1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you trust Ken Giles?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by what, May 16, 2017.

1. Nook

Nook Member

God damnit... you are NOT getting Herrera for Reed and a low level guy. Reed isn’t headlining a deal for Herrera.

Further if you have Herrera, you aren’t getting Hand.

The Astros pen will look a lot better with one more high leverage reliever added to the existing group.

The Astros also are now t going to only be looking at relievers, they will still be looking for another bat for when we face elite pitching in the playoffs.

Right now you could maybe get a lottery ticket A ball type player for Reed. He isn’t hitting in a hitters league and has shown no ability to hit MLB pitching.

raining threes likes this.
  2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He's saved back to back games this year without much fanfare.

I don't think its a problem... but definitely has to be a save situation.

And today's AB vs Ramirez was something more a fluke if anything else.... but after it occurred, most managers would have taken out their closer (even if you have a truly elite one), if only to keep him fresh for a day game the following day. Or take him out after the very next hitter reaches.

We're also unclear about him coming in for a save situation mid-inning (minus the one out one he had this year).

I still think all closers react differently in non-save situations... or simply getting work to get work.

And Harris/Devenski/Peacock/McHugh/Rondon unfortunately all have set limitations... or they would have not rehabilitated Giles for the 7th or so time and got him back to closing games. They can go get somebody.

conquistador#11 and Uprising like this.
  3. Purvis2Short

Purvis2Short Member

Never been here before but Giles sucks. I mean really sucks. AJ Hinch needs to be castrated when he puts him out there

4. jim1961

jim1961 Member

This time, it wasn't Hinch.

Poloshirtbandit likes this.
  5. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

LMAO
    Emerson
    3:10
    aj reed for kelvin Herrera straight up...

Steve Adams
    3:11
    I'd be interested if I'm the Royals. That type of skill set -- 1B only -- is fairly easy to find, but Herrera is a rental piece, and Reed could step directly onto the MLB roster.

Not sure the Astros would be willing to part with that type of MLB-ready depth when they'll probably have a DH opening in the offseason.

KEN ROSENTHAL was asked the same question and he said damn near the same response on hit Twitter. He just said it would take a low level pitching prospect.

------------------------------------------------------
    Brad Hand could be had for the Yordan Alvarez headliner. According to Yahoo sports. Considering his team friendly deal and the fact that he is handling his business. Also another note Tsn.ca says Astros could be all over 2 blue Jay players Robert Osuna and Kevin Pillar.

So before you go all ballistic look around.

6. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

I've also seen a article where Ken Giles and a couple mid level prospects in a trade for Zach Britton and Adam Jones.

And the response was actually pretty good by Jeffery Todd and Kalas
    The only thing they kept saying was Derek Fisher and a Salary dump like Tony Sipp would have to be inclouded

7. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

So i missed the game yesterday but saw the inning by inning score today

Was it giles who gave up 5 runs in the bottom of the 9th

8. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

He only faced 3 batters but they all eventually scored. The first batter he faced had a ridiculously long at bat, around 15 pitches. Indians had some incredible at bats to follow. They were getting hits off of pitches on the corners and off the plate. It was just their inning. Cleveland had themselves quite a sports day, Houston will have theirs today.

9. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Ken Giles is like a box of chocolates.

"You never know what you're gonna get (unless it's on the box...which sometimes it's not)." - Forrest Gump

10. Buck Turgidson

Too bad you can't mash him with your finger and see what's inside his head before you put him in a game.

11. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

If it's a non save situation, including a tie game then it is coconut chocolate. So far save opportunity games have been caramel and milk chocolate.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

Yesterday he was that weird pink nougat ****.

marks0223 likes this.
  13. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

Saturday was great till A J decided to NOT LET DEVO pitch the ninth. What the heck? let him finish a couple times would ya ?....geesh what a meltdown. Giles gets tiny redemption today especially 'cause it's the stinkin Yankees......

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I presume you’re talking about Sunday. I also presume you realized that Hinch had already been ejected in the 6th. Lastly, I presume you’re ready to defend a decision to pitch one of your best relievers for 2 innings when they had a 5 run lead... a reliever who has gotten worse with overuse each of the last two years.

The only reason both Devo and Giles were in the game yesterday is because they hadn’t pitched since Wednesday.

15. Buck Turgidson

Win the game you have in front of you while taking the long view.

Giles with a 5 run lead. That's the only thing they did wrong.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Agreed.

I also think pitching Devo two innings with that lead, as was suggested, would have been dumb as well.

Both he and Harris will wear down significantly as the year goes on.

17. Nook

Nook Member

When I asked my relative at MMP about some of the decisions made by Hinch/Luhnow I was told that the Astros front office is well aware they have fewer wins than they should, but are more concerned with developing/taking care of the players so they are ready in September/October. This seems obvious but it can be forgotten.

When I asked about why we haven’t addressed some holes, I was bluntly told they don’t want to screw up what they have. The Cubs were used as an example; as they have dumped: Bour, Torres, Jimenez, Soler and Candelario and only a middling reliever (Wilson) and a #3 starter remain (Quintana). Seems harsh but I got the point and stopped asking questions.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I’m also guessing they know how certain roles get altered in the post-season, regardless of how good or bad your bullpen is.

They’ll get a piece (preferably a lefty), but barring a long term slump, nobody on the current staff will lose their job.

19. Buck Turgidson

Unlike last year, they are not in a position to worry about overusing the bullpen.

20. Major

Major Member

They have repeatedly demonstrated that they aren't going to use Devo for multiple innings at this point in the season, especially to protect a 5 run lead in the 9th, when you have the best bullpen in baseball. Sometimes, sh&t happens, and it did yesterday. They moved on.