1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do Athletes perform better under grief ?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by moestavern19, Oct 27, 2000.

1. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Ok Edgerrin James , 219 yards rushing just days after his Half brother was gunned down , Colts record . Just Focus? or an instinct to take it out on something?

Joe Dumars playing in the NBA Finals just minutes after His Father died , and he played super .

Who could forget our own Carlos Rogers , played the best game of his Rocket career hours after his brother's death . What about Shandon Anderson? will he want to come out and kick some tail in memory of his mother? It just seems strange how a tragedy could fuel a players will so much ,

------------------
    This signature space for rent call 555 ...

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

They may be more focused on the task at hand so that they may block out the horrible stuff going through their heads at the time.

I'm amazed that they can do that though.

------------------
    When you make an assumption, you make an ass out of yourself and umption.

visit www.swirve.com

3. Azim da Dream

Azim da Dream Member

That is interesting and puzzling. It could also be that all the sadness, anger and hurt the players supress are released during the intensity of the game, and the pro's almost naturally channel that into energy. I'm sure they get more intense than normally, and possibly show raw emotion.

Let's hope Shandon gets through this ordeal alright.

Azim da Dream

------------------
    We don't live for the destination. We live for the journey.
    http://www.clutchtown.com

4. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

Well it goes both ways, some players shine and others faulter when faced with stress.

------------------
    please venture to atheistalliance and rocketsonline
    I AM SPARTACUS
    Bush and Gore make me want to Ralph
    votenader.com

5. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

There are different kinds of "stress".

Grief over losing someone close to you can often have a short-term positive affect on the production of a player. But, it rarely lasts very long. Especially in the case of basketball or baseball where they must play so often.

Besides, I think Shandon's grief has gotten to the stage where it won't be beneficial to his on-court play. I just hope him the best. My expectations are for him to struggle early on, and finish the season strong.

------------------
    I have a dream.........his name's Hakeem.
    DREAMer's Rocket Page