1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do the Rockets have the most boring transaction history in the NBA since Tilman owns the team?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 3, 2019.

1. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Hate to break this to you guys, but the whole strategy of being financially responsible as long as you can and positioning yourself to have a shot at an opportunity where only a handful of teams are able to compete(thus increasing odds) has been around for quite a while in Houston - it's how we got Harden, it's how we got CP, and it's why we don't go wild overpaying on lesser talent(Ariza, Luc come to mind) so that we have that chance when another star is available to acquire.

I think Houston is correct in betting that the best mechanism for this team is via trades and NOT open FA market(remember how many teams cleared space to get Lebron?, remember how everyone bashes the city?) and I think Houston is correct in that "win now" really means collect as many stars and surround them with guys who are likely to outperform their contract value. The results suggest those undervalued guys make us nearly as good as the overvalued guys but with a much better opportunity to convert them into that 3rd star where you really move the needle.

And once again for those slow on the uptake - the modest roster moves don't guarantee success - it's simply a strategy to have better odds to make a big move with a narrower field of competitors. It's simply a numbers game(which is why we have forum insiders who report true things that end up not happening). If anyone has seen the cheesy 80s movie Real Genius - Morey is the guy who mailed in all the contest entry forms and won most the prizes who drives off in the winnebago at the end of the movie. He didn't play the game better than anyone else, he just played the rules better than everyone else and let the odds take care of themselves.

napalm06, brosef and jsilencio like this.
  2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

PHO also added rubio and zhaire. but in any case, if you wanna say the worst team in our conference did even worse than us, okay. and i'm one of the biggest fans here of both house and rivers, but i'm talking about improving the roster over last season

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I mean we did use MLE money on House.

4. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

only because we couldn't do it 6 months ago because it would have cost tilman LTS

5. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Naw. Rockets should still be using their exceptions when available. The year before Tillman showed up they used all of the MLE and the BAE. So far they have gone unused under Tillman. Maybe that will change soon, but so far they aren't maximizing their cap under Tillman. It's better to swing and miss with an exception than to just let it sit there when you are so close to a title.

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Remember when @thadeus used to be so cool on Clutchfans?

Thanks Tilman!

J.R. likes this.
  7. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Wish we’d lose Topfive for his dumb comment. Faried was one of the best players on the team and carried us when Capela was out. You and everyone else loved him when he kept being player of the game and we looked excellent. He blocked shots, provided great energy and even made 3s. How soon they forget!

RichieBanks likes this.
  8. JW86

JW86 Member

Troll, we’ve done okay.

roslolian likes this.
  9. roslolian

roslolian Member

But it has been improved since last season, last season we started out with Melo, MCW and Ennis. Over a year you upgraded from trash to Rivers and House, Davis and some change to sign another big, that's pretty big upgrade IMO.

Keep in mind Rox despite having the worst start in recent team history ended up being 3rd in the West and technically the 3rd best team in the league over all. Keeping your core team puts you in a great spot to make upgrades by midseason.

10. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i hear you but i'm not fully sold for a few reasons... 1) CP3 will likely regress even further as he gets older 2) it's a lot to expect harden to go wilt again like last season and carry us, not to mention to rely on his durability staying so healthy despite the heavy minutes/usage 3) most of our competitors in the west have gotten stronger as well -- ie. even SAS will be bringing back dejounte this season. so i actually expect us to finish around 4th seed again now, barring any real roster upgrades

11. Homey the Clown

As dumb as the Rockets look, there are teams out there who are in much worse situations. Our window is probably closed though unless we get another star to help Harden.

12. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

It could have something to do with having two max players on a contending roster that was largely set in stone before Tilman got here.... just tossing it out there. I realize it's more fun to be emotional.

13. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Not relevant to the conversation. That isn't what they're complaining about here. If Austin Rivers doesn't excite them nobody else taking MLE money is going to stop them from being gigantic babies.

14. BasketMAD

BasketMAD Member

That's cute until you realize that Morey hasn't been successful at luring stars or fringe all-stars in free agency aside from Chris Paul and washed (post-Lakers) Dwight Howard.

15. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

I think it's pretty relevant that they didn't do any spending last off-season and then didn't do anymore for the rest of the year. It's boring because the Rockets have spent the last 12 months not spending any money and trying to cut costs along the way.

16. Garner

Garner Member

What's the topic? Morey has done incredibly well surrounding Harden with talent.

17. Sep11ie

Sep11ie Member

Nope. Just a few terrible followers. I refuse to call this moron Carl a fan.

18. roslolian

roslolian Member

1) Human regression isn't a linear thing it comes in bursts and spurts. If you look at DRose or Vince Carter after they massively regressed they stayed at that level for quite a while it's not like DRose became a cripple now because he started regressing 5 years ago. Unlike you I actually expect an uptick for Cp3's performance this year, he should come in with a lot of focus unlike last year when Melo and him were partying it up and expecting to walk all over GSW.

2) Secondly Harden only had to Wilt Chamberlain it up because all the rest of the starting 4 got injured at the same time for an extended period of time, I highly doubt that will happen again.

3) Apart from Lakers with Kawhi who exactly can threaten the Rockets in the West? I fail to see anybody who has a roster better than what the Rox have apart from the Lakers. If Rox were in the East maybe you can argue Sixers and Bucks might have a better team but that's not the case in the West. Dejounte? You mean Murray? He just came back from ACL you expect him to vault SAS over the Rox? Yep, a career 6 ppg 43% scorer coming off a career ending injury is gonna put the fear of God into Harden and the Rockets wtf

I guess we'll see I predict Houston will have 1-2 seed in the West heading into midseason.

19. IvanLCPM

IvanLCPM Member

Thank you, sir.

20. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

do you want 50 thousand trades every off season.......