1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

do this 4 things and were done

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Onepaks, May 12, 2008.

1. Onepaks

Onepaks Member

this is what the rocks should do in my opinion.

1. Trade battier and brooks for a resign calderon (7 mil per year 5 years with max increase.

y the raptors do it? Coz nobody is gonna take ford from them with his injuries n contract. Hes good enough to start but teams ill get scared. Calderon is as good as gone if he doesnt get to start and get his minutes. Raps are not crazy enough to make ford sit on dabench and get paid 9m per year. They need a top notch wing defender and a promising point.

y the rocks do it? 6 reasons.
    1. cris paul
    2. deron williams
    3. b. diddy
    4. parker
    5. nash
    6. kidd

they cant keep up ith these guards. calderon may not be on par with them yet but he definitly can hang with the big boys. Alston will be relegated to backing up and i think that will help the rockets coz they dont loose any playmaking skills except shooting. I dont care about loosing brooks coz our pg's are set for a decade we dont need another one. Loosing battier hurts a lot but you have to give to get and thats y we have to:

2. Sign pietrus for the whole mle. yes it might be too much but i think hes worth it. He has athletecism that battier doesnt have. Same outside shooting decent defender. But he has definitly more upside than battier especially on the defensive end. Hes gonna be our battier except with more athletecism.

3. Trade bjax francis head novak 25 pick for mike miller and a resign kwame brown.
    y the grizz do it? money money money. and they get somethong for dead weight brown.

y the rokcs do it? miller is gonna be our gunner of the bench. Hes gonna back up pietrus and tmac no more head. Brown is gonna be our back up center

4. Sign landry ith the 2m bi annual we have

line up for next year

C yao/brown/hayes
    pf scola/landry/hayes
    sf peitrus/miller/harris
    sg tmac/miller/2nd round
    pg calderon/alston/2nd round

draft a pg in the second round and buy another second round and draft a sg

what do you think

2. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Edit: never mind... just ignore this post... it's me irritated at work

3. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

it's summer, people suppose to get horny!

4. EGYPT

EGYPT Member

I would not trade Battier without getting another defensive player in the trade like Marion or Artest.

5. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Those would all be great moves. It is just too one sided for anyone except for pietrus, though. The raptors could get more for calderon, the grizzlies could probably get more, and landry might still want more.

I do see a series of moves happening for us this year, though, because we have alot of money coming off the books.

6. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Whats the obsession with pietrus? maybe because i live in the bay area and watch warriors games and have friends who are fans, but that guy is pure trash. His basketball IQ is worse then any player i have ever seen, and not a single person i know whos a warriors fan wants him back for the minimum, let alone the mid level.

7. tested911

tested911 Member

I'm not sure if your correct on this.. Several salary sites have us spending 64-65 million on the team next year ( And this is before moves ) Lux Tax is going to be somewhere around 65 - 67. We have crap in free money available.

8. BroadwayBelm

BroadwayBelm Member

3 is a absolutely horrible idea.

9. eMat

eMat Contributing Member

I agree, I don't want Pietrus. And Landry won't take the 2 million LLE. I think we'll have to spend about 3-4 to keep him. However, I like the first idea and, for a change, it actually seems realistic.

How so? The only thing of actual value we'd be giving up is Bobby's expiring contract. The rest is garbage. We get our third scorer and a decent backup for Yao. Then we can start to look for ways to get a solid perimeter defender back. From three problems we would only have one, albeit a new one, left.

10. Czar

Czar Member

Toronto has Anthony Parker and Jamario Moon as starting 2/3. You guys really think they want another defensiveminded wing. :rolleyes:

11. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

Comparing Pietrus with Battier is WAY off the mark. This is a high IQ team. Pietrus reminds me of Stromile Swift. Brawn but no brains. There is no way Pietrus is better defensively. Battier just was 2nd all Defensive Team. I don't think there was a single vote for Pietrus. I'm not totally against Pietrus, but see him more for depth, not a starter, and certainly not our defensive stopper. I think we'll look for the best bargain to add to our rotation with our MLE, and be patient, since this will be a buyer's market, and that could be Pietrus.

If Calderon is so great, how come they didn't go anywhere in the playoffs, even with Bosh, Barganani, and Moon? I'm not sure he'd get us any further than a healthy Alston. If Alston hadn't gotten injured, we'd have gone to the next round, I'm sure. I just don't see Calderon taking us all the way to a championship, although I'd love to pick him up, since he might eventually be capable, and he's young, and could be a good building block.

I'd love to get Miller, but I think we should try more for a package of Miller and Navarro for our PG, and give them our draft pick as part of the deal. I don't see this as a very good draft, except the first 2. If we keep our pick, we should trade up and get Westbrook. After the first 2, he's the only one I think would fit our team well, and be worth the investment. But, I don't have Morey's scouting team and data reports. After last year, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt, until he proves otherwise.

I'm hoping we can get Landry with our LLE, but he looked pretty good there at the end. It won't surprise me if other teams bid on him, limiting our flexibility this offseason.

I think our biggest move will be in trade, and quite possibly Miller ... maybe not even until the trading deadline. I think that's why we got BJax.

That may be all we get.

:(

#11 Sherlock, May 12, 2008
    Last edited: May 12, 2008
  12. The Rock MVP

The Rock MVP Member

You have to realize that the only reason they go Kwame Brown was to add a huge expiring contract that will get them under the Salary cap.

Resigning him and trading him for the same amount of the contract he was signed to will contradict the reason they gave up Pau Gasol. He is there to give them salary cap room to sign a big name free agent. Not to trade for novak, head, francis.

I like the idea of trading for miller, but adding kwame in there ruined it

13. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Call me crazy, but it seems that after all those trades, the team is marginally better at best. And all of the moves are contingent on the others, and if any one of them falls through, it makes the team significantly worse.

14. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

Yeah.. people have been so spoiled by battier, that they all of a sudden think our d would be the same w/o him.. battier is good yo.. don't trade him.. he knocks down open 3s.. has a little jump hook.. and can drive... WHY!! would you not want him on your team???

15. Dream lover

Dream lover Member

looks great for us, problem is that it's not going to happen.

1. Toronto is not going to let go of Cal because of Ford's injury problems, but they will gladly give you Ford for the same offer. A 9 million injury proned player off their hands and getting a defensive SF and pg project for the future. You bet.

2. Memphis isn't going to just give you Mike Miller without something good back. A sign and trade with landry is what's going to do it and taking back more money than we are sending. Memphis is bleeding money right now. If we are serious about getting Mike Miller, it would end up being a big trade with several pieces in it, hopefully Luther Dead Head is one of them.

3. Kwame? Are you kidding? First of all, he's off of their books already, they traded Pau away for him because of that 9 million coming off of the books this summer. .....Kwame? Not in a million years.
    Secondly, you are are probably going to get Brian Cardinal instead which Kwame would actually be an upgrade, but you might be able to talk them into Darko since we would be sending them a jumping jack power forward that has a lot more upside than anything they currently have. We in turn would have a decent back up at the center position who no longer has to have people wonder if he will ever "get it" because he's just backing up a real superstar. Although we lose a great potential in Landry (feel he can be All-Star caliber eventually), we are still strong enough at the power forward position with Scola starting, chuck hayes off the bench for defensive purposes, and allowing Mike Harris to flourish more.

4. Pietrus would be the only logical pick up, but only if we trade away Shane. If Pietrus can be as good defensively as Shane was, or at least close to it, he would be a good pick up. He won't be expected to pick up any real scoring, but if he can do any better than Shane, it's a bonus. If we don't trade Shane away, then Pietrus makes no sense.

If we trade away the players the Rockets have said that they won't trade, then it's possible we could have a better team, but you're looking at trading away half the team (the future) for the now. Mike Miller as a starting shooting guard and Tracy back to the small forward spot, Ford starting at point guard with Rafer coming off the bench. Scola at the power forward and Yao starting at center. Good starting five. Rafer at back up point, Steve at shooting guard, Pietrus at small forward, Hays or Mike Harris at power forward, and Darko at back up center. Bench becomes a lot weaker than this past year. You have to hope that Mike Harris has a break out year, that Steve can have a real contribution, Peitrus can play and Darko plays better than he has in the past. You probably won't have all of the backups playing at the same time, but you are having to put more of a load on the starting unit. I think Miller would be that third scorer that the Rockets really need, but I don't think the team will pull a trade that Memphis wants to get him.

16. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Sherlock has it right on with Pietrus. He's an idiot on the court. Boneheaded play after boneheaded play... don't want him anywhere near this team.

17. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

Stop with the nonsense!!!

18. GermanRoxFan

GermanRoxFan Member

ok, you lost me right there.

the only advantage pietrus has over battier is athleticism. well, maybe he can speak better french, too.

pietrus is not as good as battier defensively. his basketball iq is a little suspect. his shot is inconsistent and especially his 3-pt shot is not as good as battier's. he's nowhere near battier in the hustle and intangibles department. and he's certainly no vocal leader.

i could live with pietrus as our primary swingman off the bench if we can't find a better one but anything else would be a nightmare. especially for more money than battier is earning.

19. Houston22

Houston22 Member

do anything except, trade Batier or TMac

20. Homie3

Homie3 Member

Battier is way more valuable to this team than people give him credit for. A significant reason why the Rockets were a decent team is our defensive ability. Although we no longer have JVG, our defense this season was still ranked high in the NBA. If we trade Battier then our defense will be mediocre at best, and there is no way we have enough offense to make up for what we give up on defense.

No. Do NOT trade Battier. That would be extremely detrimental to how this team plays basketball.