1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dipping Fries in Mayo

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by CCorn, Jun 22, 2018.

?

Are you a communist if you dip French fries in mayo?

1. Yes

50.6%
  2. No

49.4%
  1. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Ketchup is trash (spicy ketchup is OK). Literally any other dip is preferable.

LonghornFan likes this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

No. just no. no. not at all

Deckard likes this.
  3. Buck Turgidson

There is nothing wrong with ketchup as the base of a dipping sauce. Depends on what you want.

Deckard likes this.
  4. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

What you people need is a common enemy, so I'll say this: most of the fries I've had in Europe are better than most of the fries I've had in the states.

Buck Turgidson and Os Trigonum like this.
  5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I care! Here's some random info. You can draw your own conclusion.

Belgium was about 53.6% Flemish (Dutch speaking) and 36.4% Walloon (French speaking) in 2008. Declared independence from the Netherlands in 1830, and was part of France earlier during the Revolution and after for a while. Has a convoluted history, to be honest. Belonged to Spain for about 135 years, and then Austria for a further 80. The Netherlands poked around in there, being the last "foreign power" to "own" it. Got invaded and occupied by Germany during WWII. French is largely spoken in Brussels and to the south, with Flemish (Dutch) spoken in the north. Sometimes, the Dutch and French speaking people don't particularly get along, or so I've heard. I guess Belgium exists because it has to. The country did a horrible job of governing the Congo during the colonial era.
    That's it. I've run out of gas.

Plowman likes this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

It's not my fault if people don't know how to cook fries or onion rings or fish or chicken or whatever.

7. Roscoe Arbuckle

Fyi, French Fries are called such because of how they are cut.

8. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Aioli is super simple to make. It’s just garlic mayo with maybe some lemon zest and I like sriracha if you want to add a little heat. ***** delicious with salty fries.

9. CCorn

CCorn Member

Real or not they have the best breweries I’ve ever been to, and the frituurs are awesome.

10. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

From time to time, I’ll mix mayo, Dijon, and ketchup together. Maybe add some cayenne and garlic powder too. I’ve used it in burgers, but I imagine fries would go great with it too.

11. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

he's right you know.jpg

burlesk likes this.
  12. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

this thread is simply the single most important thread on Clutch Fans at this time. Probably even the most important thread on the entire internet. just sayin'

Miracle Whip.jpg

13. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Well...since I’m married to her....I doubt that I’m a racist. A joke between us.....

macho GRANDE likes this.
  14. prohibido

prohibido Member

So it's not a real country. Maybe it's a duchy.

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Nope. That would be Luxembourg. It's a Grand Duchy. Actually, it's pretty grand. I landed there in early March of 1971 from Houston on Icelandic Air, after a stop in New York and Reykjavik, and it was snowing. Snowing! Really coming down. After a couple of days checking it out (it doesn't take too long, being a Grand Duchy, although its history goes back to at least the 9th century), I boarded a train with my trusty Eurail Pass and began heading towards the southeast.

Over and down to Switzerland, which I visited several times on that trip. Grindelwald was amazing back then. The little town faces the Eiger, one of the most dangerous mountains to climb in the entire Alps, and where much of The Eiger Sanction was filmed. There was and hopefully still is an incredible blue glacier at the head of its mountain valley. You get there by going to Interlaken and then, taking a little train, just go up and up to Grindelwald. Well worth the trip. Then down to Italy, over to Venice, deserted back then in March. The night I arrived, I saw a Ali/Frazier fight at about 3am in the barely open pensione I found. There was a crowd around the TV in the living room, and I could get a room upstairs, but after the fight. I had no problem with that!

I went from there to Greece via Belgrade, the capital of Tito's communist Yugoslavia, where I stayed a few days with the family of a guy I met on the train, who had been working in Paris, and who's mother lived in one of those Soviet apartment blocks. Met a girl and went dancing at a disco. Tito wasn't your typical communist leader. Ruthless, but gave his people more freedom than the rest of the countries in Eastern Europe had. Yugoslavia wasn't behind the Iron Curtain, like the rest of the Russian/USSR satellites. Saw Gypsies walking barefoot in the snow on the sidewalk and the locals would cross the street, rather than walk past them. Great Gypsy music on the radio. The Yugoslavs loved their music, but hated them. A freaky country back then.

Made it to Greece, and after a couple of days in Athens (I'd been there before), headed out into the islands. Spent a long time on Mykonos, cheap and deserted in March of '71. Had a room a family let upstairs for 50 cents a night. It had a balcony with a view of the windmills and the Mediterranean. Yes, I stayed there a long time. It was one of the ways I managed a 6 month trip. Memories! Sorry for going off the rails a bit, but I enjoyed recalling a little of that adventure. I often write for my own pleasure here, in case no one has ever noticed. (Yeah, right!)

#75 Deckard, Jun 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
    Plowman, arkoe and Os Trigonum like this.
  16. Roscoe Arbuckle

I went to Rockport once. The food sucked.

17. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Technically, aioli is just garlic and olive oil, which you can then add to. Mayo requires the egg. So mayo is an aioli, but aioli isn't necessarily mayo. Apparently, some purists think that anything more than olive oil and garlic makes it no longer aioli. At least that's what some French guys on the internet said.

Buck Turgidson and arkoe like this.
  18. likestohypeguy

Tried it, it's okay/don't prefer it, but also don't consider it some heinous crime against THe Food Culture or something if others do. Also have dipped in a vanilla milkshake, also don't prefer that. Just an excuse to get a milkshake.

Someone mentioned Raising Canes... that is where I have a sauce problem. Dip fries in the cane sauce made for the chicken strips I assume, then bring my own bottle of hot sauce in for the strips (acknowledging it is a well established faux pas/fat person cliché)!

19. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

Mayo is the worst and ruins anything it touches.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  20. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

tuna salad? I don't think so Tim

burlesk likes this.