1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Do you make this deal?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by aelliott, Feb 15, 2000.

1. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

This is a completely hypothetical sign and trade scenario, but I'm interested to know if the majority of folks would do this deal or not? Forget whether or not the Spurs would do it. I only want opinions from the Houston side of things.

Rockets get Tim Duncan, complete with a new 4 year conract at the $9M max.

San Antonio gets Rocket's #1 this year, #1 from Orlando, #1 from Detroit, Cato and Mobley.

It's a steep price, but do you pay it in order to get Duncan?

2. PhiSlammaJamma

Are we shopping at Filene's Basement? Hell ya, you make that deal. Tim Duncan plus Steve Francis equals championship.

3. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Yeah I would but atleast it's the first hypothetical scenario for Duncan that wasn't Williams, Drew and a second rounder for Duncan.

I would do the deal -- I don't think San Antonio would but if they were given assurances they couldn't re-sign him ...

Still you use three very good pieces in Cato, Mobley and a lottery pick (most likely) this season. Detroit and Orlando's picks wont be in the lottery -- could be anywhere after though really -- most likely late picks.

But to get Duncan -- undoubtedly I think.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I would do the deal, you are giving up some possible stars for a SUPER star.

In this situation, the team getting the known player usually comes out on the better end of the deal.

DaDakota

5. davo

davo Contributing Member

I wouldn't even blink before making that deal. I know its only hypothetical but how would we trade Mobley? Sign him and trade him next year? Not sure if you can do that as part of a multiplayer deal.

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

mathematically: Mobley is not required in the trade. So, I assume you throw him in to sweeten the deal.

personally: I'd give up anyone for Garnett or Duncan. But, for the price you ask, I'd require a 7yr contract.

conversely: there are several ways to trade away Cato and others next year for renounceable players, then apply that to Dream's windfall and go after Webber. Do all that before Anderson and Francis need to be resigned.

lastly: the $4.5m exception and the Dream windfall do make us competitive at the bargaining table for two years (before Anderson/Francis have ripened). Don't settle for much less than a sure thing.

7. grummett

grummett Contributing Member

Yes, and let's do it before the next arena vote.

8. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

HOLY!!! I WAS JUST ABOUT TO...

Jenna...you know what I'm thinking! [​IMG]!!

Aelliot...are you Carrol Dawson?

[This message has been edited by thacabbage (edited February 15, 2000).]

9. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

Yes hypothetically I do it. But hypothetically why would SA trade a definate future, a potential MVP for years, and a guarantee for 3 middle of the road picks (maybe might make their squad) a center who doesn't like start and has no offense. And a second rounder who shoots comparably to Allen Iverson and hits only 39 percent of his shots. Too many if's for SA to ever do that deal.

But again, hypothetically, I do the deal.

10. aelliott

It seemed to me that there were a whole lot of people that didn't initially like the Barkley or Francis deals because they thought that we were giving up too much. I was just trying to see if Steve Francis' performance had changed people's opinion about trading several good players for 1 great player.

I was just trying to come up with an offer that was somewhat realistic, but didn't conveniently fill all holes in the Rockets roster.

Despite the fact that that deal would leave us with our current SF situation and a difficult time accquiring a new SF, I'm like you guys, I would make the deal. Of course, I also liked the Barkley and Francis deals from day 1.

11. thacabbage

Aelliot:

I was initially against the Barkley trade not because we'd be giving up many talented players for one superstar, but because we were setting a window of opportunity or a time frame for success. I thought there were better deals to be had out there at the time.

Duncan however is the best player in the NBA and has not yet even reached his prime. Steve Francis could very well be the best point guard in the NBA by next season. Anytime you have a chance to pair two SURE-FIRE FRANCHISE PLAYERS you do it. Hell, we could have Walt Williams at the small forward and still have the best record in the leage for the next 10 years.

Your idea is not as far-fetched as you may think, however. Initially it appeared to us on this BBS that the Rockets cap situation was hopeless this summer, but now things look different. It appears the Rockets will be using this time period (Feb.15 - Feb.24) to clear as much cap space as possible. Trade Walt and Cato for players in the last year of their contracts to clear a hefty amount of change for this summer. Maybe even Drew. Let's also remember that the lottery pick will count roughly $3 million against the cap after he is signed. Don't rule dealing the pick out of the situation as well. Let's also remember that we have a $4.5million trade exception at our disposal.

If we can unload Cato+Walt+others, we'll see what happens.

12. grummett

grummett Contributing Member

thacabbage-- Just out of curiosity, what makes you think that the Rockets will use the time before the trade deadline to clear as much cap space as possible?

13. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

This would be letting go birds in the hand for a potentially bigger bird in the bush.
    What would be the fallback plan if things don't fall into place pursuing the two choice free agents this summer?

Mango

14. thacabbage

grummet, mango:

I don't see what we have to lose. The Cato deal was a mistake from the beginning, you have to admit, and it wouldn't hurt to shed Walt. What are we really losing? If we miss out on either of the two big-names (Duncan/Jones) then we have freed ourselves of dead contracts, and will have the flexibility the next season.

15. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

thacabbage,

Sometimes in life, a decision has to be made and proceed from that point forward. In a worst case scenario, the Rockets would still be twiddling their thumbs waiting for a big man during Dream's farewell tour.

Mango

16. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Guys this a good thread, but SA won't do it. Why would SA give up it's franchise now for a potential good team in 3-4 years after all the draft picks work out, especially since David Robinson has a limited window of opportunity?

A similar thing would be would we trade Francis to SA for Elie & Avery and a couple (2-3) 1st round draft picks. No way we would ever do that. Why would we think SA would sacrifice today for an uncertain future?

17. thacabbage

4chuckie, of course they wouldn't do it if they had a choice, but what if they were backed into a corner? Either lose Duncan for nothing or atleast get some serviceable players. Then would you do it?

18. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Cabbage-
    If that happens one of two scenarios will happen:

1. SA will look for the best offer. However as often is the case with a player leaving they won't get a smuch as you may think. If Duncan says he is leaving, why do we mortgage our future? I would guess if Duncan says he wants to leave SA would be lucky to get A star player and one first round pick

2. Duncan will give a list of teams that he wants to play for, which may or may not include Houston.

If Duncan says he will not play in SA, I don't think you will see a good player (Mobley) and 3 1st round picks given up for him.

If it's just a trade, like I presumed, SA would not do it.

19. aelliott

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I was trying to gauge people's opinon on trading for a superstar and advised people to disregard whether or not SA would do the deal...oh, wait, I did say that...nevermind.

20. sir scarvajal

sir scarvajal Member

I think you have to substitute in Francis for Mobley to get serious consideration for that deal--and then I think you have a head scratcher.

Would you trade Stevie + Thomas + 2 picks for Duncan and Daneils?? We would have a starting five of Drew (or Daniels or another vet if he beats him out--see below), Mobley, Shandon, Duncan and Cato, with the vets of Daniels, Walt, Los, TMas or Pig backing up. I would think then we could add a veteran 1/2 like Starks or Porter in the offseason, and you have a better team next year than San Antio is this year and are immediately contending. This is a tougher call.

Oh man, I forgot Dream (how could I forget Hakeem in the Rockets plans--darn he must really be getting old) can be the major back-up 5 minutes sliding Cato or Duncan to the 4 when he is in, or we push Cato to a back-up role and start Dream at the 5 with Duncan. This team is definetely better than San Anton.

[This message has been edited by sir scarvajal (edited February 17, 2000).]