1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you agree that we finally have a lot of good players on the team since T-Mac/Yao era?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by houston#1, Feb 23, 2013.

?

Do you agree?

1. Yes

80.9%
  2. No

6.6%
  3. Not sure yet

18.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

I feel like we will be contending for a championship soon with this roster. We have a lot of tall players who will rebound a lot. I really believe we have a shot.

2. hubeijames

hubeijames Member

We have nobody good at the 4 right now, we need another elite player, and our bench needs improvement.

Hopefully one of our PF prospects will blossom to fix problem #1. Signing a second superstar out of Free Agency, meaning we don't have to trade Lin/Parsons/Asik and whichever one of them is bumped out of the starting lineup can become our 6th man will fix problems #2 and #3.

3. jocar

jocar Member

Almost there! A couple more moves and a little more growth

4. nono

nono Member

Once we have our second superstar behind Harden, we will be unstoppable. It's amazing this team is the youngest in the league and is still likely to finish around 6th in the conference. The best thing is that all our players are young and will keep improving.

5. archinkent

archinkent Member

Yes we do, but that at that level yet. That team of Yao, Tmac, MWP, Scola and Lowry plus a pretty good bench, trounces this team anyday.

6. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

All Morey needed was a superstar to build around. Some of you guys forget what Morey built around an injured Yao and T-Mac; at one point the Rockets had Pre-Metta and Battier on the same roster. Rockets' "good' players took the Lakers to the brink back in '09. If only T-Mac would have cooperated... I never doubted that Morey could get "good" players it was the SUPERSTAR that was the doubt. Well, now there is no doubt.

7. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Yeah, maybe better than the 08-09 roster. But we're just a few players away from being a deep team in the playoffs. The best part is this team is YOUNG.

8. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

I think we have one great player and a bunch of average players. We have no chance of ever winning a championship with this roster. That's why Morey is doing everything he can to get max cap space.

9. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

We've always had a bunch of good players, that's why the wheels have never completely come off since Yao went down.

The difference is that we have a superstar again.

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The TMac-Yao era did not have a lot of good players. That's why we didn't win in the playoffs. If we had Morey when TMac and Yao were still healthy, it might have been very different.

11. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Easy is right on that one, that era was just two great players surrounded by garbage.

Does our total talent match that era NOW? No. Those were 55 win teams at their peak. But our current team is young, and will get there, AND has the flexibility to keep adding.

12. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

Man, that 08-09 team was somethin special.
    Healthy Yao Ming
    Tracy McGrady(until he quit on the team)
    Ron Artest
    Shane Battier
    Aaron Brooks
    --
    Kyle Lowry
    Von Wafer
    Brent Barry
    Carl Landry
    Dikembe Mutombo
    Chuck Hayes

That was a hell of a team.

13. D12Eminem

D12Eminem Member

Yes we have a top 5 player on our team in James Harden, and he is 23 years old. :)

So I voted yes simply on just that fact.

I think the team will continue to mold and grow better together. Thus, leaving us with a lot of "good players" around an ALL-STAR top TIER player of the L.

I think too you bring up a good point in "good players" because that's important you can't just have the SUPERSTARS. You need them, but you also need a Parsons type guy, or a guy that is stepping right up to the plate in Delfino. Lin has done pretty good. He has his nights, and he has his bad nights, but the key is we are YOUNG! Just got younger, and man we are going to have a FUN time watching these guys that's for sure!!

PB seems to be just as capable of stepping in the shoes' of TD. Beverly seems to be a very active guy, and hopefully that shot will continue to shoot. BimaThug does point that out in the podcast which I think is a good point because we will miss Tony. Tony's defense, but it'll be interesting if Beverly can get that shot going because he has I think a better awareness when dribbling to the hoop, or running a play for himself (rare, but the GSW game is an example, and then he told the bench about it) I love that attitude. So there is a great wild card there.

I love this team right now, and think that it goes James Harden (Superstar), Parsons(the all around hustle type of player, a younger "better fit" of a "Battier" meaning his stats are even better than what they show.) Asik The DOUBLE DOUBLE MAN comes in as another MIP candidate (along with Harden who should be a lock for MIP, and should be in consideration for MVP at this point), and finally Lin a good player, but he still has his nights where it's just not there, and now we have the new young rookie in TROB. Enjoy the team guys!! PLEASE COMCAST get these guys on TV to show everyone!!!

14. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Don't forget Scola! That was indeed a good team; hungry, too. Ultimately, the injuries to Yao and Mutombo and whatever happened to TMac doomed them. But there's no doubt Morey can assemble a team.

15. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

I can't believe I forgot the Argentine Tango-master :( I knew I was missing someone

16. kmart9419

kmart9419 Contributing Member

Wow, in hindsight, that looks like a championship team and almost was. Damn the injury bug.

17. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

It really was a championship caliber team. It's sad the way that turned out.

I think we have a good team, but like has been argued before, we need someone else other than harden who can be consistent and be a scorer every game. With TMac and Yao, if one had an off night, the other stepped it up and you were confident that they would deliver. We dont have that right now. Some nights its delfino, some nights its lin, some nights its parsons. It just depends on if the players are feeling hot. Until we get at least one more superstar on our team, i think thats going to hold us back in the playoffs. because thats where consistency counts the most. I feel like we have the talent to get far in the playoffs, i just dont know if our players other than harden can be consistent enough to put up good numbers for 5,6 or 7 games.

18. AbrahamLincoln

I think we have one great player and a bunch of above average 1-2 year starters that are going to develop into very good players. With the exception of Delfino, there is not a single other player on this team that has plateaued in terms of development. Parsons in particular is getting much better, and Lin had been outstanding recently until the Nets game. Asik has been a double double machine this season. If D-mo can start grabbing some boards he will get even more minutes and I would love to see that.

19. QuaDouble

QuaDouble Member

The tricky bit here is where you draw the lines between "average" "above average" and "good." To me, a starter you're glad to have is an above average or good player. A starter you have to live with and or a rotation player is average. A great player better be an all star, all NBA, or someone you can legitimately say was snubbed if they don't make those things.

Great
    James Harden

Good
    Chandler Parsons
    Jeremy Linn
    Omar Asik

Everyone else is average at best. Either someone needs to break out to another level while we build depth, or another player must be found (while we still continue to build depth.)

But it's still a great position to be in... a young, flexible roster that already has several pieces, a superstar, and plays well together.

20. art

art Member

that 08-09 team was a legit title contender if yao stayed healthy and that's not even including tmac.

this current roster can get to that level if rockets can land another star. they are ahead of schedule