1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you have wtf/Bizarro moments of Internet/Siri/Alexa "reading" your mind

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by heypartner, Sep 5, 2018.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Do you have any bizarro moments, like "How the hell did Internet/Siri/Alexa know I was interested in that?" We all know how targeted ads work, so not asking for that. I'd just like to hear the funny coincidences and stories.

--------------------------------------------------
    Here's one that just happened to me,

I think a twitter bot instantly launched a status post based upon a search I just did. Bot's got a strong Fake News game.

I was searching for info on the contract Looney signed with the Warriors in July. Nothing of interest to others, and rather boring. I first did the search in google then switched to a search within Twitter.
    • First did: "from:wojespn looney signs"
    • (scrolled for a little and gave up)
    • then did: "looney signs"
    This came up with a posting date of 8 minutes ago, around the time I did the from:wojespn search.

That's a Fake Woj bot. haha. Who cares enough about Looney to post such a thing. Good one kid, or whoever is trolling around using recent searches. Maybe even an auto-bot. Or it was just wild coincidence that this self-proclaimed fake woj news guy chose to release a Looney post the very same time I did a search.

2. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

no, not really.

3. Buck Turgidson

4. CCorn

CCorn Member

Google does it all the time. I’ll be thinking of weird **** and when I start typing that result comes up on suggested searches after the first word or so.

Could also mean I drunk google a ton.

donkeypunch likes this.
  5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

6. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

This is the reply I think I relate to the most. Itll be a couple of friends talking about random sheiza and when we start to google something for a query to the discussion, google already has the question suggested fully when we type three letters.

7. Jontro

Jontro Member

if siri can read my mind...

[​IMG]

RocketWalta and marky :) like this.
  8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I see you're into trannies now...

9. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Android and Facebook are always listening to the conversations. Our phones are nothing more than a collection device. Quite scary when you think about it in the grand scheme of things.

10. marky :)

marky :) Member

This happens to me as well. Unless I missed it but it seems like Google is using google hangouts in their marketing algorithm.

Wife and I chatting about buying something we have never bought or google searched. I type first 3 letters and it comes up. It was a "candle warmer plate"... Typed "can" and it auto suggested candle warmer. :confused:

heypartner likes this.
  11. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

last month i had a crew over here replacing my attic insulation and ducts. i have a dog and was talking about how i needed to block her off from the area they were working in...and then i started getting ads for office partitions.

i always look at what kind of ads pop up at the bottom of the page in different threads. some of them are pretty funny in the context of the thread. most are spot-on targeted, but some are just really off-base...or they cue in on a side-argument and start placing ads based off that.

heypartner likes this.
  12. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

It may be time to switch back to the ol flip phone.

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Better Call Saul

14. theimpossibles1

Often times I unlock my phone and the camera is on. It's creepy.

15. likestohypeguy

Talking to someone over the phone then in person about their different addresses, where their family lives & has lived, we kept referring to their house in katy, "katy house", without ever having searched their address, nothing about katy house or katy went into any search engine, or ever even typed into a computer.

Made a 45 minute run out, when I returned, saw a new targeted ad for a community, advertising new homes in Katy. Either massive coincidence,because I'd never seen that ad or really even new house ads before that I can remember (much less certainly not specifically for katy!), or else google fi was listening to the conversation over the phone.

I'm not even super concerned about it, just more amazed by the technology if not a coincidence. All this stuff, we pay so much more attention to the rare coincidences than all the non coincidences that happen all the time, they stick out more.

Torn n Frayed and heypartner like this.
  16. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

I have a Harman Kardon Invoke speaker which is powered by Microsoft's Cortana. It is a fantastic device that I use 5-10 times a day to set reminders, alarms, check scores, play music, ask questions, etc. The only odd thing it does every now and then is pick up something from the TV thinking I'm talking to it. Far from spooky stories.

Chamillionaire likes this.
  17. DOYG86

DOYG86 Member

NICE!

Svpernaut likes this.
  18. MystikArkitect

Went to Miami this past week. I needed to reserve a space for the truck. I didn’t say it out loud, nor did I search for it anywhere. I merely *thought* of the Parking Spot.

Lo and behold there were the ads for the Parking Spot on my Smart TV. I was dumbfounded. I’m sure it was a coincidence. Maybe it picked up my searches for Miami and figured “hey this guy is probably going out of town and might need a place to park”.

19. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

My Microsoft fanboyism aside, it is a great speaker. I also got it for just $99 which didn't hurt either.

A smart speaker is awesome for me personally for no other reason than setting reminders. As I remind myself of things I need to remember I just say, "Hey Cortana, remind me at 5:05PM that the Astros game is starting early today" from wherever I am in the house. Then it syncs to my Outlook, which syncs to PC, tablet and phone. I do that sort of thing at least 5-10 times a day which makes my time management much, much easier.

20. PhiSlammaJamma

I was a little confused when I woke up out of dead sleep to find that Alexa was staring at me, and had apparently invited chat bot Monica to the party. What happened next stays in Vegas.