1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you think our 3 guard starting lineup is BS?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by deb4rockets, Feb 20, 2019.

?

Do you think our 3 guard starting lineup is BS?

1. Yes, it is BS, screw the small ball.

43 vote(s)
    47.3%
  2. I think Morey has lost his marbles.

11 vote(s)
    12.1%
  3. No, the smallball starters give us our best chance to win

21 vote(s)
    23.1%
  4. Yes it is BS, get us a star forward you cheapskates!

27 vote(s)
    29.7%
  5. Our owner loves it, because he is under the luxury tax.

25 vote(s)
    27.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Our offensive ratings under Mike D...

2nd, 1st, 2nd

Thats points per possession. The 2 years we aren’t 1st GS is and we don’t have half the offensive talent of GS. Hard to say the offensive strategy isn’t a gigantic reason for why we are able to keep up with an offensive juggernaut like GS.

YaoMing#1, Mathloom and hakeem94 like this.
  2. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Yeah, none of your 'answers' are realistic. I didn't even vote because you're too far off base for a legit fan's point of view. You're pushing some agenda, but you fail to respect how close we got to dethrowning one of the best teams ever assembled in the history of the game.

Basically: bugger off

3. foggy94

foggy94 Member

In my 3 sentence post you quoted I say I'm referring to last year's team.

4. foggy94

foggy94 Member

Yeah, Morey deserves real criticism for bad moves in the off-season. His job is a lot harder now that we are way over the cap and trying to find role players without cap space to sign them, but Melo, Ennis and MCW were clearly awful moves.

I'm just saying he isn't suddenly a bad GM. And it's very dumb to start with the "but he never played in the a NBA!" BS when it seemed to work pretty well when we won 65 games last season.

5. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Some people just don't want to get it man. Any one of these people if you asked them before MDA was hired: "what is the maximum capacity of these rosters' offense?"... they would not have dreamed of finishing 2nd, 1st, 2nd. Yet they want to make it seem like there is something better there or that taking mid range shots will not harm our position. They also want to ignore the fact that no one on this roster is statistically very good from mid range even on few attempts and when wide open (except Paul, and even he is on a steep decline from last season).

Ironically, 90% of our problem is that we are not forcing opponents into mid range shots when we play defense, they are getting too many shots at the rim and from 3.

foggy94 likes this.
  6. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Don quit comparing last year to this year. We traded off 3 forwards from last year if you didn't notice. We are a different team and so is GSW. They got stronger and we are weaker, so living in the past at the "almost won it all" is pointless. Oh, and this isn't horseshoes Don, so almost doesn't count.

Sarcasm about the situation in my poll doesn't mean I am not a legit Rockets fan, so your condescending remark is not warranted. I have been rooting for this team since before these players were born, and well before our GM, owner, and coach got here. I was at U of H when Hakeem was! I don't profit off basketball or sports like the media, players, coach, GM, or owner. I don't make money off sports merchandise, nor do I work for the Rockets. I would say what makes me a true fan is that I root for them simply because they represent my home town, and have never jumped off the bandwagon and rooted for other teams.

I have lived through more "almosts" than I care to remember. So, if wanting more is wrong to you we disagree. Further more Don, no, I'm not gonna bug off.

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

Which they say as KAT is marauding in the paint as Capela is out.

kjayp likes this.
  8. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I musta missed the parade for all that...

We have the best player in the game (even if you think Giannis is more deserving of the MVP this year) and we utilize his ability an inordinate amount of the time... James Harden and a lesser roster was able to carry the brilliant strategist Kevin McHale to the WCF...

MDA runs a high risk/high reward game plan...
    statistically, 80% of the time you can play Russian roulette with 0 negative ramifications...
    you can have one of the top offenses in the league - but you may go 0-27 and blow a substantial lead in pinnacle game 7 - blowin yer freakin head off...

9. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

lol what in the actual hell are you talking about. Parade?

What does that mean?

The point of offense is to score the most points on the least amount of possessions.

Just because we have really only managed to have 1 good year of defense to go with our offense doesn’t mean the offense is wrong.

You harp on the 27 missed in game 7 and say it cost us. Without the strategy we likely don’t win 65, get worse seeding, don’t even make it to that game 7

And puhhhhhlease do not try to come off as the pro Harden guy.

hakeem94 and YOLO like this.
  10. caneks

caneks Rookie

Both Morey and D'Antoni love the short, fast, high scoring team. It can have some kind of success in the regular season. In playoffs, its weakness will be explored. Yes, it is BS for playoff run.

11. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

Mostly agreed but Jeff Green is one of the worst players in the league with any name recognition at all.

I'm a big LeBron fan and watched the 15-18 Cavs quite a bit. That whole 18 Cavs team was mostly horrific. Jeff Green is one of the physically weakest players with some of the worst footwork I've ever seen.

BaselineFade likes this.
  12. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

I agree that he wouldn’t be the optimal choice, I was just throwing out someone that was a better option than MCW. He’s 6’9 and can shoot open 3’s at least. He would have been a better option if they were looking for minimum salary guys.

13. kjayp

It means they dont give trophies and have parades for statistics... and it dont mean a thing without the ring... I'm so sick of people using statistics, rankings, ratings, awards or whatever as some kind of replacement for a championship...
    The goal is to win a championship - period.

That's why it pisses me off when we rely so heavily on Harden (like the year we froze D12 out - and to an extent this year although it was more about injuries) - bc 1 guy cant carry you through the playoffs... You gotta have a somewhat balanced (at least diversified) attack - or its a fools errand... bc the lack of diversification is gonna catch up with you and yer gonna lose...

WTF do I care about regular season record and ORTG if we hit the post season with half of our guys gassed - and the other half not in the flow by not seeing consistent minutes...

As an organization (and esp MDA), we do a crap job of looking at the big picture...
    We dont do a good job of making sure our guys are well rested for the post season...
    We don't adjust within a game - we just "play our game" and try to chuck 50 3 pt attempts...
    We're not diversified and have fallback plans if our 3 ball isnt falling... (its better with CP3 bc he'll go take that little bunny 2 pointers when we hit a bad stretch and keep the score board moving... but he went out injured - and there was no further plan to get that...)
    I'll take fewer wins, a lower seeding and a healthier team for the post season run.

I'm not saying we need to totally scrap our offensive gameplan... I'm saying we need an inside OPTION. Somebody who can get us some easy high % buckets in a tight game... I love Clint... but lets be honest - he cant create... he's totally dependent on getting an ally-oop or having the defense drawn away from him by a penetrator, etc... and PJ is no inside wonder... but more importantly (and the gist of my initial rant) we need a big body that can be a defensive presence - rebounding and rim protection! CC and PJ are great against most matchups - and Faried will help.. but in some games we need more beef!

c'mon, man... that was funny (given our past exchanges...) lol
    and I give Harden his due... He was the MVP last year - and deserves it again this year... imo...

14. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

There’s been 1 season with Harden where we had a roster that you could realistically expect a title with. That was last year. It all worked beautifully. Being tired didn’t cost us. Injuries did.

15. kjayp

expect a title... i never expect a title... I stopped doing that when Phi Slama Jama lost...

but there's always hope...
    who'd have though Harden would get benched and Josh Smith and Corey Brewer would bring us back to win a game againt the mighty GSW? ...of course it got McFail fired - but thats another rant...
    anything can happen... as the saying goes - 'thats why you play the game...'

Plan for the long haul, play smart, maximize every opportunity - and hope the ball bounces your way...

16. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

This 3 guard lineup has far"weed" buried on the bench.

It:s really surprising how much value capaela is too rockets organization.

17. solid

solid Contributing Member

Not when Gordon shoots well, which is almost never of late.

18. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Keep turd fanning, turd fan.

19. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You are far rude and condescending to me to put up with. I'm not sure what makes you think that is ok simply because we don't share opinions.

20. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Similar to our 3 man PF/C rotation of Cap/Fareid/Tuck .. that will be the playoff rotation for the most part so may as well get them as much court time together before April.