1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Did they really need to get rid if Paul?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pringles09, Jan 20, 2020.

1. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Harden did say at the start of the season that if we fail to win it all this year, it'll be on him because he wanted the trade to happen.

I don't think we'll be seeing a "I tried man, I can't-" T-Mac postgame from Harden.

2. juanm34

juanm34 Member

The Paul / Westbrick trade was pushed by The Tilman to save a couple of dollars. I dont see a problem with that. I do see a problem in not spending those saved dollars on actual talent to improve our roster.

BaselineFade likes this.
  3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Wasn't it pushed by Harden?

4. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

How did it save money? Westbrook's contract is exactly the same as Paul's, but goes for one more year. (Which just gives more fuel to that idiotic idea that the Rockets can't spend this year, 'cause Muh Repeater Luxury Tax Penalty!') Also, the Rockets had to kick in draft picks---which is how normal teams find good cheap talent---to make the deal work. Contracts wise, Fertitta lost money on this deal. Now, they probably make it back with higher ticket/suite prices, 'Two MVPS!', but this wasn't a money saving trade.

Also, while Paul is playing pretty much to the minute in OKC, what his usage was here, I don't think he'd have stayed injury-free had he stayed with Houston. He'd probably play both games of a back-to-back though...

5. Bo6

Bo6 Member

i think getting rid of paul was the right move.

but the wrong move was not changing the team up completely.. IE shipping off Capela/Gordon/Rivers.. etc.

6. Moahst

Moahst Member

You can't have tunnel vision when you think about the trade. We might have been better off with CP3 this season but for the next 3 years I think Russ is going to get us more wins.

eliefor3 likes this.
  7. CertifiedTroll

If he was on the Rockets he would have already beeb injured. Even with the elite medical abilities of Keith Jones.

Gray_Jay and juanm34 like this.
  8. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

the trade was as much about how CP will play next year (when he makes even more money) as much as it was about how he would play this year.
    it was a bit of a overreaction (just like wondering if he should have been traded)

I didn't like the trade at the time but more bc I didn't think Westbrook would fit into the rockets shoot 3s offense. Suprisingly, Westbrook has been playing pretty well lately. It would be cool to see how this team will do once Harden gets his shot back to go with Westbrook's recent performance

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

huh? he didn't save anything. Wb's contract is longer with him making $47 mil in that last year. and on top of that he gave up assets with it.

Gray_Jay likes this.
  10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Meanwhile Russ has had several knee surgeries ......and relies on his athleticism.....over skill.

DD

11. JW86

JW86 Member

Yes we needed to, since trading Harden is not an option and MDA nor Harden would have allowed / put CP3 in a position to play to the best of his capabilities. CP3 needs his own team to lead, Westbrook doesn’t.

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

nope. Tilman took a 65 win team and trashed it. instead of continuing to maintain it's shelf-life and spend to surround the team with quality players, he broke it up for LTS. just a plain idiot. he has 0 clue how to run a NBA franchise and be an actual title contender. can't wait for his son to take over officially. oh boy

13. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Honestly, whose to say CP3 on THIS roster would have made THIS team any better than it already is? The issue is a dearth in talent and depth. Sure role players having Paul as the point guard might make them slightly better but the players surrounding Harden and Russ are, overall, not good.

BeBreezy likes this.