1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dieting

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dankstronaut, Aug 17, 2017.

1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Technically, no that's false.

A vegan diet isn't inherently healthy by its self. If someone is eating candy and drinking soda they aren't "doing it wrong" unless they are eating animal products or animal byproducts.

What you're describing is a healthy vegan diet, which is the ideal vegan diet, but it is not THE vegan diet anymore so then an unhealthy one is.

It's why I personally don't like to claim that I'm vegan, because my diet is more then that. I just say I have a special diet and am very focused on my health and well being, instead of naming off 5 different diets I could fit into.

I agree with you on the part of others writing the vegan diet off as a shitty carb loaded diet, that's simply wrong to assume as it's actually possible to have a keto vegan diet, not that I think that is particularly healthy.

#101 ThatBoyNick, Sep 1, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  2. Exiled

Exiled Member

The problem with high consumption of protein as you had said : taxing the kidney and also >>> Losing bone density.

i think its universally agreed on : Mediterranean diet is the most healthy type of diet , it defines moderation of food consumption, plenty of vege/fruit ,seeds , olive oil , grain and small portion of meat

3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

although recently there have been suggestions that the issue isn't so much the protein as it is the concomitant weight loss.

https://www.drweil.com/health-wellness/body-mind-spirit/bone-joint/does-weight-loss-lower-bone-density/

pretty much still speculative at this point

on edit: an article that suggests the bone loss hypothesis has been refuted, but still leaves other potential problems:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4258944/

#103 Os Trigonum, Sep 2, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
  4. Exiled

Exiled Member

almost every study had been done on diet/food related topic is flawed (with exception to vitamin D,C,E b/c its relatively cheap) , this is why we have so many contradictory results .IMHO, if it wasn't conducted by pharmaceutical companies then the chances those studies are very limited in resources,poorly controlled, one factor verdicts and such ....

relation between Protein & Bone Density can be found in multiple myeloma, and there is the foamy urine /proteinuria which indicate kidney issues with Protein ..,Red meat in particular is a substance that needs 48 hours to be fully digested ,not so sure it was intended for daily consumption

Os Trigonum likes this.
  5. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

6. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

7. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

One thing that worked for me in the last 8 months is intermittent fasting.

I skip breakfast and only eat between 12pm and 8pm.

Skipping breakfast really made it easier to decrease overall calorie intake without careful counting. I find myself eating still about the same amount for lunch and dinner regardless of if I eat breakfast. The 8pm deadline for eating also decreased my late night snacking. It's easier to just say 'no' to snacks when you just have to look at the time. I can't delude myself to eating a late night snack by saying 'well... this is relatively healthy'.

The morning hunger can be pretty brutal at the beginning though.

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

This sounds stupid, but one thing I try to do to limit eating anything after a certain time is brushing/flossing/etc. I hate doing that, so there's not a chance I'm ruining it by eating more because I hate going to bed without a clean mouth just as much.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  9. Sajan

Sajan Member

I have been doing some sort of fasting for 5 years and it has changed how I approach food.
    I got so sick and tired of counting calories and following all these internet based rules.

I used to do 12p-8pm feeding window (while eating maintenance calories) but now I throw in a 24 hour fast once a week. The fasting day is now a low calorie day because I want to splurge the remaining days of the week. If I don't splurge the other days, I can lose weight.

The main benefit of fasting is health reasons but if you play around with the calories then you can use the tool to lose weight.

Day 1 to 6: maintanence calories
    Day 7: eat a small dinner (for me this cuts down 1500 calories in 1 day).
    Roughly a 2 lb weight loss in a month with only 4 days of "strict" dieting.

Dankstronaut and No Worries like this.
  10. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Speaking of fasting, I tried to adhere to Ramadan once. Made it like 2 days, couldn't do it any longer!

I have read there are certain benefits in purging, done methodically of course.

So it came up on facespace and without trying I got berated by a vegan. Look, guilt trips ain't winning you any friends, whatever the topic. Not listening to someone you've engaged in a discussion with is silly.

I believe there are pretty disgusting practices in mass production of meat. I believe people can do better but don't because it's easier to go buy meat than it is to raise your own. We're on that level. I even respect people who can hold onto that diet, I sure couldn't.

What I'm not about to do, is have some 105 pound womans who works a non-physical labor job and considers yoga exercise tell me what I should eat. I'm a 200 pound mans, who sweats all day from work, working out and ballin. We don't have the same dietary needs b****!

Sajan likes this.
  11. Exiled

Exiled Member

for those who can't loose weight regardless of diet/activities, adds this : seaweed,turkey meat,flaxseed oil to your daily diet , stop when you can't tolerate heat/cold , this will work as if you're on thyroxine

12. val_modus

val_modus Member

200 pound guy here who is extremely active and vegan. You get to eat soooooo much delicious food (your taste buds WILL change within 4-5 days); basically no portion control, and you still maintain weight or gain if you adjust accordingly. Even if this was a 105 animal product consuming woman, her diet still wouldn't match up with yours.

13. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  14. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Curious as to your daily diet, the prep work, supplements, etc.

No portion control is accurate lol, from my modest amount of reading it would take just insane amounts of food to maintain myself.

Personally, and no offense t you or anyone...I don't believe in a diet that completely limits an entire entity of food.

15. Roscoe Arbuckle

I tend to eat a bucket of lard, but I'm a low carb diet.

16. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Nutrition and Psychology: two fields where we are living in the dark ages. None of us will live to see these fields mature.

17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

18. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I have tried the 8:16 time restricted fasting the last two weeks and have lost about a pound a week.

I have also been tracking calories on my phone app, MyFitnessPal. What I found is that I have trouble eating more than 1500-1750 calories per day in the 8 hour window. Thus, I am eating less calories than normal, which could explain the weight loss. If the time restricted fasting claims are correct, I have lost the weight in fat not muscle.

el gnomo likes this.
  19. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

20. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I'm 48 m 5'9" and started counting calories on May 4. Started doing Yoga on May 11 once a week. My starting weight was 332.8 lbs. Today I weighed in at 279.8 lbs. 53 lbs lost in 5 months. I'm up to practicing Yoga every day. Yoga has made all the difference in the world to me. Its so adaptable I can do a more strenuous cardio vinyasa flow workout a couple days a week and mix in some Yin or restorative Yoga on the in between days to stretch and meditate. The meditation helps relieve stress and keep me focused on improving both my diet and my yoga practice. I have 100 more pounds to go but I'm 1/3 of the way there in 5 months.