16. EGYPT

EGYPT Member

The thing is a decision might be made around the all star break to either give the coach reasurance or a prepare to ship out message. What would your answer be today??

17. McGradySNKT

McGradySNKT Contributing Member

Make him get an offensive coach or he has to go.
    Hate to say it but in this league of offense and adjustments, assistant coach comes up short. As well as he prepares and the defensive schemes he has, he leaves much to be desired.

For one the Rockets always succumb to good 3pt shooting teams. I don't think the combination of assistant coach and CD can win you a ring. After 3 years they still don't see a need for another player to be able to be able to create off the dribble for himself and others besides Mcgrady. In that sense Mcgrady is overrated because he is always expected to pull out miracles and that should not be a a staple of any offense.

I think the team should fire him and find a coach who can take the team to that next level if he refuses to allow someone to come in and help him in his areas of limitations.

Oh yes, the poll seems a little lop sided with the options of answers swaying towards assistant coach.

How about "NO, although he is a good coach, I dont think he can take this team to the championship"

I voted yes by accident. I would have liked that answer to have been, No, because there is a better option.

#17 McGradySNKT, Jan 19, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2007
  18. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Let's wait and see how this season turns out.

19. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

I didn't vote in the poll.

It is really too early to make any decisions.

But I think everyone agree Rox have to put a good fight in the playoffs.

20. BenignDMD

BenignDMD Contributing Member

Only a year or two max