1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[DirecTV] RedZone

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rawool, Sep 11, 2010.

1. rawool

rawool Member

Hey guys,

I switched from Dish Network a few months ago. With DN, I was able to add on the RedZone channel for $5/mo. I called today wanting to add it in, but I was told I had to get NFL Sunday Ticket. I was also told by the customer representative that their RZ is different from other providers, and that they can't just add it into my programming.

I recall a thread a while ago with people calling and getting RZ for free or for a few bucks a month (I believe).

I'm really heated right now after talking to their supervisor. Anyone have suggestions?

2. drumbum

drumbum Member

So you switched to DirecTV? or the other way around? I was confused cause you said with DirecTV you could get it for five bucks a month, but then at the beg you say you switched from Dish.

With DirecTV I think you can order the NFL Network Redzone Channel without getting Sunday ticket.

3. rawool

rawool Member

I'm with DirecTV now. I was able to get RZ for five bucks when I was with Dish.

I called earlier, they said they couldn't add it without Sunday Ticket.

But like I mentioned, I recall a thread posted here that had several DTV customers get RZ without Sunday Ticket. So now I'm confused and frustrated.

4. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

DirecTV's RedZone and NFL Network's Red Zone Channel are two different things.

DTV's RedZone only comes with the NFL Sunday Ticket Superfan package if I'm not mistaken, but it's not quite the same as the NFL Network's Red Zone Channel you get on Uverse/Comcast/etc.

From all accounts, the NFLNetwork version is the superior one, and it's the reason that DTV is running ads the past few days saying "They don't show the whole game" in response to RedZone. What they don't realize is that if it's not your team, you generally don't care to watch the whole game. It's a stupid ad. I hope it backfires on them and more people leave DTV for a provider (Uverse!) that has NFL RedZone.

5. rawool

rawool Member

Yeah, I learned that today; I didn't know they were two separate Red Zone channels. I'm primarily concerned now as to how others were able to get it without getting ST though. :(

6. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

meh, I got the channel with my NFL Mobile on my Droid :grin:

any reason u switched over to DirecTV instead? Just wondering out of curiosity since Dish Network u can use one box to connect 2 TVs, which was my primary reason to stick with Dish Network.

7. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

There have been claims that this us happening, but it's only been through detentions. Apparently dtv will do it but only if you've been a subscriber for at least a year and when you call you speak with retention dept.

Since you are brand new, you'll probably have little luck.

I'm thinking if giving it a shot.

8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

DirecTV cannot be happy about the NFL doing Redzone Channel, they are desperate because they know how awesome it is.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Eh... they'll be fine. They make a lot of their money from sports bars who claim to offer all the games. Then there's still the diehard fans in other cities that want to watch their home teams play.

But there's a place for the red zone channel as well. Local fans, who can watch their team on local tv, will use it for fantasy purposes. Or its a good alternative to watch when the only local game on is uninteresting.

10. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

The NFL has us all by the balls, you'd be surprised how many people that "had to have" Sunday Ticket now rave about Redzone.

As Miguel alluded to, they are running basically a desperation ad that suggests that 1.) somebody would buy NFL Redzone thinking they'd be able to watch any game they wanted and 2.) Somebody wouldn't be able to watch their favorite team play, which is only true for out of market fans.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Oh, I'm sure. Those fans that can still watch their local or favorite team play now no longer need Sunday Ticket simply to keep up with all the other action live.

But, if you're a Jets fan and you're in Houston, where you may only catch 2 or 3 of their 16 games all year through national TV games, you still likely get Sunday Ticket (if you can afford it).

12. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

But for 5 bucks a month extra, you get to at least see every score... better than nothing if you can't afford to shell out the 400+ bucks or whatever it is.

13. Jet Blast

Jet Blast Contributing Member

How long have you been with DirecTV? They are not going to give you the Red Zone Channel if you're a new customer. Only customers with 9+ months of service have been getting free RZC.

You can read more about people getting RZC for free in this thread over at DBSTalk.com. Please note that the thread is very long -- 25+ pages.

The people who have been successful in getting free RZC have gone through retention. Talking to a normal CSR has generally not worked for most people.

Don't forget about the free preview of Sunday Ticket for week 1 only. RZC will be on channel 703.

14. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

It's pretty easy to find a good quality stream to the Red Zone Channel before the early games on Sundays.

15. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Question. If i have NFL Sunday ticket does that include Redzone?

16. Jet Blast

Jet Blast Contributing Member

Yes. It's on channel 703.

1 person likes this.
  17. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Anyone ever find steams of the Redzone channel online?

18. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I'm one of those people that is with DirecTV and was able to get RedZone as a stand-alone this year. I've been with them for nearly 10 years though, and had gotten NFLST for the last several years though I've never once paid full price for it. I simply called and asked and they gave it to me for free. They're not offering it to many people though. I think they are doing it as a test run this year for select customers.

You are probably out of luck since you're a new customer. You could probably at least get $120/off of the NFLST price, as it seems nearly everyone that asks for that is getting it.

19. TreeRollins

TreeRollins Contributing Member

I will have Sunday ticket for the first time this year. Does anyone know if the online portion will work me if I use it overseas?

20. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

It's the CSR game. Keep calling until you get it.

In fact, you can probably get Sunday Ticket and Red Zone for around $100 total. You just have to keep jamming different operators until you get one who will be nice.