1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

DJ Augstin and Caron Butler sign with the Detroit Pistons

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by zeeshan2, Jul 13, 2014.

1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Hearing Detroit on the brink of signing Caron Butler after Butler's postseason run with Oklahoma City.</p>&mdash; Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/statuses/488496784747298816">July 14, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Caron Butler's expected deal with Detroit said to be for two years in the $9 million range</p>&mdash; Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/statuses/488506680716832768">July 14, 2014</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Free agent guard DJ Augustin has reached a two-year, $6 million deal with the Detroit Pistons, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.</p>&mdash; Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/statuses/488494298283782145">July 14, 2014</a></blockquote>

2. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

3 mill a year for augustin isnt bad at all

Caron is done though

3. IamHobbs

IamHobbs Member

The Caron deal has the second year as a team option.

Augustin is a steal.

Butler is stealing. Detroit needed SF depth though and he's probably a good locker room guy.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

:confused::confused:

Jennings/Bynum/Augustin/Siva
    KCP/Meeks
    Smith/Butler/Datome/Martin/Singler
    Monroe/Jerebko/Mitchell
    Drummond/Harrellson/Gray

5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

I don't think Smith and/or Monroe stay on that roster

6. IamHobbs

IamHobbs Member

You forgot Dinwiddie who they drafted. A few of those guys are going to get cut. Harrellson, Datome, Mitchell, and Bynum are all possible. Maybe a trade too.

7. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Morey goes after Smith in a desperation move?

8. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Depth? Never heard of it.

-Morey

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Doesn't match Parsons' $14 mil offer...

...trades for Josh Smith's $13.5 mil salary.

BWAHAHAHA!

Yeeaahh no.

10. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

Stan Van Gundy takes over and the team is still being run the same way. I honestly think I could run that team better... which isn't saying much.

11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

You don't like this Augustin signing? For that price? I think that's a good move.

12. DreaMac

DreaMac Member

13. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Morey trying to be the 1st GM in NBA history with starters playing 40 minutes all 82 games and absolutely no bench. In Morey we trust

14. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

Good pick ups for them. They needed more shooting and a strong back up PG. Some stability behind Jennings.

15. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

They needed a backup PG and getting Augsutin on that contract was a steal.

Butler I think is going to be there to b****-slap Josh Smith and Jennings on behalf of SVG when they make a mistake on the court. I think it's a good idea. Can't let Drummond super bright future be steered by those two guys in the locker room.

16. izeroi

izeroi Member

That's a great price. Would have loved him as our back up but oh well.

17. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

I do like the Augustin move, good value... but Butler? Meeks? Cartier Martin? It's like they're trying to stay medicore. I don't think Butler and Meeks are going to really help a bad team get that much better. They're perfect as role players on contending teams, though.

18. IamHobbs

IamHobbs Member

Detroit was a horrible 3 point shooting team last year. I think they were 29th in the league. Everyone they signed (outside of Gray) shot 39% or higher from 3 point range. Those guys will thrive off of what Detroit does on the inside (they lead the league in points in the paint).

All of the contracts they gave out were 2 years except for the 3 to Meeks. They will continue to have cap room and flexibility while they improve the team.

All the guys they end up dumping this offseason were brutally bad. Yes, they need to find some stud talent, but improving the team around them first will make it look better. It's a different way from Morey's dump everything for stars approach, but it's only the first year of SVG's plan.