1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you think Game 2 was called fairly?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dei, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Dei

Dei Member

2. jinyaomac

jinyaomac Member

I think ref did pretty decent job... I mean, it's part of game... and screw jazz fans!! :p

3. dookiester

dookiester Member

all the calls they complained about were legit calls. the rafer strip touched deron's leg before it went out. they complain that mac and yao travel everytime...right. they say we hammer them on one and end get touch fouls on the other...right. i guess harpring, giricek, and dfish taking turns handchecking tmac 30 feet from the basket and getting away with it is a totally biased call in favor of the rockets. whatever bad calls happened last night (i'm willing to admit at least a couple touch fouls on our end) are standard fare for any given nba game and NOTHING compared to the botched job that was game 3 and 4 in our 2004-2005 series against the mavs.

4. armyman789

armyman789 Member

Some Rockets fans hate the Jazz even more than the Mavericks(i smell a poll :) ). Especially the older fans because of all the times they met up in the playoffs in the 90's. I am part of the new generation fans so I dont hate the Jazz but oh do i want to snap the dicks off those **********s in dallas. :mad:

5. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

The Rockets did shoot a lot more free throws than the Jazz, but there are two legit reasons for this:

1) The Rockets were much more agressive going to the basket in the 2nd half. The Jazz relied on jumpshots nearly the entire game.

2) The Jazz fouled the Rockets intentionally a bunch of times in the last minute of the game. That tacked on at least 6 free throw attempts to their total.

And BTW, was Yao Ming not in foul trouble in the first half? Are the Jazzholes complaining about that?

6. Northside Moss

Yeah, I'm seeing it everywhere. Sloan. Jazz fans. TNT. ESPN write-up...they're all talking...

Number of FTAs. Bad officiating. Ticky-tack fouls. Etc. As if somehow, this Game 2 win were somewhat...not so legit.

...Now, I didn't watch the game live. Was too busy with other stuff so I'd probably be wrong on certain things that you had to watch the game to know. Apparantly there were a lot of blown calls etc. and some of these points rely more on analysis rather then observation but still...think I got a decently strong case.

1. Throughout the last 32 seconds, there were 8 FTAs for the Rockets. This was when the game was pretty much out of reach, and most of those FTAs (6) were on delay-the-game touch fouls. Subtracting the 8 from the balence, and you get a 30-17 FTA difference.

2. Kirilenko pretty much bumbled out there like an idiot and got 5 well-deserved PFs. Out of those 5 PFs, he fouled Yao twice and Mac once, giving them both 6 FTAs. Now, this is looking at it from a subjective POV, but if AK is fouling Yao...twice...can't blame the refs on this one when its clearly human stupidity. :/

3. Yao was in foul trouble for most of the game. 3 PFs before the half and 5 PFs at the end, with some questionable calls thrown in too (i.e And-1 Boozer fadeaway.) You really can't say the refs were giving Yao free reign here, especially since Yao was getting pounded inside. Check the spacing on Yao and Boozer's shot charts and you'll notice that Yao is shooting most of his shots in the paint, while Boozer was pretty much relying on his 15ft. jumper. Yao got stuffed like 5 times, played physically by Okur. Boozer never got stuffed. The fact that both ended up with the same amount of FTAs...granted, Boozer did touch the ball more, but in the biggest matchup in the game, the refs have proven dead-even in objectivity. I mean, for all the "ticky-tack" fouls that went the Rockets' way, don't forget the ones that went for the Jazz.

I mean, the only legit area the Jazz can complain is the 10 PFs from Giricek and Fisher, although even Giricek admitted that they were trying to play Mac close. Guess we just saw the result.

7. B.I.G

B.I.G Member

Pretty much I actually think that in the first period they favored the Jazz slightly as the game wore on they were a few calls that went the rockets way but it certainly was no a deciding factor.

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I definitely think the Rockets got some home cooking in game 2. There were numerous times we hit Jazz players and fouls weren't called. I think most of the fouls called against the Jazz were legit but the refs didn't return the favor back to the visitors.

Hopefully we don't run into the same thing in reverse next game. The howling on this forum would be deafening.

9. smeiou78

smeiou78 Member

I believe it was called pretty fairly on both sides. We were more aggressive at driving to the basket, so it only makes sense that we have a higher likelihood to get more free throws.

That foul that called on Battier when Deron Williams ran into him wasn't fair, so I think it all balanced out nicely.

10. bozo

bozo Contributing Member

Of course it was - we won didn't we?

11. smeiou78

smeiou78 Member

But I do believe that the refs call ticky-tacky fouls on both teams and not actual fouls.

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I should add that the Rockets shooting more FTs was not surprising since we attacked the basket more. But the 38 to 17 FT and the 29 to 17 personal foul disparities are ridiculous to the point of being a joke.

13. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Boo hoo. The Jazz are about to get 2 games worth of makeup calls.

14. B.I.G

B.I.G Member

Reading a few more of their comments I think they are pretty much just upset that they have realized we have they better team. One guy actually said he thought the Jazz played great, but lost because of the officials. If they played even what they would consider decent then I do not really know what scenario could have us losing this series.

Just to add one more thing imo the officials were make bogus calls in the Jazz favor during the first quater but my point is any fan is much to biased to really access the situation rationally. Listneing to them go on and on is sad. They have no come to the level were they are calling MVP candidates no good. :rolleyes:

15. thiuronium

thiuronium Member

The other thing was that in the last couple of minutes they had to foul us to get the clock stopped even in penalty. We get something like around 8 free throw out of the fouls. Without counting in those free throws, we were just 30:17 while we attacked the basket much more than they did.

16. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Who cares if the Jazz Fans hate us..

Cuz I dont.. :eek:

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA SUCKAAA!!!!!!!

17. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

The tables will be turned in Utah........but we'll still come out with the sweep. What'll they beyotch about then? :D

18. rennaisnz24

rennaisnz24 Member

Jazz forget that they shoot the most free throws in the league; so the refs messed up one or two calls (the travel and the rafer tip). They get away with swipes on Tmac and shoves on Yao throughout the series and the season. There should be no makeup calls.

19. smeiou78

smeiou78 Member

Very true.

20. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Jazz fans complaining about refs? The irony!