1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do we overrate Daryl Morey?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by G-Money, Nov 10, 2010.

?

Do we overrate Morey?

1. Yes

62.8%
  2. No

37.2%
  1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Ummm..we didn't trade McGrady for Martin. We traded Landry.

All over it...yeah, I didn't start the thread...and I started off by saying he's a good GM. Your obsession with my opinion about Daryl Morey is kinda creepy. Are you guys related?

2. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

This is incorrect. It was all one big, related transaction. Again the question, since you criticize it so much, what would YOU have done in the same situation? Just let McGrady expire without getting anything back at all?

Not anymore creepy than your apparent hate for our GM and franchise player ("tenderfoot"/"move the team to Beijing", etc.). So disagreeing with your constant Morey bashing now makes me his relative and is "creepy"? :confused:

3. MadMax

Why was trading Landry and bringing in Martin a necessary component of trading McGrady for anything?

I don't hate either one of those guys, as much as you wish it. I sincerely do not understand why you hunt me down in these threads...particularly one where I opened up with "he's a good GM."

It's not enough for me to just say he's good, right? I have to say "In Morey We Trust"...or chant his name 3 times at midnight....or put his picture up over my bed.

As for tenderfoot...I think the man is a prince. I've said that thing 10000000 times here....I think it's long past time to move on from him, though.

4. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Give me five guys who Morey passed up in the draft that we regret.

5. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

How do you think the salaries worked out? It was a complicated trade. And as much as I love Landry (and I really think we are missing right now what he brought), Martin is better (and I would think more valuable down the line in terms of improving the team in the longer term, either by his play, if his weaknesses get covered up better by other players, or as an "asset").

How am I "hunting you down" - I am disagreeing with you. So you can re-post your anti-Morey rants as often as you want, but when I disagree with you just as many times, that means I "hunt you down"? :confused: It is a message board, you are entitled to your opinion, but you have to prepared for people to disagree with it every time you re-post it. And I am probably focusing on your posts, because your opinion carries weight, why would I focus on the posts of some random poster with registration date '10 and IQ below that who keeps posting "morrey sux0r" :).

You are probably right about that...I still have a bit of hope. It would just be a shame for him to go out like that. That, and, if he manages to get back to playing consistent minutes, he is still one of the best in the NBA at his position, so I think there is still a chance that he will be very valuable for the Rockets. Right now, it isn't working, though.

#105 AroundTheWorld, Nov 11, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  6. MadMax

1. You can trade McGrady and still keep Lowry. Those moves aren't joined at the hip.

2. I'm fine with disagreeing. Great. I'm pretty familiar with disagreement here, as you are probably aware. But the whole, "you hate these guys!! i knew you'd be all over this thread" stuff is just weird.

7. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

We did keep Lowry. But Martin is more valuable than Landry. Most people applauded that part of the trade at the time, as much as everyone here regretted losing Landry. Clutch did as well.

http://www.clutchfans.net/news/1551/breaking_down_the_rockets_blockbuster/

With some of the notable posters here, things are predictable. You already know that leebigez will show up in a Battier bashing thread, as I could have bet $ 100 on you showing up in a Morey bashing thread. It's just a matter of observing BBS personalities/"celebrities" ;). You are one, so I noticed. Nothing too weird about that, really.

8. MadMax

again...highly efficient player...that's dynamite. not a good match for this club considering what it would do to backcourt defense. on another team...with a PG who could play defense...you can get away with that. but you can't with AB.

i'm not sure what i've said about Morey qualifies as Morey bashing. again, i think this speaks more to the freakish Morey cult-like love here than it does to what I've said. disagree with the man in any way, and it's perceived as bashing here.

9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

It definitely seems like you are right about this so far. I hope the coaching staff can find a solution and if not, that we will be able to fix things through a trade. Time is running out quickly if we want to make the playoffs. We already have to go like 48-27, which is not easy.

10. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

His recent moves that I didn't agree with are the Lee-Ariza trade and the draft for PP when our crying need was for a big center to be Yao's understudy.

Now that we aren't even playing PP, I don't see how having a young center who needs to develop is so bad.

By taking away our athletic defensive SF and failing to give us a young center, DM handicapped the Rockets this season. Part of the blame for this slow start has to fall on him.

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

MadMax,

Are you anti-GM. Did you like CD? Can you name one GM you liked?

I ask, because some ppl know they can't really blame the players without first blaming the team's best player, and unless someone wants to reopen a wound with TheFreak and I about Rudy, can we really say it's on coach since Les has become a coach flipper.

Honestly, you seem lost in fandom. You want to blame someone. I just don't feel that. This is not to say I am better fan or not. I'm just trying to communicate. I don't feel the need to blame when I see a loss. I just simply hate it.

The best I can say, is I don't want the coaches, GM or players to immediately feel the need to blame after a loss. That is hugely destructive. So, if I don't want the team to feel the need to blame, I'm not going to feel it either.

does that make sense.

12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I think Morey is measured mainly by two factors - success of the team on the court and financially.

As a fan, I only care about the financial aspect because it indirectly determines how well the team can do on the court.

CD seemed like a really nice guy, but some of the contracts he gave out were just horrible (Mo Taylor, Moochie, Matt Maloney, etc.). Up until this season, I thought Morey would not make similar mistakes but I am a bit worried about the Lowry contract (Scola not so much, because he is delivering and I think he will continue to do so).

On-court success: Up until this season, I think you could have argued that given the injuries, the team did as well as you could expect, or better. This season is a major disappointment so far, so no surprise that the first anti-Morey threads are coming up. Let's hope they will turn it around soon.

13. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

If Les can get Yao to play 20 more years at get 25 million from him each year, I'm sure he'll move the team to Antarctica if he had to.

Hey, who cares about how r****ded your sales manager is...if he can get you 25 million a year, you erect a statue of him in front of your company. Doesn't matter that that sales manager stinks like a bush and wears pyjamas to work everyday.

Les didn't own the franchise to win championships, he owns it to make money. (most of the time anyways)

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

your "etc" includes Cato and Shandon.

Your comment about CD being "a nice guy" really translates to how he never lied to his incoming players like Shandon who he promised a starting role to. Morey did the same thing with Ariza.

Despite our bad contracts of the past...this organization doesn't seem to lie to players.

And you have to admit...the way CD flipped #33's ass for Cato and Walt was sheer genius. Barkley loved it! Barkley deserved it! I deserved it, too. This whole city did.

15. MadMax

My criticisms of DM...while still maintaining he's a good GM, to date...aren't because of last night's loss...or even because we started 1-6. If you read my posts here, I've been pretty consistent for a long time with respect to how I feel about this currently comprised roster.

You're kinda throwing the "knee-jerk" stuff at me, and I think most here who've read my posts for the last couple of years would say that, even if they disagree with me, they know where I am on this...it's nothing new.

16. MadMax

I don't think you can discount the injuries. I realize you completely disagree with me with respect to Yao...but we knew what we were getting from the moment we drafted that guy. If he was going to be impactful (there were some who thought he would just be Mhuresan (sp?))...which he most decidedly was...it was going to be on a short timetable. Because men at that size don't have long careers. The Rockets were aware of that, as well. They've been building on fool's gold for too long.

17. MadMax

then tell him to kiss my ass the next time he asks for public money for a playpen.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Max, you keep saying big men have short careers etc.

But the truth is that SOME do, some have long careers.

Kareem played like 20 years, Mark Eaton played for years, it just depends upon the player.

I don't think they were building the team on a bed of sand, I think they just got unlucky with Yao's feet.

And maybe his foot is fine, and they are just being cautious......let's wait and see....

Not much else to do I guess.

DD

19. Rocketboi

Rocketboi Member

omg are you serious!?!?!?

How can anybody resist trading

landry and a worn out mcgrady

for

Jordan hill (8th pick)
    2 draft picks
    Kevin Martin (one of the purest scorers in the league)
    Jared jeffries

20. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

The Rockets definitely do that sort of analysis. How players fit together is a major consideration. There are a lot of factors that come into play when weighing the pros/cons. You are zeroing in on the cons because the Rockets have struggled so much this year.

The Rockets primary goal was to become a balanced team that would be very good on both ends of the floor this year. They've had a lot of trust in their defensive system, and believed with a few roster upgrades and time they would be good on that end. Getting Yao back would help, and they probably intended to add another defensive big as well (if not in the offseason, then sometime during the regular season).

Keep in mind that for years the Rockets were a very good defensive team -- even without really good defenders at the starting guard positions -- while they've always been a middling to poor offensive team that didn't get enough free throws or transition buckets.