1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Do you regret the Cp3 trade now?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets1897, May 11, 2019.

?

Do you wish Morey never pulled the trigger on Cp3?

1. Yes

122 vote(s)
    49.8%
  2. No

123 vote(s)
    50.2%
  1. Giant9erRocket

Giant9erRocket Hakeem Olajuwon Status

The real question is WHY did we have to give up the ENTIRE FARM for CP3 who wanted to come here? I just don't understand why Morey gave in to such a lopsided deal. It's like he blew his entire load for no apparent reason. When LeBron chose Miami they only traded 2 firsts and a couple of 2nds for the BEST PLAYER IN THE LEAGUE at the time. All the leverage was with our team once CP3 decided Houston was his final destination AND he did not want to re-sign with the Clippers.

People still don't understand here it wasn't just PatBev (could have been traded for a 1st round pick), Trez (can be traded now for a 1st round pick), Lou (we gave up a 1st round pick to get him). We also included Sam Dekker (a former mid-round 2015 first pick) AND a 2018 first round pick which ended up being Omari Spellman a PF with potential.

In the end, this trade was for 5 first round picks for a maxed out CP3. Do I regret this trade? HELL YES I DO.

2. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Yea. I regret it a bit. New Orleans and the clips got the best of cp3 and we got hung with the bill. Would be like picking up the bar tab for your group and some putz gets the model and you get stuck with the zit filled skank who has been used so much getting with her would like throwing a hot dog down a hallway.

cjvnyc likes this.
  3. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Regarding Zion, remember physics and physiology.

There's been one successful similar outlier in NBA history.

I'd be careful.

Edit: I thought I was posting in the Zion thread, My bad.

#63 rimrocker, May 11, 2019
    Last edited: May 11, 2019
    Jontro likes this.
  4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Anybody who regrets it is a flat out fool. Some of y’all really forget how special last year’s team was.

Deuce, xaos and theoldblood like this.
  5. Jontro

Jontro Member

would it be possible that the anthony gets sacked and seepithree retires and becomes our head coach? we can still pay him his 120mil but as a coach, which frees us of his max contract.

possible? then maurly can get jimmer butler or hawaii.

6. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

do you regret having tmac and yao?

7. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

Nope. Take your shot and live with results. That’s life, and that’s sports.

xaos likes this.
  8. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

We all knew we gave up a lot to get CP3, and the thinking was we were going all-in for a championship. The specific window was one season, maybe two. That window is rapidly closing with this core group, if not closed. Morey will have to do some digging this offseason to figure out how to fenagle something out of this group, and with such limited assets I can only thing that he'll be evaluating all options, including moving Capela and Gordon, as much as it might hurt him to do so.

My issue to this day is simply how much we traded away for CP3. Lou, Bev, Montrezl, Dekker, and picks was insane. I cant think of a comparable trade for a superstar, especially when you look at what the sixers gave up for Butler and Harris, what the Thunder gave up for George, etc.

Jontro likes this.
  9. BigBum

BigBum Member

Paul supposed to get 80 million payroll, real worth.
    Sometimes you have to Help team out

10. fattz

fattz Member

It was bad then and worst now and debilitating in the future.

11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I assume that the 160M contract was a tacit deal in the trade. If so, we should not have made it. We were mortgaging the future for a window of two years. And his injury history was a huge risk which proved to be real last season.

12. Caprah

Caprah Member

Since Yao broke his foot the rockets went to the WCF once and the semis. They weren’t exactly cellar dwellers

13. Caprah

Caprah Member

It was always a 2 year deal and sadly it didn’t work out. The pain of that salary on future moves is only the beginning along with his decline. It is what it is

14. ThunderStruck

ThunderStruck Member

Trade was fine, likely promising a max after trade, maybe not so smart. Therefore, not attempting to negotiate a shorter max or a lower yearly contract is the issue Houston faces. A 2 year max and then negotiating a new more reasonable for his age contract would have been the way to go for Houston.

15. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

We took a shot knowing full well it was a risky gamble and it almost paid off. I'm not mad about the deal. What other team has been able to take Golden State to 7? Unfortunately we got unlucky last year and our poor off season led to a bad result this season.

It was still the right move at the time. Waiting out Golden State is not feasible when your best player is in his prime. Harden could very well have forced a trade and been on a different team by now if we didn't go all in.

16. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

17. CertifiedTroll

We did what we had to do. Without CP3 we never would have had a remote chance of dethroning the Warriors.

We still have an amazing team, and the Warriors super-star team will lose some major pieces this summer. I still do not think we are in a bad spot.

18. Caprah

Caprah Member

Even if they still lose Durant they will retain Thompson and still be favorites to win it again. They are 30-4 without KD. Curry and Thompson are way better without him.

19. BigBum

BigBum Member

Bucks are the best team in the future.

20. varughese.arun

Yeah, basically you agree