1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dirk Nowitzki: Invitation to Second Banana Club

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by steddinotayto, May 4, 2007.

1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Something I put together for Dirk. :D

Dear Dirk,

First, I'd like to tell you how apologetic and sad I truly am that your season and your team's season had to end abruptly this year. I'm more concern, though, that it had an ending of epic proportions. It's hard to comes to grip with what had happened last night, especially to a 67-win team like the Dallas Mavericks.

The Golden State Warriors were just a team of destiny. That's all I can say. Don Nelson had the psychological war won against your coach, Avery Johnson, way before the tip-off to Game 1. This is the man who relegated your coach to the bench the LAST time the Warriors won a playoff series back in the early 90s. That's right, Avery Johnson was riding pine much akin to what Adonal Foyle is doing right now. As for your teammates, there's not much else to say. Jason Terry, aka "The Jet" (only because his initials spells out as much, and not because he could soar like the real Kenny "The Jet" Smith did in two Slam Dunk competitions), couldn't come up with the same magic he had when he dissected the Houston Rockets two years ago. Stackhouse, your team's rock, had inconsistencies that were too much to over come. But there's a silver lining. Josh Howard and Devin Harris had prove to be the heart and soul of the Dallas Mavericks team. As aloof as Howard is, he came to play in every game. As feminine as Harris is, he showed some toughness that most of your team--including yourself--lacks.

No one that is considered to be one of the best shows up to an elimination game scoring only 8 points. No one can be considered an MVP candidate and be a team leader when they're seen on national television riding more pine than Jack Haley. But the past is the past and the future is now and this is a great opportunity for you, Dirk. You have been extended an invitation to an exclusive club--a club that borders on greatness. It is called...The Second Banana Club.

Yes, the name sounds juvenile but the members of this club are far from that. Here's a sample of who's currently an active member:

Alonzo Mourning: Zo. He gave 120% ("110% is for the PJ Browns of the NBA") every game and is a true professional. But he could never get his team over the hump--not against Michael Jordan or even an 8th-seeded New York Knicks team. His hook shots would sputter and his free throw shooting would be suspect when it was time to shine. Bailed out by: Tim Hardaway, Dwyane Wade, and a host of role players in the late 90s.

Kevin Garnett: The Big Ticket. Numerous All-Star selections. MVP winner (much like yourself). All-NBA and All-Defensive team selection year in and year out. But could never muster to be "the one" when his team needed him the most. Rather than taking the big shot, Garnett would graciously defer to a teammate of lesser talent but bigger balls. Bailed out by: Sam Cassell, Troy Hudson, Wally Sczerbiak.

Karl Malone: The Mailman. What else needs to be said? Two-time MVP winner. Second all-time in career points. The man has done pretty much everything...except for being in NBA fans' minds as a clutch performer. Of course there were times when Malone played great when it counted, but he will always be remembered for two things: "the Bear Hug" and "the Strip" by Jordan. Bailed out by: John Stockton.

Chris Webber: C-Webb. A player who was on his way to becoming the best power forward this century had ever seen. Possessor of a sweet outside shot, a knack for making tremendous passes, and a problem with never coming through in crunch time. We looked past the Time Out incident and examined his body of work in Sacramento. While Webber did all he could to get the Kings to the top, lady luck was never on his side when he needed to be the G.O.A.T.

See, Dirk? This club isn't meant for losers. This club is meant for the great ones that seemed to have been...mislabeled or misrepresented. These players would be elevated into the Pantheon of Greatness if they were able to take their team to the Promise Land by their own will and by their own determination. But for some reason or another, they always needed that extra nudge by a teammate. And after seeing how Josh Howard propped that Dallas Mavericks team on his back, you, Dirk Nowitzki, became eligible for our club. It's unfair that people everywhere thinks that you were going to be a second coming of Larry Bird because both of you are white and both of you can shoot from outside. Larry had something that you don't have--balls.

So, don't think this is a blemish on your career, but rather another impressive recognition...much like the MVP Award you are about to win. When David Stern is in your living room handing you that trophy, remember to say in your acceptance speech, "I just joined the Second Banana Club and I am proud to be a Second Banana!"

We hope to hear from you soon, Mr. Nowitzki.

Sincerely,

David Robinson

President and Founder of The Second Banana Club

2. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

3. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Post of the Year!! :D

4. BroadwayBelm

BroadwayBelm Member

if we lose tomorrow, add Tmac to that list....sigh.

5. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

why just Tmac? add the whole damn team. It takes 5 remember?

6. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

I remember reading an article earlier in the season (by Simmons, I think) that posed this question: has there ever been an NBA era with more "second bananas" than the current one?

To come and think of it now, you were right Bill: the league has never had more second bananas misrepresenting themselves as "franchise" players. There are very, very, very few superstar talents in the league today who have the whole package of talent AND intangibles.

A list of second bananas: Dirk, Melo, KG, Yao, Pierce, Allen, Redd, Lewis, etc.

Feel free to add more...

#6 tigermission1, May 4, 2007
    Last edited: May 4, 2007
  7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

it takes 5.

but if you think the expectation is the same for rafer as it is for T-Mac, you're nuts. there's a reason you pay a guy the kind of money we're paying T-Mac. and there's a reason why you don't pay it to other guys.

8. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Nice thread... I'd like to add a few points, if I may:

Please take ALONZO 2006 NBA Champion Mourning off that list. The man deserves the respect for his comeback. :eek:

Where's Charles Barkley on that list? :confused:

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Obviously (in Dirk voice) its because the league has expanded. The influx of foreign players has been strong but they dont produce many stars. And they want to add 5 teams in Europe?! If theres one thing I don't like its water in my whiskey...

10. BroadwayBelm

BroadwayBelm Member

okay and then why just Dirk and the rest of those guys stated?

11. Rockets64

Rockets64 Member