1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Direct Comments on ClutchFans Articles

Discussion in 'ClutchFans Feedback' started by Clutch, May 31, 2013.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Curious your feedback on this. This is a first article where we're going to try out direct comments on an article rather than a comments thread in the Rockets forum.

http://rockets.clutchfans.net/3928/thomas-robinson-trade-market/

I was debating Disqus or LiveFyre for that and am trying out LiveFyre first.

The only real problem with it is you can't use your ClutchFans board account there. Eventually I'll get to that solution.

The reason for this tryout is I'd like to have more articles and don't want to feel like every article needs to be broadcast or announced on the Rockets forum (if that makes sense). In this case, it's an article on the 'T-Rob being shopped' news and there's already a thread on the board discussing it. I also am considering having a forum just for comments instead of this but, since it's the offseason, I wanted to give this and other things a try and see what you thought. Any feedback welcome. No need to sugarcoat anything... if you simply prefer discussing articles on the board, feel free to let me know.

Thanks!

2. Juxtaposed Jolt

Is there a difference between Disqus and Livefyre?

3. Jontro

Jontro Member

Does the site even get enough traffic through the front page?

I think you'd get more readership for your articles if you directly post it in the GARM somehow.

4. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Heads up for some of you users that may log in with your Twitter and Facebook accounts and like to talk ****.

Google caches the hell out of disqus comments. (I'm not sure on Lyvefyre). So be careful what you post if you use an account associated with your real name. It may come up in Google searches. (Not that your BBS account doesnt, but if you use an account associated with your real name, be careful what you post)

#4 Scionxa, May 31, 2013
    Last edited: May 31, 2013
  5. Jontro

Jontro Member

Yup I was about to post the first ever comment and just leave "-jont" in the end, but turns out I had to sign in. So opted against it.

6. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks for the heads up -- that's changed. You don't need to create an account... you can post as a guest, entering basic info.

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I posted my two cents! ;-)

8. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

How about TRob and Royce White to Cleveland for Tyler Zeller? Clears the cap space, dumps Royce's contract, and brings back an asset. If we strike out on Dwight, we have a serviceable backup center.

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

It seems disjointed to house comments out there, when all the rest of the conversation is in here. Is starting a thread on an article really so burdensome? Unless, of course, the goal is to drive traffic out there -- on the front page -- or tie in more tightly with the Facebook.

10. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I agree with Juan. The blog is great, but the majority of the traffic on Clutchfans is mainly in the message boards.

11. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

I think the biggest advantage of the CF thread is the fact that it's part of the forum and in a searchable location. If the comments section here is later transferable to a thread or can be searched and shared at a later point, then it looks good to me.

e.g. We all know how tinman et al. like to link to older CF/CC articles and the comments threads associated with them

12. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

BUT I CAN'T GET REPS THERE! THE HORROR!

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

If it draws traffic to the Front Page and new members to the BBS who otherwise wouldn't have found it, I think that's a good idea.

Any cfnet member can always create a thread to discuss your articles. It's not like we are forced to venture off the island to discuss your articles just because you don't start the thread yourself.

14. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

That's what I'm thinking.

15. mollamar

mollamar Contributing Member

Hard to judge the change before users are able to use their bbs usernames for the comments. For a lot of us former lurkers, we do certainly pay attention to the little green boxes as a scan the threads to determine the comments we read and with whom we engage in dialogue. Not having that ability seems to be a major limitation for adoption of this model.

16. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I like being able to discuss the articles in a thread, it's just a cleaner format. If you think that it's better for web-site traffic, that's a whole different story then.

17. jocar

jocar Member

The more, the merrier. It's interesting to see what fans of other teams have to say about the Rockets (and argue with them :D)

18. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Having in some outside "GUEST" postings as some potentially new members seems a good aim. And people that like using their FBs and Twits for everything with little concern about privacy and want their little pretty faces to show in avatars, might as well have that as another option out there. And simply if its gonna be that nice blog format, bout time to have it full featured like a true blog section.

So it'd depend on if its for all TRAFFIC with GUESTS and members, or if its for "us" the CF boardies.

For US: Personally I've never seen the article threads as forum eyesores. Because everyone recognizes Clutch Crew threads as the "official" word. And I think CF members would prefer the thread discussions to have their REPS tied in, and also the search-ability.

So from there its about WHAT'D KEEP ME from USING ARTICLE comments:

- Can't use my bbs account as all-access pass (and yeah LAZINESS in not registering something else) Though looks like thats being worked on
    - Not having reps tied in. Comments not searchable (for CONTRIBUTING members :eek: )
    - Possible "discussion duplication" if there's 2 different areas just to repeat the same things. By default I'd go with a thread for the continuous discussion. I'd maybe wait for a thread.

But we used to not link in articles, right? Can just go back to that way and leave it up to members to post. Gotta give that way a chance.

19. MrSabotage

MrSabotage Member

Don't like it

20. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

Here's a problem:

I didn't even realize there was a new article posted today!
    I saw a sticky thread and assumed it was the one from a few days ago. Whereas a post-allowing thread would constantly be bumped to the top of the forum where it can be seen.