1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between Luka and the Mavs and Shai and the Thunder. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Did we jump the gun with Cecil Cooper?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Drewdog, Oct 11, 2007.

1. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

just a few names to float around:

Joe Torre
    Tony LaRussa

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......... :confused:

There wasnt even a search - they just gave him the job. I don't get it.

2. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

No because Drayton will not spend for a high dollar manager, it's ok things worked out well with Dierker and I am thinking it will work out well with Cooper

3. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I'd be shocked if either one were to seriously consider coming here.

Evan

4. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

I think they jumped the gun on both GM and Manager. There are some quality names out there for both positions and I think Houston would be somewhere that big names would like to go. We have a history of winning and getting talent and pretty much anyone that comes to Houston loves it. Less pressure, good fans, good weather, no state income tax.....

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Cooper has been up for many managerial jobs over the past few years. It's not like he wasn't ready. I don't think they messed up at all.

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to change opinion on this post at any time.

I think they rushed the GM position, though. There was no big hurry between the time they canned Purpura and the end of the season to get this done. I'm not sure why they felt pressured to get someone in ASAP. I'm willing to give Wade the benefit of the doubt for now, but I would have much preferred to see Walt Jocketty in here.

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Throw in Trey Hillman. The Astros definitely jumped the gun. Not that Cecil Cooper might not have ended up being the best man for the job, but to not even interview other candidates...

7. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I have no problem with them hiring Coop but wish they would have at least done a coaching search first.

The football team at my alma mater lost it's head coach and they didn't do a coaching search and just promoted an assistant with no HC experience. They were an FCS Pre-season Top 25 team and now they're 1-4 and look like total crap.

It may be comparing apples and oranges but it seems sloppy to not even consider all the options.

8. Nero

Nero Member

Don't you guys know that all that really matters is that Drayton has now proved that he truly is a *Man Who Is Sensitive To Diversity*. Nothing else matters now, and now no one is allowed to point out the 'composition' of his teams anymore.

9. msn

msn Member

Drayton hasn't had something to prove ever, but even if folks thought he did they'd need to check who hired the first African-American GM in the history of MLB.

10. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Astros will spend the next 2-3 years rebuilding and won't need a top flight coach during the rebuild.

11. JaWindex

JaWindex Contributing Member

Reloading. The buzz word is reloading. ;)

12. Drewdog

It just seems almost lazy to me....

Why not just give Cecil the job in the first place? I mean usually when you hire an "interim" manager, that means you have other people in mind for the job..... Which the Astros obviously did not. I mean they did that with the GM thing (even though that seemed rush too)... At least wait till the end of the season, evaluate, interview several candidates, then make the decision.

It seems knee-jerk and almost a little fishy..... My theory is that they hired an African-American manager to be "interim". Since there has been some recent speculation in the air about a racial bias in the organization, perhaps they thought they would look bad by interviewing other white candidates, and ultimately giving a white candidate the job - shunning the African-American who held the job for a few months. I dont know... just thinking out loud here.

thoughts?

13. msn

msn Member

I'd be stunned if the Astros were even aware of, much less motivated by, a few people on an Internet bulletin board who thought such stupid tihngs.

14. franchise?..NOT

Copper is not a difference maker to me either way. He seems much more hands off than Garner.

Get the players and I don't think he will screw it up.

15. Drewdog

C'mon its not that far fetched..... ;)

16. compacer

compacer Member

Haha Dayton actually spending money and that to on a coach... yea not going to happen.

17. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Yeah, it's not like he's had one of the higher payrolls in the league the last few years or anything. :rolleyes:

18. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Yeah it's not like his revenues didn't justify his payroll or anything :rolleyes:

to answer the original question, yes we jumped the gun. If! and I mean a big ass ol' if!, we are still trying to win now.

However, there is no guarantee that any of the premier coaches would have come here and we are a few players (namely a number 2 and possibly number 3 pitcher) away from being a contender again. So in the name of baseball, if you believe that Cooper needed a shot and can concurrently develop talent and coach veterans, then he is the right man.

As far as the payroll and Drayton either being or not being a cheap ass:

He is a business man. He spends what he needs to, to generate a buzz and have a good team. He will not bend to the will of an agent or the public. I respect that and think he's the best owner that the astros have ever had. Just being free spending doesn't make you a great owner. My only complaint is that I wish he were a little more hands off and hadn't run Hunsicker out of town.

19. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

We're not re-building. That's what Tamp Bay does.

20. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Uncle Drayton doesn't like white managers.