1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you agree?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by temujinphl, Jul 12, 2000.

1. temujinphl

temujinphl Member

This article was from cnn.com

Beatles tune named greatest song ever

LONDON - Quick, name the greatest song of all time.

When Mojo music magazine asked that question, a phalanx of songwriters, including a Beatle (Paul McCartney), a Beach Boy (Brian Wilson) and half the team behind "Hound Dog" and countless other hits (Jerry Leiber) came up with.

"In My Life." Written by John Lennon, the autobiographical song is contained in the Beatles' 1965 album, "Rubber Soul."

The 1960s are heavily represented in the listing. Songs from that decade which made the cut include "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction," "Here, There and Everywhere," "Tracks of my Tears," "The Times They Are A-Changing" and "People Get Ready."

Two songs pre-date that era -- "Over The Rainbow," released in 1939, and "Strange Fruit," which debuted in 1944.

Other greats include "I Can't Make You Love Me" and "You've Lost That Loving Feelin'." BMI, the performance-rights organization, recently noted that the latter song is the most-performed song of the century.

The full list, with the artists who made then famous:
    1. "In My Life" -- The Beatles (released 1965)
    2. "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" -- Rolling Stones (1966)
    3. "Over The Rainbow" -- Judy Garland (1939)
    4. "Here, There And Everywhere" -- The Beatles (1966)
    5. "Tracks Of My Tears" -- Smokey Robinson and the Miracles (1965)
    6. "The Times They Are A-Changin"' -- Bob Dylan (1964)
    7. "Strange Fruit" -- Billie Holiday (1944)
    8. "I Can't Make You Love Me" -- Bonnie Raitt (1991)
    9. "People Get Ready" -- The Impressions (1965)
    10. "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin"' -- The Righteous Brothers (1970)

Personally, I thought "Yesterday" should have won. That song has been remade more than any other commercial song ever.

------------------
    "One who conquers others is strong; One who conquers himself is mighty" - Lao Tzu