1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Did Tony Parker try and TROLL Russell Westbrook before this WCF with his comments?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ObamaFan, May 27, 2012.

1. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2012/05/tony-parker-ready-to-attack-russell-westbrook/

On the evening of Feb. 4, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich walked into the dressing room at the AT&T Center and all but installed a green light in front of his point guard’s locker stall. Forget passing the ball. Popovich wanted Tony Parker to get up at least 30 shots that night against Oklahoma City. Parker “only” attempted 29 field goals in a 107-96 victory over the Thunder, good for a season-high 42 points. In the end, the performance transformed what should have been remembered as the night he passed Avery Johnson as the Spurs’ all-time assist leader into the night he completely obliterated the Thunder’s Russell Westbrook. “Definitely, I think it sent a message,” said Boris Diaw, the Spurs’ starting center and Parker’s best friend.

It is Westbrook, and not three-time NBA scoring champ Kevin Durant, who Parker says sets the tone for Oklahoma City. “He’s definitely the head of the snake on this team,” Parker said. “Durant is obviously the best scorer in this league, but I think Westbrook is the one who makes them go.” [...] “I’m definitely going to go at him,” said Parker, 30, who is averaging a team-best 19.1 points and 7.1 assists in the postseason. “It’s not going to be like Dallas or the Lakers, where their point guards are not as aggressive. I’m going to go at him and make sure he works a little bit.”

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aKrfMofaTHI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

-----------------

If their is one thing we know about the Spurs, its that they will use every advantage in the book if it helps them win games.

You dont think Poppovich knows about Russell Westbrook short temper, and his me-first approach to the game sometimes. Raymond Felton came out 1 year, and said that Westbrook looks to win the 1-one-1 matchup with his opposing PG, rather than going up againist a team.

http://www.dailythunder.com/2012/01/raymond-felton-says-russell-westbrook-isnt-a-team-player/

“That’s the type of guy he is, that’s his mindset, that’s how he plays,” Felton said when I remarked about Westbrook’s win-the-battle, but lose-the-war mentality. “He’s always in a one-on-one battle with all the point guards. I’m not really into that. I’m into winning. If you win, everybody gets the praises. We are not wearing ‘Felton’ on the front of our jerseys; it says Blazers. I care about the Blazers winning."

I think Tony Parker( who is usually not a mouthy guy). Planned to use these remarks and rile up Westbrook to go at Parker 100%( taking the Thunder out of their game), and im gonna laugh if Skip Bayless of all people turns out to be right about Westbrook.

2. what

what Member

He's telling the truth. Westbrook is THE engine on that team. People fear westbrook more than they fear durant.

3. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

hahah can i have what you are smoking

4. what

what Member

you can think what you want. it is the truth.

5. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

but rudy gay was about to show the world he was on kevin durant's level!

6. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

So he's basically saying Gay carries Randolph's jockstrap as the 2nd banana.

7. sw847

sw847 Member

to some degree I actually agree with him.

you know that you are gong to get from Durant and it is pretty much certain in the way he is going to attack the defence.

but with westbrook, he is the Xfactor to me. one night is will only score 15, while in others will explode for 30. one night he will fall in love with long jumpers while others will attack the rim relentlessly. So i guess opposition tend to fear the unknown a bit more.

anyway, just my lowly opinion.....carry on:grin:

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Kill the head and the body will die.

We've got to do everything in the world to make sure we kill Russell Westbrook's head. We want him running sideways. We want his head sideways. Every single one of you, affect the head. Early. Affect the head. Continue, touch and hit the head.

Signed,

Greg Williams

9. VBG

VBG Member

Westbrook scares me more than Durant. Sure, Durant can score effortlessly but I feel like every little thing Westbrook does changes a game more than Durant's scoring.

10. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

So clutch shooting doesnt factor in the equation

Last second shot for the win, who do you want shooting the ball?

11. conquistador#11

of course! pop is highly trained on intel gathering, everything they say is calculated. parker knows westbrook takes everything so personal. It's also nice having a coach on the sideline that will deny the hot hand for the thunder, unlike other coaches that never adjusted.

12. 713

713 Member

Westbrook > Durant.

13. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Your thought process regarding Durant is a little suspect at this point. Sit this one out.

2 people like this.
  14. CaptainRox

CaptainRox Member

Like OP said, Parker is mind f****ing Westbrook. Feeding his ego and such. Youre crazy if you think Durants not the main man in OKC

15. what

what Member

You must not have seen my westbrick comments?

I've changed my opinion on him. He is getting better and better.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

But but they told Yao to eat the HEAD

17. Damion Laverne

Taking a page out of Phil Jackson's playbook.

18. VBG

VBG Member

Oh clearly Durant should be the one with the ball in the clutch.

But apart from the clutch it's Westbrook with the ball in his hands.

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

It is not about Westbrook being better . . . but probably more inconsistant
    Durant - pencil him in for 25 . . . .
    Westbrook . . .If he goes for 10 . .. put the loss in ink
    If he goes for 25 . . . probably a win . . . .

Durant is going to be Durant and get his
    So . . the determiner of a win or loss is more Westbrook than Durant

Rocket River

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Parker wasn't trying to do anything... y'all are reading way too much into his harmless comments. I doubt Westbrook even remembers those remarks for more than a few seconds when he hears them.