1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you think the Texans fans' not wanting another Carr in Houston was a huge mistake?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by deb4rockets, Sep 22, 2016.

1. conquistador#11

I think they're in that season's draft thread. I remember saying hell yes as long as he is not married and has kids, then ziggy or someone said that he did have family.
    Many of us liked him and it would have beem cool to have another carr just to see the threads. I never liked Bortles or teddy. Filo was well regarded by the pro scouts so when the pick happened I was good with it. The line is made up right now with, a back up LT, a back up center, and a new comer in Allen and they're not playing like a unit. so it's hard grading filo'.
    I'm all for brock though.

2. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I don't think it's that weird. I have a feeling the Carr family doesn't have too many fond memories of Houston.

3. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

No but drafting the first Carr was a HUGE mistake. Drafting a lazy pretty boy set the franchise back years.

4. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Fans would be more accepting if production matched the salary. I don't recall many people speaking of our recent QB's contracts.

Also, it's less likely production would worsen if more money (money you're not overpaying the QB) is allocated in areas of need.

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Paying a lot of money to guys who don't produce is very damaging to the competitiveness of the team because there's a salary cap. We are limited in where we can put those dollars.

I don't think passing on Carr was a mistake. But passing on Garopollo [sic], Bridgewater (if we could have traded up), Carr and then Lynch or Prescott this year was.

#45 Mr. Clutch, Sep 23, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Carr starting as a rookie skewed his stats down. Last 2 year's he's been much better. And this year it's not close at all so far.

And yes, Carr is making much less money, leaving money to spend elsewhere (like OL perhaps)

7. StevieCrossover

Nah, I still have nightmares from old Carr getting sacked constantly. Maybe the new Carr might be good but I am still haunted.

8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Wrong link in this thread; my bad

#48 zeeshan2, Sep 24, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  9. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

According to Lance Z. the decision to not consider Carr was all McNair. He's on the record with that multiple times and pretty emphatic about it.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  10. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Because he's quite obviously a more talented player.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It was gutless to pass on him, his brother was not bad either until he got shell shocked by being hit so much.

DD

12. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

It's easy to forget/dismiss, but we have to remember: Brock has 10 career starts; he is, in terms of game action, a rookie - a rookie who is working on his second offensive system in less than a year.

As of right now, even after signing Brock (and Miller), the Texans have $7MM in cap space. They had/have money to go get OL help.

13. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Both Derek Carr and Amari Cooper are overrated by the media right now. Both of them can play and they have bright futures, but they aren't legitimate studs yet. I hear Aaron Rodgers comparisons. It's ridiculous.

14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

15. mario_v

mario_v Member

Another big game. 4 TDs.

Texans smh.....

16. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

If the consensus before the draft was that Carr would be this good, he would have been a top 5 pick.

17. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Exactly.

Thread over. Horse is dead x 40.

18. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

The Texans #1 Draft Pick Thread

Teddy Bridgewater or Bust

I pointed out a couple times that I wanted to draft Carr before the draft. I thought it could be a PR nightmare, but he was my QB that draft since I didnt like Bortles or Manziel at 1-1. I've gone through some mood swings with Carr...after Oakland drafted him, I hoped he would fail and looked at all his games with a much more critical eye than necessary because I wanted him to do poorly to make me feel better. During his struggles in his rookie year, I liked to bash on him...because I was relieved that we avoided him. But now, I would have loved nothing more than to have taken him with our first pick in the 2nd round. Makes me sad.

19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

If the Texans made draft decisions based on fan's input, the entire front office should be fired and never hired for another football related job.

20. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Does it matter? Carr is not here.....and never will be. So move on.