1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Divorce] Simplest and cheapest preferred

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by swilkins, Jul 25, 2007.

1. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

OK, so here it is.

It has been a year since my mess that I had last summer. Since then, I have completely turned my life around. Both of us are happier in our new lives. Kinda the way that it should be, but I still have 1 thing looming over me.

I gotta get divorced.

I have seen these places on the internet that charge anywhere from 99 to 250 bucks to do the paperwork and then there is a 60 day waiting period. This begs me to ask the question.

Why can't I just go get the paperwork and do it myself? Is it that complicated.

Some lawyers that hang out here might say, "Sure, go do it yourself if you want to go through the extra hassle". I'm of firm belief in using the skills of others where it best meets the need and so therefore I have decided to pay to have an lawyer do the paperwork.

This is a simple divorce:
    - No kids involved
    - Money was already figured out 1 year ago and we both make roughly the same amount of money.
    - The house stays with me as she agreed to be bought out the beginning of this year.
    - I trust her to sign the dotted line and move on. It's all she wants too.

The important thing is that this divorce gets done.

Suggestions?

2. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Well, sounds like a win-win for both parties...I hope it goes smoothly as it rarely does...As long as you guys are on good terms and agreeable, then the lawyers should be able to do the paper work and be done with it...I have no experience in an easy divorce so good luck...

3. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Wow swilkins I just read your post again from last summer. To forgive your wife, you must be a saint. If any woman pulled that on me, I'd pull out my rolodex of classmates ;)

4. swilkins

She was unhappy and admitted that she never intended for me to get hurt. I love her very much, but some things just aren't meant to be. We might have better luck being friends than a married couple. We just never really honored the marriage the way marriage is intended. It took me some time to understand that.

I love everyone on this board for providing me encouragement and support when I honestly felt I had no place to go. I was in a very bad place.

Now I am happy and I just want the same for her.

5. luckystrikes

luckystrikes Member

If there's no kids, and both parties agree on who gets what......it's a pretty simple process.

Get on-line and print out the forms. Get them signed by both of you. Submit the paperwork to the courthouse. I think you have to wait 2 months, then go back and fill out some other forms. and bang, that's it. I think there's a filing fee, or a court fee.....50-100 bucks or something like that.

Good luck buddy.

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

swilkins ---

so sorry for all this. so encouraged by your outlook and your willingness to forgive. that's awesome. inspiring.

7. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

might i suggest?

[​IMG]

8. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Link?

9. jtotheb

jtotheb Contributing Member

I went to www.legalzoom.com and they did mine. It was about $350 and then court costs (which are minimal). Smartest thing I ever did.

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'm gonna have to bookmark this thread. Luckily our's will be really simple. Of course, now she's saying she's not sure what she thinks anymore, so who knows how long it's gonna be.

Who knows for sure how long the waiting period is between filing and it being final? I told her that I would do none of the work, but would pay my share. A month ago she said she was going to file, but still hasn't done it. If she hasn't done it by September 1 and hasn't said one way or another regarding reconciliation, I'm filing myself.

11. MLittle577

MLittle577 Contributing Member

12. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

I went down to the Travis County Courthouse, here in Austin, and picked up a Pro-Se Divorce packet from their library. It has all the documents for you to fill in yourself (PDF versions are available online).

They also have a reference attorney to review the documents and make sure you did everything correctly before filing.

I filed the paperwork, waited the 60 days and went back to the courthouse and got on the docket.

At least in Travis County, they had very good instructions on what to do and when to do it as long as the divorce is uncontested.

I think it costs roughly $250 to file. Fast and cheap.

For the curious, I filed last November and it was made official in February. We made it 14 years. We have two boys together, 14 and 10.

I feel like I was paroled from a life sentence.

13. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I did a search for "swilkins marriage." It's the only thread that comes up.

swilkins, you should share your story of recovery with others...if that story had happened to us we would be bitter, angry, vengeful, etc.

14. swilkins

I might do so, in a different thread.

It wasn't easy. I was very co-dependant and didn't know it. I have a group of friends that mean the world to me and supported me throughout my wild journey. God played the biggest part. Putting others before myself, got me out of myself. I was very controlling and still tend to be. Hidden motives can even be hidden from oneself. Denial protected me throughout life. Humility is the pathway to freedom.

I read Sermon on the Mount and that helped me relax and stay focused.

I watch Osteen on the weekends. He is such a positive influence.

If anyone ever suffers this, I would be happy to share my story with them. Everybody does things their own way and I wouldn't want it to become a debate.

I ran away from fear in the past. I found out that life is about facing those fears. When I allow my fear to consume me, it affects my character which is what others see. The important thing to do is to find away to replace bad character with good character and the rest will work it's way out.

I am a very fortunate human being, although at times I felt like giving up.

I thank God everyday.

15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

absolutely. no matter what you believe about God, the Sermon on the Mount is revolutionary stuff that changes lives for the better.

16. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

One of the best posts I've read here...

thanks

17. swilkins

18. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

19. right1

right1 Member

You're cool swilkins! Awesome post!

20. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

i did mine online - as long as there are no kids and it's uncontested, it cost... $62 and change.

you file, wait the mandatory 60 days (who knows why - you only have to wait 7 days for a gun - which is much easier), go to court, fill-in this little "speech" worksheet that you then read aloud in court. the judge agrees, bangs her gavel and the drinking can then commence .0002 seconds later.