1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do we really need Chris Paul? I dont think so...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Merla08, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Merla08

Merla08 Member

I don't think we need Chris Paul or another PG. In fact, I think our PG position is the most solid part of our team. Brooks just won Most Improved Player, last year was his first full season as the team's starter, averages close to 20 pts per game, the guy shot 40% from beyond the 3, gets to the line all of the time, he gives other teams fits (especially the Lakers and Blazers who are our main competitors for the West) and he's still very young. Also, lets not forget the guy backing up Brooks - Kyle Lowry. Lowry is the best back up PG in the NBA (some may argue Collison in NO is), gives us instant energy off the bench which is why he got the pay raise he did.

When I look at our team and our team's needs, PG is not a concern of mine. If anything, I think an upgrade at the SG/SF position would be key. We need a tall wing guy that can create his own shot, get to the line, shoot 3's when needed, but most importantly, a guy that will slash to the basket, draw double teams and give open looks to Brooks and Martin from beyond the arc. (Damn, that sounds a lot like Tracy McGrady of 2005 :( )

Yea, Chris Paul would be nice, but at what cost? Giving up Brooks, 2 1st round draft picks (by the way, these future picks from the Knicks could end up becoming stars one day and their salary for the next 3-4 years will be very cheap and affordable especially when Brooks or our other players are due a raise), giving up Battier who is our vocal leader and a guy YOU NEED to win a championship and play lock down defense against Kobe, Roy, Wade, Carmelo, Lebron, etc. Plus we'd have to include some other players (key role players) and probably take back crappy contracts from them.

Not only that, I dont think Chris Paul is a guy that can lead a team to a championship. He's not the type of guy you can say "ok, lets give you the ball the last 6 min of the game so you can take over" the way Kobe, Wade, Roy, Carmelo can. He's a great play maker, but we dont have any guys for him to make plays with. He's already been injured a couple of times in his young career and he's going to be a Max player type of guy in the future and I dont even think he's worth that type of money.

I say let Brooks continue to grow and have a full season with a healthy Yao Ming under his belt and spend the money and our assets on someone else. Go after Granger or Iguodala. If Carmelo is available, yes go all in for someone like him. I'd much rather have a player like them than Paul and at the same time we'd probably be able to give up a lot less to get them.

I don't know... what do you guys think?

1 person likes this.
  2. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

We dont need CP3, but at some point we need a player of his caliber in our rotation.

We have two good points guards, and I would personally rather upgrade at SF or PF, but if you can go for Paul and still have a chance to win now (by not gutting the team), you do it.

3. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

we need a superstar. chris paul is a superstar. so yes, we really need chris paul.

4. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

i want deron williams :D

5. Merla08

Merla08 Member

Yes, we need a Super Star, but not at PG. I'd rather have one at SF. Brooks and Martin are good enough to be an All-Star, Ariza is not.

6. Merla08

Merla08 Member

Regardless, ESPN is reporting that Paul "is happy" now in New Orleans. On to the next one...

7. Nolocke

Nolocke Member

Nope. Can't stand Chris Paul. Not to mention Brooks doesn't get injured like Paul.

8. EffTheJazz!!!

EffTheJazz!!! Member

This.

9. worzel gummidge

via hoopsstats.com

.: Deff: Efficiency Recap Difference = Efficiency Recap - Opponent's Efficiency Recap

.: Eff: NBA Efficiency recap = ((Points + Rebounds + Assists + Steals + Blocks) - ((Field goals attempts - Field goals made) + (Free throws attempts - Free throws made) + Turnovers))

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

you get a chance at a superstar, you take them, regardless of position. you deal with the consequences later on.

word to portland passing on MJ b/c it felt it didn't need a SG

11. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

Not Paul, but we can still aquire a top 5 Point Guard before the deadline or even sooner.

I posted this in the trade thread but would Phoenix do this deal this off-season?

Brooks + Battier + Hill + maybe Budinger (arm twisting involved) for Nash + Grant Hill?

Sweetners: Either future first round draft picks or rights to Llull and 3 million dollars max cash.

Nash/Lowry
    Martin/Taylor
    Hill/Ariza
    Scola/Hayes/Patterson
    Yao/Miller/Jeffries

Why Houston does this: We get a perennial all-star and top 5 Point Guard in Nash who gets to the line and shoots at a remarkable efficiency both from the field and free throw line. I think we also will finally have that 2nd all-star paired with Yao. We also get an expiring contract in Hill, who also is a good team defender and great three point threat next to Yao. He shot a remarkable 43% from the three point line last season.

Dragic/Brooks
    Richardson/ Budinger
    Childress/Battier/Dudley
    Turkoglu/Warrick
    Lopez/Fry/Hill

Why Phoenix does it: It seems as though Dragic has come into his own and I think their management with the new GM have welcomed the idea of handing over the keys to him. They get MIP, Brooks, who is a perfect compliment to Gentry's system. They also get younger and a chance to rebuild and still make the playoffs. They also get Budinger, who they were rumored to go hard after in the draft, who also happens to be a former Arizona Alum. They get an expiring contract in Battier who they can trade at the deadline to a contender for draft picks. Also Hill would be a part of their future frontline paired with Lopez in the future. We can also give them 3 million dollars cash considerations from Landry's trade exception, which a cheap owner like Sarver would salivate over, couple that with a potential lottery pick in 2011.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Are you seriously trying to show numbers based upon last year, without our starting center?

DD

13. abc2007

abc2007 Member

We need CP3, but CP3 doesn't need us.

14. Htown-Stew

Htown-Stew Member

These worthless Chris Paul threads are clogging up this board.

15. maarrrtiin

maarrrtiin Member

on the first list chicago is under us at 17. on the 2nd list golden state is under us at 24. i think both of those teams are pretty happy with their point guards. and i also believe our pg situation is our most solid slot, but it would be nice to have CP3 cause he's a top 5 player at his position.

16. Merla08

Merla08 Member

Ok, so based on this graphic, the Lakers who are ranked #30 IN THE ENTIRE NBA need help? I dont think so buddy... New Orleans was ranked #3 and didn't come near the playoffs... Nice try

17. Merla08

Merla08 Member

Nash is over 36 years old, why in the world would we want him and a 37 yr old Grand Hill?

18. WNBA

WNBA Member

not sure how the stats are calculated. I cannot believe our PGs only have 4.4 rebounds and 7.8 assists. something not right.

19. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

Look at his stats. He is like fine wine, he just seems to get better with age. How long are we gonna say that Nash is getting old. He was old in 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, when is ever gonna stop? He simply is immortal. Also Grant Hill had a solid year last season and shoots at a high rate. His age should be a non factor because he just started playing at a consisent level a couple of years ago.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

^^^Old players who leave Phoenix fall off the map. (See: Shaq ;) )

As for Paul, sure he would be nice. However, as others have pointed out throughout the Bosh pursuit and now Paul, I don't want a player who doesn't want to come here.