1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do we sign Jack Cooley?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Old Man Rock, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

He is an undersized center with not much of a shot but he can rebound boy he can rebound. He was one of the best incollege and already he is averaging 9 pts and 7 boards in 15 minutes in the 2 first s/l games. Thats 18 and 14 per 30. Yeah it's s/l but he is out performing Greg Smith and TJones on the board plus he is a very efficient scorer around the rim and plays very smart D. He is a less talented but better Cole Aldrich.

It's like what he does do he does very well. And the thing is he did those exact thing in college. Yeah there is not way to know for sure if he can transfer them to the top level but so far he keeps transfering them at every level. He is playing exactly the way he did in college. Maybe he is closer to Chuck Hayes with a better free throw shot.

We don't have to release anyone to sign him but if Canaan won't accept 570k to sign then either we sign him to a 1 year deal or release Greg smith and give him Smith's salary of 888k. Then we can sign Cooley as Smith's replacement. That's just one scenario if we have to dump Smith but even if not I like Cooley and would Assign him to the DLeague. Those are my thoughts. What do you think?

2. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

3. Old Man Rock

Brilliant! I love your thoughtful response. I see you added the extra periods so that it would stick.

4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I like Cooley, but letting go of Greg Smith who is still probably younger than Cooley? Smith already has two years of NBA experience and still has a lot of room to go. Maybe the Vipers can keep him until someone else gets him of course.

5. hizzobbes

hizzobbes Member

The "extra periods" is called an ellipses.

Anyways, I agree that he has got some hustle and gets after the ball but I just don't really see him out performing the guys on our roster based off these two summer league games. If we had a lot of extra spots then I wouldn't mind him getting one and putting in work with the Vipers but as the team is now, we need to fill any available spots with guys who can shoot.

I also don't think Canaan will walk away... I've been reading things all day trying to figure out our cap situation and how all the pieces will fall into place but we just don't know everything that's going on behind the scenes and I think Morey will make sure they have the cash to take care of Canaan or convince him that the minimum is his best option.

6. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I added extra periods because there is a minimum character count.

7. hooroo

hooroo Member

Is he a PF or C? When he was on the floor with Ohlbrect. The German kid was the one guarding Gobert. Whatever position I think he gives another option off the bench. The Rockets don't have a heavy set big with good awareness on defense right now.

8. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

That's what he meant.

9. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

We have the best rebounder in the NBA and a top 10 rebounder playing behind him. I don't see the need.

We need another wing defender in the worst way. It's by far the biggest glaring need.

10. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Actually I think the only reason he added the periods was because "no" doesnt have enough characters for it to post.

13 points, 10 rebounds, and 1.2 blocks in 30 minutes is not bad for a 6 foot 9 inches power foward (draft express has him as a center?). He's undersized though.i think I would pass on him though

11. hizzobbes

hizzobbes Member

If we go in with Howard/Asik/TJones/DMO/Smith then I think we're set in the front court. There's not going to be room for someone else to break that rotation.

12. SuperS32

SuperS32 Member

Probably not. It'll come down to whether the Rockets think he's worth giving a cheap contract with some guarantees to protect him from being signed by other teams. But--at least at this early stage--he doesn't seem like a significant upgrade from Greg Smith. He'll get a chance to prove himself in the D-League either way and earn a contract somewhere

13. Old Man Rock

Yes I know. That's what I said so it would stick, stay, be accepted. That was my point you contributed the shortest possible response possible. And even in explaining your extra periods you went into more detail. The other poster didn't get that.

By the way my point isn't to dump Smith for Cooley. The problem is if Canaan does not accept 570k than Morey has to make a decision rather to release Greg Smith or sign Canaan to a minimum deal. Of course all of this may be moot because if Morey can get Garcia to sign for the minimum perhaps he will persuade Canaan to take 570k.

Again if Canaan doesn't than Morey has to decide who is more valuable to this team. Third string center or third string pg. I personally think Canaan can be a star. He shoots like Curry. I see Smith as as just a journeyman backup. Now as for Cooley I like him for the minimum because he is already showing he has a real NBA skillset and is worth the minimum to lock him up. If Smith gets dumped than all the more reason to lock him up. It's still too early to lock him up.

14. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Stick when used for writing means "stick with someone" after they read it, typically. Don't get so upset that someone doesn't agree with you. No one is entitled to an explanation all of the time. Perhaps you shouldn't make random trade threads if you don't like when people disagree with you.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think Greg Smith is sticking unless a third star or a substantial borderline allstar is added to the roster and his contract is getting moved.

At least get a guy who is substantially better than Dmo, Smith, Anderson, Covington or Casspi.

1 person likes this.
  16. zigzag

zigzag Member

We will see him in RGV

17. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He's listed at 6'9" but it is a short 6'9". He has very low shoulders. He absolutely can't defend at C. He's also a surprisingly bad defender, so he can defend 4's, he just won't do it well.

He also is very mechanical and deliberste in the way he moves.

He would be overmatched on an NBA court.

18. Ultimateian

Ultimateian Member

I like the guys hustle, but I need to see more of his shot selection. But based on what I've seen he could be one of those high motor guys.

19. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Wait, i thought contracts were set for both the first round and the second round. Second rounders can negotiate for more money?

*Flashbacks of carl landry and other second round player disputes.

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

He's probably gonna go the Greg Smith route: The Rockets will get him into training camp , will probably cut him and try to get him to play for the Vipers for a while, and then sign him to an actual NBA contract if and only if another team expresses interest.

I don't think they are gonna care too much about getting him a 3+ year contract. Minimal wage for 2 years with partial guarantee will likely do for him. Yeah, you do take the risk that he blows up and we'd have the Asik/Lin bidding situation in 2 years, but the chances of these things are small enough that, while you rather avert it, you don't really want to make a deal just so you can give Cooley a 3-year deal.