1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do the Spurs draft well or their coaches develop these unknown stars?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Sajan, May 15, 2014.

1. Sajan

Sajan Member

It feels like the random players that no one has heard of become stars on the spurs.

Are they just product of great coaching behind the scenes?

2. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Spurs know how to utilize players to their strengths.

Look at Patty Mills and Danny Green for example. They are good players and were prior to joining the Spurs but were not fitting in well prior to playing for G-Poppa.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Yep. Look at Gary Neil. He sucks outside of SA.

4. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

some drafting but mostly coaching and getting their players the best absolute shots

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Coaching, development AND plugging system guys into the right holes and giving mediocre players distinct roles they can focus on. Like Bonner. Or whatever random 7 footer they start next to Duncan.

6. y2Joem

y2Joem Member

how I wish we have this kind of system :(

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Well that also takes time. Stability and franchise players. The Spurs have had the same 3 franchise players for almost a decade.

8. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Its a combination of both.

9. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

10. i meow a lot

i meow a lot Member

+100. pretty much this. it's both. being able to draft well and then make full use of their abilities.

11. cheke64

cheke64 Member

They have the blue print to winning championships. They don't limit themselves to just one offense, they do it all.

12. FearTheBeardJH

He sucked in SA too, poor example.

13. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

I know this is a thread about the Spurs. But the Rockets have a pretty good system too.

It's why guys like: Chuck Hayes, Aaron Brooks, Carl Landry, Kyle Lowry, Chandler Parsons, etc.. have been relevant.

Spurs have developed their guys very well. But let's not act like they didn't have failures along the way, just as we did.

For every Terrence Williams and Royce White the Rockets have had, the Spurs have had a Jackie Butler and Ian Mahinmi. When you have a dynasty though, a lot of those types of "mistakes" (I use that term very loosely) are not brought up as often.

14. hltiki

hltiki Member

coaching, veteran leadership, player management, accountability, and most importantly, team ball

15. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

It's the system man. Once players know exactly what to do at different situations, there are very little room to make mistakes. Coaches know exactly what the players can do, and they fully utilize them.

16. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

wut

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/NgRf4iOIXeA?hl=ru_RU&amp;version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/NgRf4iOIXeA?hl=ru_RU&amp;version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Had

Except for Parsons, all those guys played under Adelman.

18. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

JVG said it well about Spurs: They have a great owner to let the GM to do the job without much interference. Their GM is great, the coach is the best, and the coach treats the player equally from the star to role players, everyone is accountable for the team. To me, their starting center is a big deal although almost everyone was saying he was overpaid when he was resigned, he would be an average player at best, but I see he just plays a great basketball under their coach, it is jut another good move for them.

19. watashi315

watashi315 Member

Running a basketball team is the same as running any other business or company. You have your Googles and then you have your Microsofts.

Drafting Duncan was definitely the turning point for that team. I mean things really came together in 97-98. Pops went from GM to being the head coach--->appointed RC Buford as the GM--->drafted Duncan--->shortened season led to first ring--->got ginobilli and parker--->and the rest is history

I think Pops and Buford ran that organization like clockwork. And they have an eye for talent that will fit with the organization.

20. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

Spurs just know how to work well together. Understanding basketball ain't about ISO all game.