1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you agree with this?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by countingcrow, Apr 18, 2002.

1. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

http://www.cantonrep.com/cantonrep01/menus.php?Category=17&ID=41104&r=3

Tribe notebook: Watson’s ruling: Cut fraternization
    By ANDY CALL Repository sports writer

CHICAGO — It is a scene repeated everywhere, and every day, in the big leagues.

Cleveland Indians and Chicago White Sox players mingle behind the batting cages at Comiskey Park as Chicago’s batting practice draws to a close. Indians Manager Charlie Manuel wraps his arm around the neck of White Sox center fielder Kenny Lofton and uses the headlock to lift Lofton off the turf.

Other players and coaches also converse — and rather amicably when one considers the teams are likely to spend the summer battling for the American League Central Division title.

During the game, Chicago and Cleveland players loiter around second base, making conversation while one of the teams changes pitchers.

It all seems innocent enough, but not everyone in Major League Baseball approves. Bob Watson, Major League Baseball’s vice president for on-field operations, sent out a memo Wednesday reminding teams that MLB rules prohibit “fraternization” before and during games.

“It’s been going on forever,” veteran Cleveland third baseman Travis Fryman said. “If they’re going to enforce that rule, I’d like to see them be more specific.”

Watson said in the memo that someone had brought to his attention the volume of chatter that occurs between opposing players, both before and during games.

“I would like to remind you that, while in uniform, whether it be during pre-game workouts or a game, no player or coach may fraternize with any member of an opposing club,” Watson wrote.

Fryman’s reputation is one of an intense competitor, but even he takes time to greet familiar opponents on occasion.

“I prefer to do it before BP (batting practice) starts,” Fryman said. “I think maybe it would not be appropriate for me to hang out around the batting cage for the entire BP, but you can always say hello to someone you know.

“We’re not soldiers. We’re baseball players. It’s not a war. It’s a baseball game.”

2. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

How gay.

Baseball has a lot more bigger things to worry about, than this.

3. haven

haven Member

ummm... that's silly, not very "gay" though

4. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I find that to be very acceptable. IMHO, the most entertaining baseball players have always been the 'Kirk Gibson/Bob Gibson/Robbin Roberts' types. As far as I'm concerned, guys who are friendly with the oposition seem to make the compteition less competative.

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Reminds me of Larry Bird saying the NBA died when Magic and Isiah kissed before the tipoff of an NBA Finals game....

I prefer Larry's approach, quite frankly. "I have a job to do. That job is to beat you. On another day, we can be pals...but today I'm gonna kick your..."

6. PhiSlammaJamma

memo #2: Let's take all the fun out of the game.

Even Lawyers say hello. Jeepers.

7. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

I know this is off topic, but what's up with the asian letters in your post? I noticed them in Oeilpere's as well.

8. Band Geek Mobster

My twin brothers been shot! I think it was an asian gang or something, there was this guy, he looked asian! He was speaking in another language, I'm pretty sure it was.....asian!