1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dikembe Mutombo Appreciation Thread.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JujuxG, Mar 1, 2009.

1. JujuxG

JujuxG Member

Real name Dikembe Mutombo Mpolondo Mukamba Jean-Jacques Wamutombo but known mostly as Dikembe Mutombo or mount Mutombo or my favorite Deke, born June 25, 1966. 7 ft 2 in (2.18 m), 260 lb

Deke or mount Mutombo as fans like to called him, might not be the best offensive basketball player, but when it come to defense or getting rebounds or shot blocking, Deke is consider one of those great that has ever play this game. With records of second most shot block in NBA history and winner of four NBA Defensive Player of the Year Award, and had lead the NBA in rebounds and shot blocking in multiple seasons.

Beside Dikembe Mutombo's talent as a basket player, Deke is also a outstanding individual, with his personalities and leadership on and off the court or in the locker room.At the age of 42, Deke might not be what he use to be as a basketball player, but his personality remain the same, cheering on his team from the sideline, helping Yao with his shot block ability or just his present in general has a impact on the team.

Dikembe Mutombo has not only made a impact in the NBA but a even bigger impact with the 'Dikembe Mutombo Foundation'.Not only has Deke donated over 15millions of his own money to help build Biamba Marie Mutombo Hospital, but he also help bring awareness to problems in Africa, such as education.

There are numerous of players that are better than Deke but how many of them can they say, I could have done what he has done as a individual.

Here some great moments i found of Deke as a Rocket. :D
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bDKQhCgLqxU&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bDKQhCgLqxU&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

The infamous finger waves.
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/f3l2jBLcyzw&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/f3l2jBLcyzw&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I started this thread because as most of you may know this will be the last season he is going to play in the NBA, and to thank him for all his contribution as player for the Rockets Organization. Also, there has been too many negatives threads and i have seem poster complaining, so many this thread can brighten the board up.

ps,I know I make some mistake, but bear with it, sorry.
    Btw if anyone don't got anything good to say about Deke, please don't post here, thank you. Final word, Deke im going to miss you next season :(

2. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Too early to celebrate, because even though some fans appreciate him, most fans would rather have a young gun than a veteran like Deke and the Rockets organisation shows absolutely no loyalty and appreciation for Dikembe. RA is a stubborn coach and I really hate hit how he refuses to use the guy who's in his last year. At least let the guy go out with a bang !!!

Now he's just fading out and rotting on that freaking bench, while in fact he's earned his stripes and deserves PT, even if it's just 5-10 mins. Doesn't RA remember the 22 game winning streak, doesn't RA remember the incredible amount of loyalty Deke showed by signing with us ?? Mark my words, the guy will not play in the playoffs and will not play tonight, even when Jefferson murders Yao.

Sad how a great guy like that has to watch his career end like this..... :(

3. Houston22

Houston22 Member

My thoughts exactly!

4. ralphabetsoup

ralphabetsoup Member

Deke should have played last night.

5. Lonestar

Lonestar Member

have you seen he held Ron after the game last night when Ron was rushing to and arguing with the officials while everyone was leaving. Mutombo came back from the way to locker room to hold and contain Ron

Man, that's very cool

6. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Nothing cool about that, rather sad that Deke is only with the Rockets to clean up the mess. First the lockerroom problems, then Tracy, then Yao's shotblocking, then showing his teammates how to cheer and now holding Artest back ? Pretty messed up job for a guy who has played professional basketball for over 15 years.

I think if you asked Dikembe if he is happy ending his career here, playing for the Rockets all these years, not getting any playing time this year and was only used when Yao went down last year, he will definetly tell you he isn't happy. He's far from it, from the look of it, just look at his face during games; he was way more happy last year. Deke is a classy person so he would never talk bad about the Rockets organisation or any player in particular but I think he definetly is not happy with this situation.

Maybe it's only me but I feel that Deke is not even part of this team, you hardly ever see him on the floor, Deke is almost never mentioned in articles, never mentioned on Rockets Insider... :(

7. rocketman1979

rocketman1979 Contributing Member

Aldeman is a prick. Instead of giving Dikembe any playing time to knock off the rust and become an effective part of the rotation he's resorted to using him as a human victory cigar. :mad: I hate you Adelman for trying to run Yao into the ground yesterday and for treating Dikembe like a old man.

8. StaticC4

StaticC4 Member

That's true but Rick focuses on small ball when Yao's out and he can enforce some run and gun offense. Now IF JVG was still our coach that would NEVER happen Deke would've been playing last night and showing all those Chicago punks who's boss! :mad:

9. henGoOink

henGoOink Member

he should of played last night, woulda blocked the shlt out of rose