1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you think Dream would have been a center if he had played basketball all his life?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockbox, Jan 24, 2009.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I was watching some Lebron highlights and was thinking to myself was there anyone as freakishly athletic? The only person that I could think of was Dream. Dream was an inch taller and was similar in weight and build. Dream could also jump out of the building and probably had quicker hops in his youth.

So if Dream grew up playing basketball like Lebron instead of starting in his late teens and developed the natural handles like Lebron, would he have played a different position other than center? What can Lebron do that Dream couldn't if he dribble the ball better. Would he have been a sf/pf type player? I know Dream had the personality of a dominant center, but I think that had a lot to do with learning the game from Moses who was actually smaller that Lebron.

2. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Lebron played football 1st. I actually think soccer was what made dream special. now if you want to talk freakish athletic guys, shaq is one also.

3. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

lebron is much faster than hakeem ever was.

4. clos4life

clos4life Member

Dream would probably we a PF in today's NBA or a center in undersized teams. Either way he would have still dominated both ends of the floor.

5. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

The dream was incredibly athletic, but he wasn't freakishly athletic. Hakeem played handball and goal keeper in soccer if I'm correct. Both these sports, especially the goal keeper position, requires VERY fast reflexes. Handball you'll obviously be working your hand a lot. I'm not very familiar with the sport, but I do know you have to do a lot of blocking.

For soccer, I'm sure Hakeem practiced a lot footwork and position (important for the last line of defense in soccer). I've played as a goal keeper in soccer, and one thing you need to have is VERY quick feet for getting off the ground to dive and block the ball. Your hands also need to be on the right spot to catch and knock the ball away.

I wouldn't alter history and say Hakeem would be a different player. His previous sports gave him the quick hands and feet necessary for post games and defensive presense. In fact, if he DID play basketball his whole life, he probably won't have the shot blocking and ball thief ability to had nor the amazing footwork in the post.

There is only so much you can do playing just basketball. There is a limit to how good you can be with a jumpshot or 3 pt shot. There is also a limit to ball handling abilities and speed. IMO, if Hakeem played Basketball all his life, the best he could have is a reliable 3pt shot and better ball handling abilities.

I think Hakeem is actually lucky to have played multiple sports. It trains different factors that basketball lacks, and that was what made him so versatile.

6. declan32001

declan32001 Member

You are compeletely ignorant.

7. jboslett

jboslett Member

According to the OP, Hakeem is an inch taller than Lebron, thus making Lebron 6'11? Or is it that Hakeem is 6'8"?

8. bushbush1988

bushbush1988 Member

lebron is 6'8 6'9...

dream is said to be 6'10 6'11

9. Rockets1616

Rockets1616 Member

If you think that dream was faster than lebron you need your head checked. Idiot

10. Rockets1616

Rockets1616 Member

I'm pretty sure dream was closer to 7

11. Shaud

Shaud Member

How was that ignorant?

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think Dream would have been great as a PF or Center....

Either works well for him....

DD

13. joesr

joesr Member

lol fail

14. ibm

ibm Member

talking about athleticism in bball, ain't nobody better than wilt.

15. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Hakeem was 6'10 3/4, I believe.

LeBron is listed at 6'8, though he might be a little taller than that. I think 2.5 inch difference in height is fair.

16. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

In terms of sheer athleticism, I'd put LeBron and Jordan ahead of Chamberlain.

17. AkeemTheDreem86

I don't know about faster than LeBron, but the Dream was definitely fast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS25dibHOR0

Here he is out running Kevin Johnson (one of the quickest PGs in the L) on a fast break to stuff his ****.

Long Live the Dream.

18. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Athleticism, you're talking athleticism? Let's start with the mindset. Dream was a 5. He was not built - mentally - to play like Ralph Sampson, a frustrated would be 7'4" 2/3. He had the head of a center, banger - inside/outside hoops conviction.

Dream was 6'10", according to info I trust, and even if he started playing as a tad the question might be, "When did he get his growth spurt(s)?" Regardless, the man would not have pussyfooted with the runts - he was a GIANT! He was unbelievable.

And in today's NBA? He would be even more unbelievable.

19. smoove shoez

smoove shoez Member

fixed.

20. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

This made me LOL because it's just so confident and smug and full of sarcasm. Yet you are so wrong, any Rockets fan who knows anything about this team knows that Dream was only really 6'10'' at the most.