1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you trust Ken Giles?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by what, May 16, 2017.

1. mkahanek

mkahanek Member
    Supporting Member

Giles may throw hard but his fastball is just flat. No one swings through it. Wags always blew it past people. I am by no means a pitching expert. But seems to me if your throw 100 you have an arm. Is it just a matter of a coach showing you how to use it?

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Wags did not always blow it past people.... and Giles is only as good as his slider.

Lastly, MLB hitters can hit all sorts of 100+ mph fastballs... just look at what the Astros did with Chapman. Its off-speed deception mixed with perfect location that gets batters out.

Personally, I'd take 92-95 on the corners over 100+ that can't be controlled.

3. mkahanek

mkahanek Member
    Supporting Member

Eh maybe I got spoiled many years ago when I would see Mike Scott and Nolan Ryan's four seam go above the bat. Of course with Nolan's circle and Scott's Split finger I guess that made it a bit easier to get the heat past a hitter.

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Coach can show a pitcher how to throw a pitch well, but some pitchers can get better spin than others on particular pitches.

5. Buck Turgidson

It can also be a mental thing, ala Wagner and his slider.

6. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

No. Some people just have fastballs that play down. If it were magically fixable then people throwing 100mph would be unhittable but people hit home runs off 100+ mph heat not infrequently these days.

Among recent and former Astros: Mike Foltynewicz had a pretty flat FB that got lit up when he was a rookie. Jandel Gustave threw straight 100mph bullets before his TJ surgery.

Spin rate, natural sink or cutting motion, arm slot, and release point all make a significant difference in a) whether the hitter picks up on it being a FB and b) whether it gets well struck.