1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Discovery]Gold Rush Alaska

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by boomboom, Jan 10, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Dirt Road

Dirt Road Member

I love this show. It's one of my favorite shows on TV and the only "reality" show I watch normally.

2. Newlin

Newlin Member

I watch it. I wonder how much they actually make after paying all their expenses. I've heard some people say they doubt Todd makes any money from gold mining, but only from TV.

3. TheresTheDagger

Great show, but I admit I haven't watched it consistently in a couple of years.

The kid "Parker" has been interesting to watch grow up on the show.

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I swear reading the last few comments, it sounds like every other reality show on Discovery, History Channel, etc. I have no idea how these repetitious, inane shows get me hooked, but I keep watching. Deadliest Catch has to be the worst offender. Same thing every 5 minutes, yet I continue watching. And now I'm trying to fight off watching Wicked Tuna. Arrrggghhh. Well at least this show hasn't hooked me yet. :grin:

5. Gakatron

Gakatron Contributing Member

No way Hoffmans would make any money. Far bigger crew than Parker and constantly bringing in new machinery. Except for Dave they are a very unlikable bunch.

Parker is an ******* but knows what he's doing. Will probably be successful in his own right even when the show is done.

6. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I haven't watched this show yet. I'm a fan of Bering Sea Gold (both the summer and winter versions) but in general I try to stay away from these reality shows. I quit watching Deadliest Catch when Captain Phil died because it made me sad and I'm glad I did. I watch too much TV anyway.

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Sig Hansen just had a heart attack.

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Two skippers, now?

Alaskan King Crab are high in cholesterol, right?

9. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Did he retire afterward? If I was laying money of who would go next after Phil it probably would have been Sig.

10. rcoleman15

rcoleman15 Contributing Member

Link:
    Gold Rush Patriarch John Schnabel Dies at 96

11. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Oh man...Grandpa Schnabel died. He seemed kind of indestructible for so long but obviously had health issues along the way as shown on the show.

I will say that the relationship between him and Parker was so strong.

It kind of feels like those of us who watch this show a lot lost our own grandpa.

RIP John Schnabel...an amazing man who had an incredible life that we got a peak of.

12. Surfguy

Anybody still watching Gold Rush? I feel bad for Todd Hoffman having to hand over 100 ounces of gold to Parker per that bet on who would get the most gold this season(Todd mining in Colorado this season; Parker in Alaska). I wish Parker would have handed it back to him given Todd's bad season. I also am going to miss Todd per his retirement from mining meaning he is off the show. He and his crew came a long way from the beginning when he knew nothing about mining and had little Parker helping him out. It's been great watching Todd and his crew. It would be nice to see some of his crew come back on other crews on the show next season. I'll never forget Todd taking his crew down to South America that one season and totally striking out everywhere he went. It made for good TV fodder. Parker and his crew just did incredible this season raking in 6,200 ounces of gold valued at $7.5 million. It was funny watching him tell Tony Beets to "f*** off" there at the end. LOL. I still love this show! For some reason, watching folks find/sluice gold and tally it up never gets old in my book.

13. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

I still watch it. Still entertained...not so much by the gold hunting...but the personalities. I can't believe Hoffman lasted as long as he did. Seemed like he was hemorrhaging money every season...unless, of course, old man Hoffman was pocketing gold before he brought it out in the glass jars.

theimpossibles1 and Surfguy like this.
  14. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Parker donated the 100 ounces to charity.
    It popped up on the screen when he was driving off

theimpossibles1, Yung-T and Surfguy like this.
  15. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Todd has the rights to the show and sponsorships, so he didn't really need a profitable mining business and would've had to end this way earlier in the real world.

There are a lot of rumors and bits about a large part of their actions and numbers being fake, especially when it comes to profit.

16. theimpossibles1

You're frickin kidding me!

I was absolutely sucked into this show for the first two seasons. Watching them struggle their asses off to recover meager amounts of gold was oddly satisfying. That South America season was some of the most painful sh*t I have ever watched.

Eventually with their improved success and the saturation between this, Bering Sea Gold, and Under the Ice it all became too repetitive. Those first two to three seasons were pure 'gold' though.

17. droxford

droxford Member

It's one of the few shows I still watch.

I suspect Todd's son, Hunter, will be representing the Hoffman efforts next season.

When Parker bought the mudhole, the first thing he did was drain the water out of it. As he was doing this, I was saying, "He might wanna move the water into a pond so he can have water to sluice." Did he listen to me? No. Later he had problems 'cause he had no water. He has a lot of drive, ambition, and knowledge, but he's terrible at managing a team and planning. Has no business acumen, which is why Tony has been getting the better of him over the years.

18. Surfguy

It wouldn't surprise me at all if the remnants of Todd's crew are back working in Alaska next season for Tony Beets now that Parker is working another man's claim per a better royalty deal than what Tony was giving Parker. I have a hard time seeing Hunter leading the crew, though, because he still seems way too immature about it all.

19. ATXNekko

ATXNekko Member

I dont really see the need for Tony to lease out the land to anyone else. He needs a place to put the second dredge, knows the area is viable. Why give up 80% when his dredge can do all the work while he drinks coffee in the wheel house.