1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you like the Michael-Carter Williams signing?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 3, 2018.

?

Do you like the Michael-Carter Williams signing?

1. Yes

43.2%
  2. No

56.8%
  1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Those guys were a lot better than MCW. Luc could shoot respectably. He could drive to the basket and make layups, and play efficient defense. Ariza wasn't as talented as Parsons, but he played quality basketball for 4 years for the Rockets.

A lot of us were frustrated but understood the reasons for Ariza's shooting woes in the playoffs. Sheer fatigue set in. I dread to see MCW taking jumpers against GSW or any other playoff team for that matter. His defense isn't steller either despite his length and height. I wish him well, honestly I do. I don't think he can cut as a contributor for the Houston Rockets.

#141 saleem, Aug 9, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    Sanity2disChaos, kevtse and YOLO like this.
  2. YOLO

YOLO Member

yeah im not sure what LMM and Ariza have to do with MCW. you have two established, well respected wing players who play a ton of minutes compared to a mcw who hasn't had any sort of success anywhere and is barely hanging on in the league

seeingred and saleem like this.
  3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Of course not. MCW is several tiers below Harden and barely even belongs in the league. I don't think anyone is debating that. Still, even our MVP misses layups in traffic and with contact. I could make a 3-minute video of him missing bunnies in traffic.

Glad we agree that the video is not very surprising. I hope you agree that it is not 3 randomly selected minutes. There are several not-randomly-selected videos of our current MVP's defensive prowess. Like the MCW video, they are completely misleading and silly.

napalm06 likes this.
  4. topfive

topfive CF OG

MCW looks AWESOME in that video!

And those high school guys aren't going easy on him, either.

IvanLCPM, amaru and hakeem94 like this.
  5. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I am indifferent now to the signing. He has a lot of talent, he was ROY after all, but just hasn't really been able to put much together during his career. I think he has a chance to succeed in a some sort of capacity off the bench somewhere in the NBA I just don't know if its here. Depending on the role that MDA and staff have in mind for him (which really no one knows here). I will say that the places he has been really hasn't been strong structures or winning teams (philly, bucks, bulls, hornets) so maybe coming to a team that is actually playing to win it all instead of "lets see if we can make the playoffs" or not even that could make a huge difference.

To me this is a one of the "classic" low buy and risk and high reward signings by Morey.

Depending on how the rest of the roster shapes up I do think he probably wont see more than 10-15 minutes on the floor, if that, if everyone is healthy.

D-rock, Vivi, mike2k132 and 5 others like this.
  6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

100% agree here. Being in the right situation can make all of the difference. Maybe the right situation in Houston can optimize MCW's game. Total low risk move.

D-rock likes this.
  7. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

He’s not a total scrub. He has talent. I’m cautiously optimistic.

D-rock and bj3175 like this.
  8. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

they are going after him with giant baseball bats!?

I see you MCW, you are preparing yourselves for that draymond green defense in wcf!

9. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Looks like his shot has been tweaked and he improved his core strength to stay on balance.

D-rock and RudyTBag like this.
  10. seeingred

seeingred Member

I don't see what's not to like for what we're paying him. This is Tarik Black for the back court. If he only plays garbage time and keeps leads from dropping to single digits in the 4th quarter, he'll have earned his money. Carmelo Anthony is a "match up with the Warriors" signing. MCW is a "match up with the Grizzlies second unit for the last 5 mins of a game" signing.

D-rock and amaru like this.
  11. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

he must have taken 500 shots for them to be able to edit out this many makes. also the way he wards off the defender with his elbow on every single drive is just pathetic

J Sizzle and Swiss Roll like this.
  12. Sen89

Sen89 Member

Carter-Williams has objectively been one of the worst offensive players in the NBA for the past 2 seasons, but at his price, I don't hate it...especially if he's not in the rotation.

If he only plays when one of Harden/CP3 are out, that's okay I suppose. He's at least 6'5"-6'6" and a plus defender/athlete. I'd much rather Melton step up and get those minutes, but we'll see if he's ready for that in his rookie year.

But his shooting splits from the past year (if they weren't already posted):
    3-10 feet: 22%
    10-16 feet: 22%
    16-23 feet: 23%
    Three: 24%
    Corner Three: 23%

I mean, at least he's consistent. If he takes a shot that's not a layup at least we know there's a 1 in 5 chance it's going in

13. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Only if he's shooting 1,000 3s a day and working with John Lucas to improve his PG game and finishing around the rim. Lucas has turned Capela into a $20 mln year player. I'm hopeful he can turn him into a 15 minutes a game wing player

D-rock likes this.
  14. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

U know what i was low on this signing but i think we may be missing the part i think his only job is to handle the ball to give harden a break at some point. Cause after cp3 went down literally no one could dribble the ball other then harden. So i wwnna see what he gonna do

15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Let's hope for the best. He can handle the ball, but he doesn't make many assists, even with considerable minutes.

16. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Perhaps Dantoni envisions him in a Barbosa type role.

D-rock likes this.
  17. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Another Morey steal.

Excellent defender that can get you 15-6-6 when he is healthy and rolling. Just turned 27.

Once our analytics guys get a hold of him and cut out those mid-range twos, he is going to be a handful. Threes and Layups baby. (AND DEFENSE)

D-rock likes this.
  18. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

where's the laugh react

saleem likes this.
  19. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Can't be a pumped up fan anymore guys, BigRedHead and SaleemNippleCream are on patrol! :D

BigggReddd likes this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

MCW does not belong in any tiers, he is in a sub tier of his own.

At least he won ROY. Must be the only award in a long, long time.