1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you think the Texans fans' not wanting another Carr in Houston was a huge mistake?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by deb4rockets, Sep 22, 2016.

1. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Actually, it could have been worse. We could have drafted Manziel instead of Clowney. Those poor Cleveland fans were so excited too....LOL. Now they wish they had a team as good as ours.

Jatman20 likes this.
  2. Bennie Anders

Bennie Anders Member

The jury is not out on Garroppolo, who every honest person recognizes to be an above-average NFL starter Day One. Some of you suck ups are so pathetic I wonder if the Texans are paying you to post here.

3. blackistan

blackistan Member

Well obviously it was a mistake but putting Carr aside there were other options such as Garappalo and Bridgewater I'd take either of those over Brock. Might just be me but it seems like the Texans are hesitant when it comes to drafting QBs early on because it can be a gamble but I'd rather do it like the Pats and draft one regularly and stash em to develop or keep em as trade bait. The Texans draft philosophy esp when it comes to QBs just boggles my mind. This past offseason I preferred to move up in the draft and get somebody like Goff or Wentz compared to paying for Brock but I guess we're stuck with Brock for now.

4. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Haha thats funny. Can you imagine if we traded up and got Goff? He couldn't even beat out Case Keenum. Now if he comes out this week and lights it up, fine. but I am WAY more comfortable dishing out 37 mil over 2 years rather than 3-7 draft picks over the same span.

5. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

But the Texans aren't winning because of their QBs - they're often winning *in spite* of them. So replace FitzMallettHoyer with Carr and their results would almost certainly be the same (if not better) *and* they'd have a bright future.

6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

whag00 likes this.
  7. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

So on 610 they just played a clip of Carr saying "they didn't talk to me" before the draft. That's pretty bad...they should have at least done some due diligence on the guy.

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Advanced analytics based on genetics.

Working well so far.

blackistan likes this.
  9. Nimo

Nimo Member

The jury is still out because we have seen backup QBs look above average playing for the Patriots and then look like trash playing elsewhere. see Matt Cassell, Brian Hoyer, Ryan Mallet.

10. Nimo

Nimo Member

I don't disagree. Carr is better than any of those other QBs but the Texans have the record they have because they have made some good decisions elsewhere. I don't like playing "what if", I prefer playing "what have you done" and "what are you doing". The Raiders picked the better QB but the Texans have had the better team since that pick. Like I said, that might change moving forward.

11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Guess there's contradicting reports on if Carr did meet with us:

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2016/11...rts-on-meeting-with-texans-before-2014-draft/

12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

http://www.scout.com/nfl/texans/story/1729491-derek-carr-i-m-happy-i-m-not-there

13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

This may be a difference between between a formal pre-draft meeting/interview/workout and just having met and talked informally another time

14. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Considering the player we got ahead of him and our issues with QBs, yah I'd say it was a mistake. But the draft is a gamble. You never know how a player is truly going to end up.

I was more upset we didn't take Reggie Bush or Vince Young and Mario ended up being better than both.

15. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Not much coach and GM can do when the owner takes the guy off the table.

16. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

We should have taken Carr or even Jimmy G @#33 to learn for a year behind Fitz.
    The pressure of the first round pick is not on the 33rd, so it was a major oversight by FO.
    How pretty would we be sitting right now spending that 72 million (or part thereof) on an Eric Fisher to help protect Carr or Jimmy right now?

deb4rockets likes this.
  17. Victorious

Victorious Member

Lol of course we didn't even look at him. David Carr ruins our QB hopes again.

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

20. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Oh man... we actually ended up doing both. SMH... and I'm a Watson fan.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.