1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Did you buy a Galaxy S8/ or 8 plus because you thought it was better?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by what, Nov 15, 2017.

1. what

what Member

I did. I was with the brand for at least 5 years. So I want to air out a few grievances. I believe that the Galaxy S8 being a quality phone is a myth. If you want to explain why I am wrong, I would love to hear it.

Things I got used to, why I believe this
    1. Say I am typing an email or text message and I get to a word that I don't know how to spell so I use the microphone on the Galaxy S8. If it actually gets the word right that I am trying to add to my text, it will capitalize it for no reason. So then I have to go back to remove the caps on the letter. I just figured that this was normal. Well it ain't. The Motorola Z2 Force knows when to capitalize and when not to. Sure it is a small annoyance but it's an annoyance nonetheless.
    2. App folders. You can file this annoyance under the heading that Samsung doesn't know how to make something that's functional. The problem with the app folders is that any time you open one it blasts the folder out in the entire full screen mode. Why do I need that exactly? The Motorola Z2 Force actually makes a functional app folder that when I click it, it comes up as a small pop-up that I can select the app I want and be on my way. It is tin ear design.
    3. Ok Google hearing me. I am not sure if this is a hardware or a software issue, but at least since the Galaxy S7, I could not use ok Google without the phone being right in front of my face. Since I had no frame of reference I just assumed that this was normal. Not so. With the Motorola Z2 Force I can have my phone sitting on the seat of my car and the phone in sleep mode, and it still hears me with unparalleled accuracy. The Motorola Z2 Force speak recognition is so much better than anything that Samsung has put out that I can't even understand how they can call what they put out speech recognition.
    4. The speed of holding the back button. Here's another you don't know until you know annoyance, but the Samsung Galaxy phones back button is terribly frustrating. If you hold the back button for too long, it will erase 30 lines in less than a second. The Z2 Force has a much more functional continuous back hold button.
    5. The fingerprint scanner. There are at least three problems with the fingerprint scanner on the Galaxy S8. First it is placed in an awkward position. Secondly it don't work half the time. Seriously it doesn't work. Third the only extra function that it offers is to swipe down the notification menu. Every one of these has their own annoyance, but it is not until you try a superior fingerprint scanner that you realize how truly bad Samsung's is. The Motorola Z2 Force fingerprint scanner works every time, has multiple gestures that are actually functional and is in the right position on the phone to utilize it. Motorola allows you to remove the back button the recent apps button and the home button from your screen and just use the fingerprint scanner for everything. A brilliant design.
    6. Fast charging ain't very fast. Again this is something I had no clue about until I used a superior version. Basically the Samsung S8 touts itself to have fast charging, but it will take you 3 times as long to charge that battery as it does to charge the Motorola Z2 Force. If you wanted to charge 20% of the battery on the Samsung S8, it might take you 35 minutes. In that same time on the Motorola Z2 Force you could charge 50 to 60 percent of the battery. You might say that okay well the Samsung S8 has a bigger battery which is true the problem is that the Samsung S8 is a resource hog and you still not getting a relative to the battery size benefit in real world time. I find that the Motorola Z2 force's battery life last longer and doesn't drain as fast as the Samsung S8.
    7. The Samsung S8 is fragile and costs more to replace. I believe there was a report that came out that said the Samsung S8 repairability was a lot worse than other typical phones in its category and that is if you want to repair it. You could also wrap it up in a case. I hate cases myself. The Motorola Z2 Force is more rugged in real world situations. You will likely only have to replace the Shatter-Shield which is $50. But yeah the Samsung Galaxy S8 is waterproof, which the Motorola Z2 force is not. So there is one benefit to that phone.
    8. The notifications pull down. With the Galaxy S8 the notification cards seem to be only a glorified reminder that they are there. You can click on them and they can take you somewhere or you can remove them but beyond that there's nothing you can do. They are also narrow and one-size-fits-all. With the Motorola Z2 Force, when a new email appears if I pull down the notification I can see most of the email without going to the Gmail app and I can either reply or delete the message straight from the notifications. Smart design.
    9. Phone rotation. When you rotate the phone from horizontal to vertical or vice versa, it is clear that Motorola has taken pain to make the items appear in a more consistent manner. The Galaxy S8 in horizontal mode is terrible to say the least.
    10. The TouchWiz app drawer. I never understood why the Galaxy S8 and all the Galaxy phones spread there apps between more than one screen. It is just extra work.
    11. Marketing ploys. The Galaxy S8 is a 4K machine and the Motorola Z2 force is not. Aside from the fact that you can't even see the difference between the two, it is my personal opinion that the Z2 Force screen looks nicer and cleaner. I prefer the Google material design and Motorola's softer rendition of it to Samsung's.
    So you say, I don't use TouchWiz. I use Nova Launcher. Okay, but you are spending $250 more for a waterproof phone, and even if you switch the Launcher, you're never going to get rid of Touchwiz so it's always there in the background. It will cost you more to replace the screen if it breaks--and it will break. My thing is be truthful, the Galaxy S8 is an overpriced piece of crap. I would not even buy it now even if it was the same price even if it was $100 less then the Motorola Z2 Force.

If you don't agree with me, explain what I am not seeing.

#1 what, Nov 15, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    BleedsRocketRed likes this.
  2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Weren't you going to get rid of your desktop and just use your Samsung?

RedRedemption, CCity Zero and Ziggy like this.
  3. what

what Member

Yes, I was. But why I didn't was because the Samsung Dex only has 30 FPS, and I could not go back to 30.

4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I will say that a Galaxy 7/8 seem like a POS next to my LG V20 -- Samsung quality is not top end IMHO.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  5. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

The Note 8 is the best phone ever made.

6. what

what Member

I highly doubt that. If it uses TouchWiz, and it does, it has the same problems I've outlined for the S8. These are not isolated incidents.

7. rezdawg

It's the Samsung Experience... Not TouchWiz.

And your issues aren't really issues for me.

If I'm typing a word I don't know how the spell, my SwiftKey autopredicts it and spells it correctly for me. I don't need to use a microphone...i mean, that just seems ridiculously inefficient to even try.

Not sure what you mean by the app folders...its fine as is.

Never had an issue with Ok Google hearing me.

Holding the back button...um okay. Really doubt this is only a galaxy issue, but in any case, I've never had an issue with this.

Fingerprint scanner can be in a better spot... But it's completely on point. Works perfectly well.

Fast charging is incredibly fast... Better than most fast chargers except, I believe, the One Plus 5.

As far as fragility is concerned... Any phone that is basically all glass with no bezels is going to be fragile. Again, not an issue with Samsung, but just common properties associated with glass.

Notifications pull down... So you're complaining that you can see a little bit more of your email on the z2 compared to the notification on the Samsung? I mean, if I can see 4 lines of an email compared to 3 lines... Okay. Id still have to open the app if it's an important email or if it requires a response.

Phone rotation... Ive never noticed any issues in horizontal.

TouchWiz app drawer... If you don't like it, the benefit is that its an android and you can customize it.

Samsung screens are the best screens on any android device. The moto z2 force has a nice display, but not on par with Samsung... Also, the Force screen is one of the screens that's most prone to scratches. You can scratch it with a fingernail.

Astrodome likes this.
  8. what

what Member

You are wrong about the fast charging and the finger print scanner is terrible.
    I can't tell you how many times it locked me out. And you have to put your finger on it the right way and still problems are there.

9. what

what Member

Also, while you are right that the Motorola Z2 Force is more prone to scratching; if the screen does get damaged it's only a $50 repair while the Samsung S8 if it gets damaged it's almost likely unrepairable, or will cost you more than it's worth. You could say that that's what insurance is for and I agree but with the Motorola Z2 Force you're not going to have to have insurance as a mandatory requirement since the repairs will be less than what you would have to pay for the deductible on traditional insurance. Again you could add a screen protector and a case but when you do that you are devaluing the Samsung display experience.

The main takeaway here is that Motorola warranties the Z2 Force against damage to the display and/or the Shatter-Shield. Samsung does not.

#9 what, Nov 15, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  10. rezdawg

Fast charging is more important in phones that need to be fast charged. I get about 7 hours of screen on time with the Note 8, so not as crucial for me.

Fingerprint scanner has yet to lock me out...its perfection.

11. rezdawg

12. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

This is why I get the latest Samsung device.

Primary being: My company reimburses my cell phone bill which includes the financed cost of the phone. Samsung comes out with a new phone every year. Verizon will buy out my old phone after 1 year and let me get the latest device. Pre-orders net me goodies. Sams Club gave me $150.00 gift card and I get the Samsung promotions. Samsung has me hooked in their cycle. W/out the employer reimbursement, I would just go with a cheap phone that is paid off.

Secondary: Samsung continuously improves their product. Is it perfect? No. But over the last 5 years, they have made steady improvements. When they screw up, they own it (See Note 7 fiasco). The S8 is a very good phone and I have very little issues with it. Contrast to other brands, they do not have the consistency. Motorola is notorious for releasing a great phone then 2-3 years of crap phones. I am not going to make unnecessary gambles and get stuck with a crap phone.

If I had to complain about my S8+, its the battery life. But I am not so hooked to my phone that I can't live w/out it for 30 minutes a day while it charges.

13. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I've been spoiled by freedom. With Windows Phone/Windows Mobile 10 I could upgrade the OS, be on betas and demo things with ease. I had control. I switched to a Nexus 6p and again could customize the **** out of it. Now, with the Samsung 8+ I'm locked. You have to use their crappy version of everything. Rooting affords almost nothing worth a damn, and the device is what it is. Amazing hardware, but honestly, I'm half tempted to see if someone will switch me my 8+ for a Pixel 2 straight up. That's how frustrated I am with this phone.

14. Pizza_Da_Hut

You are in the minority in terms of fingerprint scanner experience. Even samsung fanboys complain about it. It's horrendous. Your finger is wet, or it didn't sense it correctly, or something. It works about as often as the facial scan worked on my 950 XL.

15. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Does any touch sensor work well when the screen is wet? My experience is none of them do.

I use my S7 fingerprint scanner all the time and it works fine. Keep in mind that if you scan it in horizontally, it will not translate that vertically. So I set up all 4 of my stored fingerprints in different angles and positions so it'll identify it each time I use it. Haven't had any problem.

16. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

only had the s8+ for a couple of weeks. skipped frames here and there, write speed, and bixby button were minor irritations... but could live with those. fingerprint sensor placement ultimately made me return it (heard they're moving it to the center back next go round).

otherwise it's a very solid, quality phone. prettiest screen and 2nd best bezeless implementation imo.

17. what

what Member

If you are a fan of the Galaxy S7 that's good. But most of the issues I listed are valid. The phone has terrible software and even some of the hardware is bad.

18. Pizza_Da_Hut

I'm not saying my finger is sobbing wet, or that the phone is wet, if there's an ounce of sweat on my finger it gets angry. Never had that problem with the 6p. That was a fingerprint sensor.

19. Pizza_Da_Hut

The screen is what really attracted me to it in the first place. I have to say, that has not let me down.

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  20. what

what Member

The screen is nice.